Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #6121
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I don't give a crap about your kid or your soon to be born kid. I just don't care. Don't invite me to the party. In fact, you shouldn't invite me to a wedding either.

How can I get that known? Should I post it to Facebook?
Sounds like you don't actually like your friends. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having friends I think.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #6122
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure if it has been discussed but I have noticed a lot lately a lot of people/drivers using the handicap parking stalls don’t have any physical disabilities . I know that disabilities are both invisible and visible but isn’t it the parking stall is for people with mobility issues? I have seen on multiple occasions that the drivers using the stall run in to the store and run back ! I know some friends that have family members having mobility issues take offence to this lack of respect and entitlement from drivers taking advantage of this privilege! Rant over!
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #6123
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
I know that disabilities are both invisible and visible but isn’t it the parking stall is for people with mobility issues? I have seen on multiple occasions that the drivers using the stall run in to the store and run back
Invisible disabilities in that context doesn't mean they don't have physical disabilities or mobility issues. It means they have mobility issues that you don't see. Something that could make standing or walking too long painful, but you won't notice if they are quickly running in and out.

I'd say if they have a placard (or obvious impairment like a wheelchair) to just assume they have a disability and go about your day. If they don't have a placard and don't appear impaired, then maybe you can ask them why they are parking without their placard.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #6124
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely nothing you can do or say, but often the person driving isn't the one who got the placard. They aren't permitted to use the spot without the applicable person in the vehicle, but I assume many do, anyway. The other day I saw the passenger stay in the car, and the driver run in to the liquor store.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #6125
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Definitely nothing you can do or say, but often the person driving isn't the one who got the placard. They aren't permitted to use the spot without the applicable person in the vehicle, but I assume many do, anyway. The other day I saw the passenger stay in the car, and the driver run in to the liquor store.
Imagine being this person though eh? Even crazier, imagine calling the type of person who would do this out on it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #6126
Frankster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a lifetime placard, and you might not know it to look at me, but I have had a stroke and lost all of my left side peripheral vision. Because I am in my fourties, I get dirty looks all of the time when we park in a disabled stall.
Frankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #6127
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Invisible disabilities in that context doesn't mean they don't have physical disabilities or mobility issues. It means they have mobility issues that you don't see. Something that could make standing or walking too long painful, but you won't notice if they are quickly running in and out.

I'd say if they have a placard (or obvious impairment like a wheelchair) to just assume they have a disability and go about your day. If they don't have a placard and don't appear impaired, then maybe you can ask them why they are parking without their placard.
I totally get that invisible disabilities can cause significant pain resulting in mobility impairments but to use the stall because people are just too entitled or just being lazy. I think that this pandemic has brought out the worst in people.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM   #6128
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Unless you’re Steven Hawking you shouldn’t use a handicap placard. Got it.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #6129
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I totally get that invisible disabilities can cause significant pain resulting in mobility impairments but to use the stall because people are just too entitled or just being lazy. I think that this pandemic has brought out the worst in people.
Disabled parking infractions are certainly not new. Iíd caution against assuming the worst in everyone is brought in my the pandemic...#######s have always been around, and always will.

Also, person on my work team always needs to be the one talking during any sort of meeting. Roundtable? You know theyíre taking 90% of it, whether someone else is speaking or not.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #6130
you&me
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I have a lifetime placard, and you might not know it to look at me, but I have had a stroke and lost all of my left side peripheral vision. Because I am in my fourties, I get dirty looks all of the time when we park in a disabled stall.
My dad also had a stroke and lost his peripheral vision, but he's not allowed to drive because of it. Honest question - is there a degree of loss that is allowed that permits you to still drive?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #6131
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How do you know this though if the impairments are invisible? I'm sure you're not wrong that there are people using it that they shouldn't be but each individual you see (with a placard) should just be assumed to have a mobility issue, visible or otherwise, or some other acceptable reason for being allowed to park in the spot.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-09-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #6132
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if it has been discussed but I have noticed a lot lately a lot of people/drivers using the handicap parking stalls donít have any physical disabilities . I know that disabilities are both invisible and visible but isnít it the parking stall is for people with mobility issues? I have seen on multiple occasions that the drivers using the stall run in to the store and run back ! I know some friends that have family members having mobility issues take offence to this lack of respect and entitlement from drivers taking advantage of this privilege! Rant over!
Had a family-related medical appointment earlier this week. Some ###### in a "normal" parking stall was about 2-feet INTO the adjacent handicap stall. The car beside the ###### (in their normal stall) appeared to be parked correctly. I am more concerned about these ignorant @$$es than trying to decipher why someone needs a handicap stall or not.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #6133
Frankster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
My dad also had a stroke and lost his peripheral vision, but he's not allowed to drive because of it. Honest question - is there a degree of loss that is allowed that permits you to still drive?
I am not allowed to drive. My license was medically revoked. My partner does all of the driving.

I lost 95% of my left side peripheral vision because that optic nerve was cut during the resection of a large malignant brain tumour. For me, it's not something I will ever get back. That being said, if it's something your dad wants to pursue, there are some vision rehabilitation options in Calgary that his dr should be able to connect him with. I know a couple of people in the brain tumour community in Calgary that have had their vision loss recover enough through the therapy that they got their licenses back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #6134
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

At two-feet, I'm not sure how you differentiate if he is in the "normal" parking spot or the disabled parking spot. Obviously taking up both at that point in pretty much a 60/40 split lol. But potentially the situation was someone just giving their disabled passenger a lot of space to get out/in.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #6135
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My old goalie took his dead uncles placard and used it all the time. Hell, he'd park in the handicap stall to go play hockey. Yes, he's a ######.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #6136
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I am not allowed to drive. My license was medically revoked. My partner does all of the driving.

I lost 95% of my left side peripheral vision because that optic nerve was cut during the resection of a large malignant brain tumour. For me, it's not something I will ever get back. That being said, if it's something your dad wants to pursue, there are some vision rehabilitation options in Calgary that his dr should be able to connect him with. I know a couple of people in the brain tumour community in Calgary that have had their vision loss recover enough through the therapy that they got their licenses back.
Thank you for sharing. Seriously.

And I empathize. Looking forward to you too, getting your license back.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #6137
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
My old goalie took his dead uncles placard and used it all the time. Hell, he'd park in the handicap stall to go play hockey. Yes, he's a ######.
It would have been a real shame for someone to report him...would have been a $200 fine in Alberta(and probably confiscated).
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #6138
Frankster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Thank you for sharing. Seriously.

And I empathize. Looking forward to you too, getting your license back.
Thanks man, but bcause the optic nerve was cut in surgery that vision will never be restored. It's been nearly 8 years since the surgery and my visual field is the same as when I woke up from the surgery.

We knew going into the surgery that 100% I was going to lose the vision as the tumour was touching the optic nerve. In order to properly resect the tumor, the nerve would be irreparably damaged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #6139
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It would have been a real shame for someone to report him...would have been a $200 fine in Alberta(and probably confiscated).

Because we are such a lovable bunch we did. Nobody ever did anything about it though. We hoped he would come out of the game dragging his gear to see someone there ticketing him but it never happened.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #6140
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Had a family-related medical appointment earlier this week. Some ###### in a "normal" parking stall was about 2-feet INTO the adjacent handicap stall. The car beside the ###### (in their normal stall) appeared to be parked correctly. I am more concerned about these ignorant @$$es than trying to decipher why someone needs a handicap stall or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
At two-feet, I'm not sure how you differentiate if he is in the "normal" parking spot or the disabled parking spot. Obviously taking up both at that point in pretty much a 60/40 split lol. But potentially the situation was someone just giving their disabled passenger a lot of space to get out/in.
They should have aisles, but AB is way behind in the accessibility world.

Iím mostly replying as an excuse to post this gem:
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: