Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

IF the NHL had a team in Wisconsin, that team would have most likely joined the boycott, which would have sparked other teams to show solidarity. Not that the issue is isolated by geography, but the ability to draw attention to it and make a difference has a geographic component.

I don't think the NHL players boycotting would make the news for more than 5 minutes.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-26-2020 at 11:54 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #22
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious, what's the exit criteria of these boycotts exactly?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #23
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Obviously the ongoing issues will not be solved for a long time. Does this mean leagues are going to shut down for all of next year as well? No. So why should it now?

The message should be to motivate people to vote the right people into government that will reform the systems in place that allow these things to continue. Sports teams are a business and they need to continue if they are going to survive.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Obviously the ongoing issues will not be solved for a long time. Does this mean leagues are going to shut down for all of next year as well? No. So why should it now?

The message should be to motivate people to vote the right people into government that will reform the systems in place that allow these things to continue. Sports teams are a business and they need to continue if they are going to survive.
No because then the players would be losing money...let me know when Lebron forfeits his 40M. Actually that money could do a lot of good
Old 08-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #25
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Even the fact that we are talking about it right (whether it happens or not) is a good thing.

Because it gets the word out there and brings more attention to the utter #### show that is the current state of the United States of America.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #26
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see how not playing has a greater positive impact than playing. Already, the fact there was a game with many viewers gave Anson Carter a larger platform to discuss the issue. A media release and then silence is worse.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 08-26-2020 at 10:19 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #27
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol, the guy's not even dead. I'll be pissed if the NHL skips a day over this nonsense.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #28
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Lol, the guy's not even dead. I'll be pissed if the NHL skips a day over this nonsense.
Comments right here are why it should be cancelled. It's for the people that are either too dense or willfully ignorant to understand the issue in the US.

Could potentially get the message through their thick skulls. Maybe.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever the NHL does now is not very sincere frankly. Unless they just keep playing I suppose.

The NBA isn’t playing because a good number of players don’t want to play. Agree or disagree with the reasoning or impact but I don’t think we can argue that point.

Is there a reason to think the NHL players feel the same way? It’s certainly not something they’ve been vocal about.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #30
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What is wrong with you? This is the problem right here, despicable response.

I think the boycotting is an effort to open the owners eyes and get them to provide more action and not just lip service, even though many don't even provide that. The owners are some of the wealthiest most influential people in North America. If kneeling, attire and public out cry from players isn't doing anything, maybe no playing and costing owners millions/billions will.

I'm under the belief that the games shouldn't have been played tonight. The NHL is always last to the party when it comes to important global issues. The culture in hockey at all levels is super toxic.

Last edited by CGY12; 08-26-2020 at 10:46 PM.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I get this is an emotional issue but it’s a bad look for her to cry foul before anything even happens. Was she expecting the NHL to preemptively shut the playoffs down before this was even an option? Because they’ve literally had like 4 hours to consider this. Hardly enough time to start calling them hypocrites.
Turns out she’s not even close to the only one. I checked twitter and the NHL is getting absolutely roasted for not postponing games tonight. Unsurprisingly it is 100% white media members who of course wouldn’t dream of sacrificing an ounce of their privilege but are more than happy to label the NHL as a bunch of regressive money hungry racists.

Not to mention the fact the NBA didn’t do ####, Lebron et al did. So it’s a little disappointing to see these moron media members acting like it’s all the NHLs fault that games are being played. Which of course all these jackass media are still happy to cover between self righteous tweets.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #32
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't the Blue Jays play tonight?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Didn't the Blue Jays play tonight?
Yup and about a dozen games too, if not more. Still one going on according to google.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #34
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Comments right here are why it should be cancelled. It's for the people that are either too dense or willfully ignorant to understand the issue in the US.

Could potentially get the message through their thick skulls. Maybe.
Nah, I understand just fine. Maybe the "peaceful protesters" should educate themselves.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #35
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, I understand just fine. Maybe the "peaceful protesters" should educate themselves.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #36
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I fully support BLM and the anti racism movements and sentiments across the board.

However I'm not sure what the NHL (or any sports league) cancelling games does to help anything? Especially when the NHL games are being played in Canada. Does "raising awareness" help? Does a "sign of solidarity" mean anything ultimately? It doesn't look great when the NHL is the stand out, but it all just feels hollow to me.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1298834413854355460

Harsh words from Aliu for what amounts to an empty gesture regardless IMO. Does cancelling NHL games send a message that lands for anyone? I obviously get the outrage to the injustices, but I guess I don't get what cancelling professional sports actually accomplishes. To me, regardless of what is done these all come across as the current version of posting "thoughts and prayers" as a social media status.

Last edited by AC; 08-26-2020 at 11:10 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #37
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Americans worship sports and money.

I think an impact can be made by all pro-sports doing this, because it sends a really profound message.

But, I wonder about the longevity and therefore true effectiveness of such a boycott because these leagues are all very big money businesses, which make a lot of owners and athletes rich. As such, not sure it would prolong beyond just these playoffs.

Personally I think they should and I'm about 50/50 on whether they actually will or not.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:16 PM   #38
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Cancelling games is maybe half the equation. You want to cancel games to draw attention? Great, what are you going to do with that attention? The NHL had their little moment at the beginning of the qualifying round... but what since then? What have they done? What’s changed? Was that it?

I’m not sure if they’ll cancel games, I’m leaning towards no, but if they do, I want to know what they’re actually doing about the issue, outside of selling some t-shirts.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:20 PM   #39
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The point of boycotting is generally to create financial pressure to make changes. Major leagues sports are big business, so shutting them down does create a situation where the owners and probably people leading sports media companies are starting to make calls to politicians to "fix this".

You could also argue that sports are a distraction from real issues, and that's why they should be shut down.

I think those are both valid arguments to shut the NHL down, and neither is really dependent on where the games are played. It doesn't really matter where the bubbles are, when there's no fans. If the players felt they want/need to do this, I would support them.

That said, I get the argument that it's a bit much to _demand_ mostly white Canadians and Europeans playing in Canada should join the boycott just because they're also sports.

Why not demand Netflix etc. to shut down while you're at it? All the same arguments apply to them that apply to the NHL.

Last edited by Itse; 08-26-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 11:22 PM   #40
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

that's a pretty weird take from somebody like you (Pepsi) and after reading everything you'd posted about in the off topic forum.

Wouldn't canceling the games / season in / of itself effectively be a protest or a form of protest? What was the point of the NBA teams canceling their seasons tonight?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics