Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #11941
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most agree it isn’t the right time to go for it
But I think most agree that the team will indeed try for a retool over a rebuild
So if that’s true might as well go for Eichel
Old 05-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #11942
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a rebuild is near inevitable (which I suspect it is), I'm OK with a hail mary to try and salvage this era of the Flames.

For that reason, I'd rather trade prospects and players vs. too many picks. But I don't imagine we have any prospects that will get the Sabres too excited.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 PM   #11943
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Reinhart is gonna be a Flame this offseason.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #11944
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
No, your not an instant contender with him. First, you have to give up value to get him...likely a lot because it'll be a bidding war, that will weaken the team. Second, herniated disks in the neck is a pretty significant injury. Imagine giving up so much value for a player that might never be what he was pre injury.

The teams like LA or the rangers that can and will make offers have a lot of high end prospects they could give up. The Flames can't put together a package anywhere close to that good, and you know how those teams got those prospects? They did bad and got good picks, they weren't bubble teams with late teens/early 20's picks.

This just isn't the right time to "go for it"
I didn’t say Eichel makes us an instant contender.

I said you can’t contend without at least one player who’s at least as good as JE.

Which you can’t, and we don’t.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #11945
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think Reinhart is gonna be a Flame this offseason.
Flames need to get faster, not slower.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #11946
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is never a bad time to go for a 24 year old star center
Old 05-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #11947
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

It won't really kill our roster, or mortgage our future to go get Eichel-we're looking probably at 4 assets going the other way. Two younger players from our roster, one you could theorize would be Tkachuk, and 2 prospects/picks. Still think there's a handful of teams that could beat any offer we put forth, but we should be trying our best to land this guy if he's available-He's one of the best young players at the most important position in hockey. Grab him now, and fill in the roster whatever way you can. If you have a true #1C, then you don't have to worry about being one of the many teams looking for a #1C.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #11948
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
It won't really kill our roster, or mortgage our future to go get Eichel-we're looking probably at 4 assets going the other way. Two younger players from our roster, one you could theorize would be Tkachuk, and 2 prospects/picks. Still think there's a handful of teams that could beat any offer we put forth, but we should be trying our best to land this guy if he's available-He's one of the best young players at the most important position in hockey. Grab him now, and fill in the roster whatever way you can. If you have a true #1C, then you don't have to worry about being one of the many teams looking for a #1C.
You also can't underestimate how big of an improvement a sniper like Andrew Mangiapane could make with a playmaking center setting him up for one-timers all game. Eatbread is already a solid scorer playing with a guy like Backlund, but give him Eichel and he's probably a star.

It's a totally different team with Jack Eichel.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:14 PM   #11949
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You also can't underestimate how big of an improvement a sniper like Andrew Mangiapane could make with a playmaking center setting him up for one-timers all game. Eatbread is already a solid scorer playing with a guy like Backlund, but give him Eichel and he's probably a star.

It's a totally different team with Jack Eichel.
Yup, and we would see a different Gaudreau as well-he's already finding his niche under Sutter, having Eichel around would do him wonders.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #11950
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What primary piece are the flames trading that entices the sabres? Lindholm? I don’t think Gaudreau or tkachuk have enough value with their contract situations and not being centre’s.

They will want a (potential) top line center coming back.

Last edited by Weitz; 05-10-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #11951
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Yup, and we would see a different Gaudreau as well-he's already finding his niche under Sutter, having Eichel around would do him wonders.
I also think Jack Eichel himself would be a better player under Sutter. Here are the coaches he's played for:

Dan Bylsma - although technically a cup winning coach, he rode Crosby, Letang, Fleury, and Malkin to it, and generally seemed like a "Geoff Ward" type. Hasn't coached in the league since the Sabres let him go.

Phil Housley - although a pretty accomplished player and assistant with the Preds, he was a greenhorn. I think he's a decent head coach, but not exactly an experienced one at any level.

Ralph Krueger - literally had the Sabres playing their worst hockey ever. His systems seemed to assume he was coaching the 80s Soviet teams on big ice. Will probably never coach a professional hockey game ever again.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #11952
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What primary piece are the flames trading that entices the sabres? Lindholm? I don’t think Gaudreau or tkachuk have enough value with their contract situations and not being centre’s.

Then they can have Lindholm.

You can find another Lindholm.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #11953
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ralph Krueger set back more than a few players' careers on that Sabres roster. I agree on Housley and Bylsma too. Sutter is a master of player usage, and getting the most out his stars. One more thing-wouldn't it be great to have a guy who can skate with guys like Mcdavid and Matthews, etc?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:29 PM   #11954
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Flames need to get faster, not slower.
The Flames a need top 6 forward, not Ritchie slotted there.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:31 PM   #11955
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Why would they want Lindholm? He will be 27 next year and in 3 years will want big money. He is highly valuable but not to a rebuilding team like the Sabres. Tkachuk would still be their prime target he is the only centerpiece that makes any sense and even then I don’t think he makes as much sense as what other teams will be able to offer.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #11956
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Yeah, you can probably make do with Monahan/Backlund/Ryan as long as your top C is Eichel. I still think Monahan is a question mark as to his career. I’m not banking on improvement (other than maybe defensively) but I’m not discounting the possibility. Backlund and Ryan (if they can grab him on a good contract) are both decent enough. There are some kids worth working in as well. Or you can work on other trades as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #11957
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

As much as I cringe to say so, I agree-although players like Lindy don't come around every day. Centers like Eichel come around much less though.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #11958
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why would they want Lindholm? He will be 27 next year and in 3 years will want big money. He is highly valuable but not to a rebuilding team like the Sabres. Tkachuk would still be their prime target he is the only centerpiece that makes any sense and even then I don’t think he makes as much sense as what other teams will be able to offer.
Because he’s (a) cheap and (b) never will break the bank. In 3 years he’ll be 30 and I bet his contract isn’t a whole lot bigger as a cap percentage (and if he is worth a raise - bonus). He’d be a great trade asset in 2.5 years as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #11959
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Because he’s (a) cheap and (b) never will break the bank. In 3 years he’ll be 30 and I bet his contract isn’t a whole lot bigger as a cap percentage (and if he is worth a raise - bonus). He’d be a great trade asset in 2.5 years as well.
And Lindy would be the perfect stop-gap until Cozens is ready to be the #1 guy.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #11960
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, you can probably make do with Monahan/Backlund/Ryan as long as your top C is Eichel. I still think Monahan is a question mark as to his career. I’m not banking on improvement (other than maybe defensively) but I’m not discounting the possibility. Backlund and Ryan (if they can grab him on a good contract) are both decent enough. There are some kids worth working in as well. Or you can work on other trades as well.
Back in 2012, The Kings' second line was Penner - Richards - Carter.

Considering Sutter has already tried Monahan at LW in the most recent game, I could very well see him trying something similar with Monahan on Backlund's wing.

Let's assume Lindholm and Tkachuk is what it takes.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Mangiapane
Monahan - Backlund - X

if that's your top five forward group, I think you can try a guy like Dube as your 3C and focus on bringing in a Silfverberg or Rakell type in a different trade. Or maybe Dube takes the next step as a winger?

Or maybe offer to take Tyler Johnson off Tampa's hands to play 3C or 2RW as a fallback option.

Lucic - Johnson - X

I think that could work if the cap hits aren't an issue. Though I'd prefer to keep one of Lindholm and Tkachuk if possible.

Either way, a lot of teams add that last top six piece at the trade deadline. Look at Boston adding Hall this year, for instance. Or back to Sutter's Kings, Gaborik was a deadline acquisition in 2014. So it's not always how stacked you are to start the year. It's about playing a winning style and being in a playoff spot. Then you ask Arizona if they're willing to part with Phil Kessel for 32nd overall.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-10-2021 at 11:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread