Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2021, 04:50 AM   #1041
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

RHD Ty Gallagher,6'0"190lbs (USNTDP Juniors): 25gp/5g/7a/12pts,19PIM, 30th in USHL for D in p/gp, ahead of Jack Bar, and Guillaume Richard. Talented D-man whose calling card right now is his air-tight defensive game, but he also has a very underrated offensive game, IMO. His numbers would be much higher if he wasn't playing behind the likes of Behrens, Schmidt, Hreschuk, and Hughes-meaning low ice-time in a supporting role, with barely any PP time. Also, consider this: In his USNTDP career, he has 24 goals, which is better than the likes of Cam York (22), Bode Wilde (20), Will Butcher (19), and Justin Faulk (19). He upped his draft stock at the U-18s, with 3 goals in 5 games. Gallagher is well-schooled on his position in the USHL, and he keeps it simple-playing a responsible, defensive game.

Gallagher is good in all facets of defensive play-box-outs, rush neutralization, pinning opponents to the wall, sealing off attackers on the boards, blocking shots, and protecting the crease. He uses a smart, active stick in breaking up passes, and anticipates rush patterns, then shuts them down. Exhibits great mental quickness. Forces turnovers, and can play a physical, edgy game-he's very tenacious, and can body check hard. He will join the rush, but is always ready to hustle back to cover his defensive duties. He can execute a clean breakout with his feet, or a pass. Solid skater with good acceleration-he can exploit space easily, and separate on the rush. Solid puck-mover, and great in transition, with quick defensive zone activations. Ty processes the game extremely well-he responds positively to pressure-stays calm, no turnovers.

Gallagher brings his good habits with him to the offensive zone-he's patient in waiting for teammates to get open, or for a screen to develop to unleash his howitzer of a shot, which comes with a quick release. All in all, he seems to me to be the solid, puck-moving D-man suited to today's NHL-he's already got the advanced defensive game, he just needs a chance to offer up more offense-and he might get it next year at Notre Dame. First, he needs work on his skating-it's not bad at all, just needs more explosiveness, and a better top speed. Next, he needs to fill out and get stronger-which will help clean up the skating, and help him handle bigger opponents at the next level. His consistency can be tightened up, and his longer outlet passes are an issue-they often miss their mark, leading to turnovers and icings. Gallagher is the type of pick who could easily flourish into a steal-he already has the foundation to build up an impressive offensive game to go with what he can do in his own end. He could be a bottom-pair defensive guy who plays on special teams, or he could develop into an everyday top-4 D in the NHL. Look for him in the 3rd round.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 05:19 AM   #1042
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

LHD Jakub Sedivy,6'1"196lbs (HC Benatky nad Jiserov,CZE): 23gp/1g/2a/3pts,36PIM, playing in a men's league. Sedivy was selected as one of his team's three stars after the U-18 tournament, where he served as Captain. Sedivy has a good toolkit, mixed with his size and physicality. He's a very aggressive player at both ends, and he checks hard. Was tasked to play a defensive role at the U-18s, and he seemed to take the responsibility seriously. He's a good two-way defenseman at the junior level, but I think he'll be more of a defense-first guy if he ever makes it. He skates well, and loves to jump into the play, to create offense, although he can sometimes make inopportune pinches that hang his teammates out to dry, and can sometimes take himself out of the play with an ill-timed hit. He has a hard, heavy shot with a good release. If he makes it it will be as a bottom-4 guy, most likely bottom-pairing. I'm guessing 6th round.

LHD Jeremy Hanzel.6'1"176lbs (Seattle, WHL): 23gp/2g/6a/8pts. He's a solid, puck-moving transitional D. Hanzel is an excellent skater, extremely elusive and slippery-and he knows how to use subtle moves and fakes to gain deception over his opponents, and mislead them in order to open space elsewhere. His skating could stand to be a bit more explosive, though. He's a master of creating space. Very good puck control, and an accurate passer. He's effective in his exits, and good in the neutral zone, with advancing the puck through his passing and skating. Good problem solving skills on the fly-he adapts to what he's given. He's selective as to when and where he shoots, but his shot has accuracy and a great release. Shows plenty of creativity, but it doesn't show up in his point totals-has the toolkit to develop into a pretty dynamic offensive defenseman, as he's said to be one of the smartest D in the draft. Defensively responsible, he keeps pucks out of high-danger. Hanzel needs to work on his skating, and could use more strength and physicality. Not the strongest on the puck, and needs to learn to remain on the inside of his opponents, as he's caught out of position on occasion.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:06 AM   #1043
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

LHD Yegor Savikov,5'10"163lbs (Ladia Togliatti, MHL): Captain of the team with 4g/30a/34pts in 56 games- led the team in scoring, and highest scoring D in the MHL, despite playing in a league of 19 and 20-year-olds. Set a new franchise record for single-season assists and points. Savy is a minute-munching, puck-moving, two-way defenseman-I'm surprised he's not being talked about more.

Yegor is a puck-mover, and a great transitional player-he's capable of making clean, controlled exits and entries with the puck, and traverses the neutral zone with great elusiveness. Always engaged in the offensive zone, and stays active-jumps into the rush often, and pinches down low for offense, or to keep possession alive. Fantastic playmaker- creates offense with his vision and zone awareness. Finds time and space, and gets the puck to high-danger. Savi has a good shot with a quick release. He shows intelligence in his shot selection-he knows when to wind up for a slapper, or pick a corner, or just shoot it at the net for a rebound. He's competitive, and will battle in the hard areas, despite his size. Very confident in his offensive ability, which is his best ticket to the NHL.

Savikov is a great skater with a smooth, powerful stride. According to Savikov, he was a classic, stay-at-home type until the 2016-17 season, when he entered into the Ak Bars Kazan program-and they taught him how to join the rush and create offense. His background is probably why he exhibits good defensive play-he defends the rush well, and clogs the neutral zone well. He's excellent at breaking the puck out of the zone. Knows how to position himself, and has aggressive gap-control.

Savikov is obviously not big, and not particularly strong, so he will need to improve his strength. Despite owning good shot-selection, he needs to work on his accuracy, as he's often blocked, or his shots miss the mark. He's also known to make some questionable decisions sometimes in the defensive zone-he can be pushed into throwing the puck away under pressure, or making a bad pass-his decision-making in the D zone is a work in progress. Sometimes he can be much too aggressive when defending, and will take himself out of the play. I haven't seen his name very much, but I'll say 3rd/4th round-he has the makings of a steal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #1044
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the reviews Sandman, but we almost need another thread for them. Find myself sifting through looking for the actual draft talk. Maybe I'm alone on that. If I am i will just shut my mouth.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #1045
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

C Elias Stenman, 5'10"165lbs(SK Lejon, HockeyEttan):12gp/5g/7a/12pts,10PIM, playing in the the third-tier men's league-7th in the league in p/gp for players under 19. Earned 8 games in the SHL as well, with no points. C who helps out in both ends of the rink. Good, not elite skater with mobility, agility, and an evasive game. Has plenty of puck skills, and sees the ice well in all 3 zones-crisp, accurate passer. Finds the time and space to be creative, and gets the puck to high-danger. Sees time on both sides of special teams. Nice wrister with a quick release. Good in tight areas using his quality stickhandling-moves and dekes around, or through opponents. When he loses the puck, he fights to get it back. Stenman is adept at shutting down rushes in the neutral zone, then starts the counterattack. Stenman needs to get stronger-he's weak along the boards, and in the net-front area, and tends to use pokechecks instead. He's not particularly strong on the puck-needs to improve. He also needs to compete better in his own zone. Potentially huge offensive upside. 4th/5th round.

RHD Ethan Samson,6'1"194lbs(Prince George,WHL): 22gp/1g/11a/12pts,10PIM. 3rd leading scorer on a team that finished 13th/22 teams, but only 3 teams scored less than Prince George's paltry 57 goals. Makes me wonder what his scoring stats would look like on another, better team. Samson is not flashy, and plays a simple, yet effective game, but could be a sleeper. This two-way defender looks calm, and is an all-situations minute-munching workhorse. Displays awareness in all 3 zones-creates space, while evading attackers. Sets up teammates with lovely passes for one-timers. He's a good skater, with an efficient stride, and very light on his edges. Loves to activate into the rush, and gets off clean, crisp passes with preciion, and very little time to process. Has the same ability with his breakouts, and first-passes. Deals well with the rush-employs a fast stick, with great gap control. Will ride opponents into the wall. Battles hard in 50/50's, and uses his size to win battles, and push opponents off the puck, or away from the crease. Good shooter, with a nice wrister, and a hard slapper. Samson has a lot of raw potential, but the biggest complaint about him seems to be that he needs to be meaner, and more physical. Could be more assertive in the defensive zone. Like many d-men his age, he needs work on his decision-making, and has to fill out, and get stronger. Lots of potential to be a bottom-4 defenseman. 3rd/4th rounder.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:00 AM   #1046
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Love the reviews Sandman, but we almost need another thread for them. Find myself sifting through looking for the actual draft talk. Maybe I'm alone on that. If I am i will just shut my mouth.
I'm fine with starting a thread for future write-ups if that's what people want...
Old 06-15-2021, 03:36 AM   #1047
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

LHD Guillaume Richard,6'2"172lbs(Tri-City,USHL): 46gp/2g/14a/16pts,14PIM, tied for 36th in D scoring, 10th for D under 18. No points in 6 games at the U-18s, but he was tied for 1st in plus/minus. Here's an emerging 2-way defenseman with an unpolished toolkit. He plays in all situations, including special teams, and is developing into a 200ft D-man, who controls the play. Richard has a high IQ, and can create offense of the rush, or on the PP-he has a very good understanding of when to join the play. He reads the ice well, and is active along the blueline in looking for open lanes to exploit. Excellent stickhandler, confident with the puck-strong puck control, and maintains possession under pressure. He seems to be at his best in tight situations-he protects the puck well, and moves it quickly.

Richard is a strong skater with good mobility-he can regularly beat opponents to loose pucks. He keeps his feet moving, rarely glides, and uses smooth crossovers and edgework. Uses quick bursts to pinch into the play to keep possession, or create offense. Booming shot. He competes hard, and takes no shifts off. Dependable, with a big-time work ethic. Has some grit and sandpaper in his game, will battle along the boards, and lay the lumber in front of the net. Displays great awareness in the defensive zone-keeps good gaps, takes away time and space, and is extremely effective at suppressing chances. Picks off pucks with his long reach, and starts the transition the other way. Keeps the game in front of him, uses his stick and positioning well, blocks shots with no fear, and clogs lanes. Suffocates opposing players in front of his net. Great awareness on the PK-moves his feet, employs an active stick, and can change direction, speed, and lanes.

Many of the deficiencies that were seen in his game at the beginning of the year have steadily improved throughout the season-he has all the tools, and IQ to be a diamond in the rough. In defending 1-on-1, he was getting much more confident, and making no mistakes. Instead of panicking, forcing plays, and throwing away the puck, he was finding time and space to elude danger. His defensive play was vastly improved by the end of the year, as was his inconsistency and decision-making. Richard needs to keep building his skating, which will go up a few notches when he gets stronger, which is another must. He needs to use his size and reach to his advantage more consistently. He is still a bit raw on the offensive side of the ice, but he has all the tools to put up numbers-he used to be known as an offensive defenseman, who was bad in his own end. He will surely develop more offense in time. This is the type of player that will have a long NHL career on a second-pairing, and there will be plenty of teams that wished they drafted him. I'm thinking 3rd round.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:48 AM   #1048
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

RHD Gannon Laroque,6'2"190lbs (Victoria,WHL): 21gp/1g/6a/7pts,30PIM. Highest-scoring D on the lowly Royals, the worst team in the 'Dub. Another player whose numbers were hurt by playing on a low-scoring team with hardly any talent. By the end of the year, he had worked his way up the lineup to the top-pairing, where he saw PP time and got most of his points. The coaches love him. Smart, responsible in all 3 zones. Big, punishing defender has puck skills and some power in his stride. Very aware, and can make some high-percentage plays. Highly physical, and pretty mean. Players on the other team are fully aware when he's on the ice. Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about this player, but he sounds like the kind of player we would like. If he gets picked, it will be in the later rounds.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:35 AM   #1049
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

LHD Tyson Galloway,6'4"214lbs (Calgary, WHL): 17gp/4g/5a/9pts,6PIM. 2nd in scoring for the Hitmen, he forms a formidable pairing with 6'7" Jackson van de Leest. The things I'm sure of is that he's huge, physical, and can skate very well-those things make him enticing. The rest of his game gets mixed reviews. He keeps it simple, making his defensive positioning his first priority, and doesn't take many gambles going the other way. He only has the puck a few seconds at a time. In transition, he can make solid, simple outlet passes, and he's very hard to enter against. Quickly closes gaps with his speed, protects the net-front, and wins board battles. His play with the puck is another story-he can be easily pressured into mistakes. This is the part of his game that must be vastly improved, if he ever hopes to play pro hockey. If he does improve it, you'll have a smart, fast, physical defensive defenseman with size for your bottom-pairing. 6th/7th round, if he gets picked at all.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #1050
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pronmans Top 151
https://theathletic.com/2620093/2021...final-top-151/
Old 06-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #1051
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'm fine with starting a thread for future write-ups if that's what people want...
Just my opinion, but I prefer them here, IN the thread about the draft.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #1052
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gonna have to agree--draft information in the draft thread. Easy to find information, easy to scroll past if you aren't interested in reading.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #1053
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
How about the top 20 for free
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #1054
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
How about the top 20 for free
Owen Power
Dylan Guenther
William Eklund
Luke Hughes
Matthew Beniers
Kent Johnson
Chaz Lucius
Brandt Clarke
Mason McTavish
Sebastian Cossa
Jesper Wallstedt
Simon Edvinsson
Corson Ceulemans
Nikita Chibrikov
Matthew Coronato
Kirill Kirsanov
Carson Lambos
Cole Sillinger
Aatu Raty
Wyatt Johnston
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #1055
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually am not a fan of taking a D with a high pick especially with the Flames' current state of affairs organizationally, but Edvinsson is going to be a big time player. If Pronmans list breaks down like that I'd run to the podium and take Edvinsson.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #1056
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I usually am not a fan of taking a D with a high pick especially with the Flames' current state of affairs organizationally, but Edvinsson is going to be a big time player. If Pronmans list breaks down like that I'd run to the podium and take Edvinsson.
I've been theorizing him being the dropper - potentially all the way to the Flames, so interesting to see Pronman have it that way. First time I've seen him down at 12.
And I agree would be tremendous value in that slot.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #1057
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I've been theorizing him being the dropper - potentially all the way to the Flames, so interesting to see Pronman have it that way. First time I've seen him down at 12.
And I agree would be tremendous value in that slot.
I mean, if any of those 4 d men fall to 12 you run to the podium.
But I really really like Edvinssons skating 9ver almost anybody else's besides maybe Lysell. For a 6'4 200 lbs player he skates like an elite FW. Like if the Flames drafted him h would be by default the best skater on the team. I can't think of anybody else on the roster like that.

Actually, same would go for Lysell too. Either would have the best boots on the team.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #1058
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Edvinsson dropped to 12 I’d be ecstatic
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #1059
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is what Pronman writes on Edvisson:

Quote:
Simon Edvinsson, LHD, Frolunda-SHL
Feb. 5, 2003 | 6-foot-4 | 198 pounds

Skating: Average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Average

Edvinsson was impressive in the junior ranks in Sweden. He was good, but not amazing at varying pro levels and was an anchor for Sweden’s U18 team internationally. He stands out instantly as a 6-foot-4 defenseman with legit offensive skill. It’s rare to see a player his size lead a rush or make a play off the blue line and dangle through opponents consistently like he does. Edvinsson is also quite a good skater for his size. His straightaway speed is just OK, but he’s got great edgework, showing the first step and quick turns to elude pressure and create clean exits and entries. Defensively his size and skating allow him to close gaps and make a lot of stops and he’s not afraid to be physical. He’s not a dynamic playmaker, but Edvinsson can make the heads-up first pass and shows some power-play poise. In a sentence, Edvinsson projects as a quality top-four defenseman and on a power-play unit with the potential to play higher in an NHL lineup.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #1060
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Updated Consensus with Pronman

He certainly changed up the order a bit!

https://www.calgarypuck.com/wp-conte...onsensus-1.pdf

9 Jesper Wallstedt G #SHL 7 4 12 11 13 11 10 10 17 8 4 9 6 13 9 9 9.56
10 Fabian Lysell RW #SHL 9 10 3 11 27 14 22 12 9 10 5 9 27 7 7 5 11 11.81
11 Chaz Lucius C #USDP 12 12 16 10 10 16 7 9 13 19 25 6 15 18 16 13 12 13.56
12 Cole Sillinger C #USHL 10 13 14 15 13 10 18 13 18 16 13 14 17 12 14 12 13 14.06
13 Mason Mctavish C #SL 2 15 29 9 9 9 9 11 14 21 32 16 14 5 20 7 10 14.38
14 Aatu Raty C #Liiga 3 19 11 14 20 12 19 20 11 3 9 12 29 20 8 28 19 15.88
15 Carson Lambos D #U20 SM-sarja 11 22 28 18 17 5 17 15 20 2 15 12 30 12 25 14 16.80

Lysell down.
Lucius up.

Wallstedt creeping towards the Calgary pick range.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: