Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #41
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'm not saying that the software would be hard to write- I agree it should be easy. However one of the reasons I often take the bus to work is I can use that time to catch up on emails. Just because some people are unable to follow the laws that are in place, everybody should have to do without?
So install it on the car side. Being inside the vehicle kills a cell signal. Solves your bus problem.

I'm only half serious.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #42
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I signed, used to take this highway all of the time. Stories like this make me happy I no longer own a vehicle or have to commute in/around Calgary.
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It's fortunate that the design for twinning Highway 8 should be finished in the near future. We'll see how quickly it gets built.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #44
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
What I don't understand is Alberta's (Canada's) aversion to a doule lane highway with a barricade in the middle. Takes a lot less space than our traditional divided highways. Half the single lane highways could almost be converted to this, given the size of the shoulders.
Snow plowing is more difficult on such a highway. That's why you do see them here.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #45
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Snow plowing is more difficult on such a highway. That's why you do see them here.
They plow the roads here?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
They plow the roads here?
Always a comic.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #47
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

When things work the way they are planned highways get upgraded based on traffic volume rather than local petitions or local support. Alberta Transportation has only so much money to spend every year and they can't play favourites, bumping up one project will push down another. That said it sounds like Hwy 8 has the traffic volume to justify expansion so hopefully it be done quickly. Although the construction will probably drive some people into aggressive passing as soon as they clear the zone.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

In as much as I can support the idea of twinning the road, I have to add to the voices saying "don't be fiddling with your phone while driving." I am sorry for your losses, Baaarrden, but I sincerely hope that you and your friends are taking a far more serious look at the dangers of driving distracted than you seem to imply in your OP. Because it wasn't Highway 8 that killed your first friend.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #49
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
That's a weak argument. My liqour cabinet is usually fairly full, but I don't grab a drink every time I walk by it. Insert any other bad example you want, but the point is: you don't have to use the fancy Ford touch screen while driving just because it's there. Same as you have the choice to leave the phone in your pocket while you are driving. Self restraint dude. Please don't try to blame car manufacturers for giving us too many features.
Ease up buddy, I wasn't arguing anything or blaming manufacturers. I was just saying that cars these days have more distractions than ever, so inevitably the chance of people being distracted are higher.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #50
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Haven't really kept up with this but both guys were texting when they crashed? crazy.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #51
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Haven't really kept up with this but both guys were texting when they crashed? crazy.
I don't believe the second accident involved texting. The RCMP said that there was no indication of distracted driving, so apparently they're still unsure about what caused him to veer into the oncoming lane.
Baaarrden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #52
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
In as much as I can support the idea of twinning the road, I have to add to the voices saying "don't be fiddling with your phone while driving." I am sorry for your losses, Baaarrden, but I sincerely hope that you and your friends are taking a far more serious look at the dangers of driving distracted than you seem to imply in your OP. Because it wasn't Highway 8 that killed your first friend.
I realize that distracted driving was the ultimate cause of his death in his accident, however, with the installation of a median or barrier to separate the two lanes, his car would have not crossed into the oncoming lane and he most likely would still be alive today. I know how serious distracted driving is, but he is not the only one who has ever been distracted while driving, nor was he the first to die from it, and he most definitely will not be the last to die from it. The installation of a median would not be so much to keep distracted drivers safe as it would be to keep other drivers safe from those who do drive distracted, but it would have the added benefit of giving those who make the mistake of driving distracted to have a second chance, and hopefully be alive to realize how serious and dangerous it really is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baaarrden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #53
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It was never even stated either of them were texting... Heck for all we know, he was changing the radio station or could even have just lost focus and looked outside his window... Yes distracted driving was in the end the thing that cost him his life, but with anything down the middle like a barrier or median or anything, he would likely be alive today and im sure would never do what he was doing again. I can guarantee myself am guilty of driving distracted on more then once occasion as I am sure you yourself have done so aswell. But anything to help seperate the lanes would be more then helpful in preventing accidents and keeping the people who arent driving destracted safe.
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #54
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does the barrier work for passing. Does the road become no passing or do they split it into three lanes with a passing lane? There is a lot of slow moving traffic on Highway 8. It would be a pain if you couldn't pass at all.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #55
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
How does the barrier work for passing. Does the road become no passing or do they split it into three lanes with a passing lane? There is a lot of slow moving traffic on Highway 8. It would be a pain if you couldn't pass at all.
If they twinned it as well, then that would allow for passing.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #56
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something that fits with the topic of Highway and and the current dangers of it.

Back in late August, after the two accidents that claimed the lives of two of my friends, a couple of my friends sent letters to the Alberta Government regarding the safety issues that Highway 8 poses to the drivers that use it to commute to and from the city every day. Specifically they contacted the transportation minister and Premier Redford, and about two or three weeks ago, my buddy received a personally signed letter back from Alison Redford, stating that the province was working on a plan to improve highway 8 by looking into the possibility of twinning it.

However, with no immediate timeline on that project, my friends decided it was necessary for something more immediate to be done to hopefully make the highway a safer road to drive. They, along with their parents, have decided to push forward with a website in order to try to petition for the removal of heavy tractor trailers from that highway. The website they have created provides lots of information regarding things such as possible alternate routes for these trucks, an area to post any experiences that you may have had while driving this highway, and an area to sign a new petition to prohibit the use of Highway 8 by tractor trailers, if you so desire.

Please take the time to look at this and sign the petition, as this campaign will hopefully gather enough attention for the Alberta Government to actually make a change and make it a safer highway to travel.

http://noton8.ca
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #57
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

No offence, but that will never get anywhere.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #58
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not to sound like an inconsiderate prick, but weren't these the cases where the drivers of the cars were driving distracted?

Why should they ban Semis? I'm sorry for your loss, but as KelVarnsen said...it will not solve anything. Are there stats on which vehicles crash more often on that highway? I'd bet cars are more likely to crash than Semis.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #59
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is highway 8 more important than highway 63 on the way to Ft. McMurray?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #60
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, didn't they just "twin" parts of highway 8 to 69th street?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta , calgary , highway 8 , rest in peace , twin