Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #581
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
1. You and it appears everyone else that replied didn't bother to read what I wrote.

2. https://slate.com/business/2021/05/f...ic-weight.html
Here's what you wrote:

Quote:
It also continues to be an environmental nightmare. That weight does a few things destroys roads, gives off massive break dust, and tire dust. Side points for the person who hits someone in a crosswalk at low speed and kills them instantly.

Its something many don’t factor in to their green posturing. That electric vehicles weigh more than gas and the electricity source isn’t always clean. They also are death bricks if they hit anything smaller.
So let's break it down.
1) No environmental nightmare. EVs are better for the environment, as global warming is the biggest problem it faces and EVs are better in any scenario. They also create less pollution, not more ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6041202031970X )

2) The use of regenerative braking leads to EVs contributing less large particle emissions than a comparable ICE vehicle ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...208?via%3Dihub )

3) At high speeds I can see vehicle weight playing a factor in collisions. The pedestrian example at low speeds? I'm not sure how that is relevant.

4) Even with pure coal electricity generation an EV is less polluting over it's life cycle than ICE

5) The tire thing is silly. Local air quality and it's health impacts are far better with EVs. Do EVs give off more tire dust? It looks like they do, albeit marginally. Remember, ICE gives off your dust too! That small increase though is waaaaaaaaay outweighed by the dozens of toxins in ICE exhaust. There are dozens of studies proving this. It's not even a question.

It's not green posturing. Ask yourself this: why is literally every government pushing for electric vehicle adoption???? Green posturing?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #582
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Electric vehicle war, is gas soon to be toast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Here's what you wrote:

So let's break it down.
1) No environmental nightmare. EVs are better for the environment, as global warming is the biggest problem it faces and EVs are better in any scenario. They also create less pollution, not more ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6041202031970X )

2) The use of regenerative braking leads to EVs contributing less large particle emissions than a comparable ICE vehicle ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...208?via%3Dihub )

3) At high speeds I can see vehicle weight playing a factor in collisions. The pedestrian example at low speeds? I'm not sure how that is relevant.

4) Even with pure coal electricity generation an EV is less polluting over it's life cycle than ICE

5) The tire thing is silly. Local air quality and it's health impacts are far better with EVs. Do EVs give off more tire dust? It looks like they do, albeit marginally. Remember, ICE gives off your dust too! That small increase though is waaaaaaaaay outweighed by the dozens of toxins in ICE exhaust. There are dozens of studies proving this. It's not even a question.

It's not green posturing. Ask yourself this: why is literally every government pushing for electric vehicle adoption???? Green posturing?

The reality IMO is that at full adoption EVs will have significant negative effects on the environment including depletion of scarce resources, disposal issues, impact of the mass scale electricity generation and transmission footprint. What it does do is mitigate the current climate crisis and kick the true underlying civilization sustainability issue down the road. We can continue to live our best lives with minimum inconvenience plus better 0-60 times!

Longer term, the survival of civilization will depend on moderating our resource consumption of all kinds. I’m not arguing against EV - they are a necessary improvement for the looming climate crisis but not by themselves a long term solution to overall sustainability.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #583
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How can full EV adoption be a negative but a necessary improvement at the same time?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #584
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
The reality IMO is that at full adoption EVs will have significant negative effects on the environment including depletion of scarce resources, disposal issues, impact of the mass scale electricity generation and transmission footprint. What it does do is mitigate the current climate crisis and kick the true underlying civilization sustainability issue down the road. We can continue to live our best lives with minimum inconvenience plus better 0-60 times!

Longer term, the survival of civilization will depend on moderating our resource consumption of all kinds. I’m not arguing against EV - they are a necessary improvement for the looming climate crisis but not by themselves a long term solution to overall sustainability.
That's because NOTHING is an over arching kill shot, one solution, solution.

It's part of an over all plan to increase sustainability.

If your argument is EV's cant fix all the problems, then you are never gonna be happy. Because there isn't one single solution that will.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #585
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How can full EV adoption be a negative but a necessary improvement at the same time?

We need to reduce our carbon footprint, that is a clear imperative for climate reasons. Switching to EV is a clear solution to that problem and is a step we need to take to mitigate the looming climate crisis. I’m fully onboard.

The point I was trying to make is that just switching from fossil fuels to electricity doesn’t address a bigger longer term issue of living within the constraints of the earth. That will require us to change our lifestyles, whereas just switching to EV allows us to maintain our current high resource lifestyles longer. This is no way a criticism of EV or a suggestion that we don’t move aggress in that direction. I’m just saying that moving from high carbon/high resource use to low carbon/high resource use isn’t sufficient for long term sustainability. We need to use fewer resources to produce products, use products longer, etc. This will include giving up some luxuries we currently enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #586
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

We are never going to give up our luxuries, nor should that be the goal.

Sustainable manufacturing is possible.

Recycled plastics, recycled wood products, recycled electronics, etc. This is where we need government mandate to force these things along.

Even cement can be made a lot more environmentally friendly.

But there has to be an incentive to do so. The carbon tax isn't enough. It might reduce fossil fuel use, but won't incentivize Tesla or Bird Construction to use greener products in their manufacturing process.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #587
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Essentially, EVs >>> ICE. But in the long run waaaaaaaaay less vehicles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more vehicles. We can't get to way less vehicles by 2050 but we can eliminate ICE by then

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #588
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
We are never going to give up our luxuries, nor should that be the goal.

Sustainable manufacturing is possible.

Recycled plastics, recycled wood products, recycled electronics, etc. This is where we need government mandate to force these things along.

Even cement can be made a lot more environmentally friendly.

But there has to be an incentive to do so. The carbon tax isn't enough. It might reduce fossil fuel use, but won't incentivize Tesla or Bird Construction to use greener products in their manufacturing process.
In theory yes, but a big part of 'luxury' is always buying the latest and greatest of everything. Even if new things are greener they are still net new consumers of resources vs the old things (not considering cases where the new thing is more efficient and has net lower lifetime cost).
Old 06-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #589
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
That's because NOTHING is an over arching kill shot, one solution, solution.

It's part of an over all plan to increase sustainability.

If your argument is EV's cant fix all the problems, then you are never gonna be happy. Because there isn't one single solution that will.
Well... there is one

Spoiler!
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #590
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
In theory yes, but a big part of 'luxury' is always buying the latest and greatest of everything. Even if new things are greener they are still net new consumers of resources vs the old things (not considering cases where the new thing is more efficient and has net lower lifetime cost).
True.

We should educate people on the value of buying quality items, and not needing the latest.

But we are fighting against the human problem.

Sustainable manufacturing will solve most of our issues.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #591
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jay leno breaks 1/4 mile production car speed record in the Tesla Model S plaid

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 06-12-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:19 PM   #592
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Electric motor tech in the Plaid is not of this world, mind blown. Hope it trickles down to the less expensive models.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:32 PM   #593
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Electric motor tech in the Plaid is not of this world, mind blown. Hope it trickles down to the less expensive models.
Yeah, imagine pulling up to a light in your $500.000 Ferrari 812 and getting your doors blown off by a 4 door family sedan

I hope the prices drop as well but when you consider the savings on gas $170.000 CDN for that kind of performance is cheaper than cheap, and you can drive it every day of every month in Canada.

Sometimes I think Elon Musk is not of this world!
Old 06-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #594
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Sometimes I think Elon Musk is not of this world!
Elon said if there were aliens on Earth he would know. So either he's covering for himself or not an alien.

This is the perfect example of engineering for speed and ending up with way better efficiency in the process. Tesla also found a way to reduce the battery pack weight but didn't say how.

Scotty says hydrogen is the future and Tesla is doomed.

The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 12:02 AM   #595
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Scotty says hydrogen is the future and Tesla is doomed.
By the time hydrogen takes over electric Tesla will be producing them.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #596
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This new Rimac Nevera is insane. 8.62 in the quarter mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Jay leno breaks 1/4 mile production car speed record in the Tesla Model S plaid

Ha- poor Rimac, that didn't take long.

Cool to see how fast cars are getting, for some reason I find this arms race a little less exciting than last stage IC development where all sorts of crazy devices started to get bolted up to engines to squeeze out more power. Still really impressive either way.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #597
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Poor Rimac? The Tesla is more than half a second slower. When you're talking sub-10 second runs, half a second is huge.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #598
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Cool to see how fast cars are getting, for some reason I find this arms race a little less exciting than last stage IC development where all sorts of crazy devices started to get bolted up to engines to squeeze out more power. Still really impressive either way.
It's at the point where it just ins't that big of a deal for me anymore. Yeah, they're fast. Great! I love speed but they're all fast and the differences don't move the needle for me much anymore.

Other advances, tech, and comfort are far more interesting and enticing. Fast is covered.

(referring to purchase choices here)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #599
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Poor Rimac? The Tesla is more than half a second slower. When you're talking sub-10 second runs, half a second is huge.
The Rimac Nevera is not what I would call a production car, and it's $2.5 million price tag is pricey for that half of second.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #600
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's at the point where it just ins't that big of a deal for me anymore. Yeah, they're fast. Great! I love speed but they're all fast and the differences don't move the needle for me much anymore.

Other advances, tech, and comfort are far more interesting and enticing. Fast is covered.

(referring to purchase choices here)
At some point, similar to F1, that speed is just too dangerous to keep going, and they're going to have to put some sort of limiter on it. You already have dbags constantly ripping down Deerfoot at dangerous speeds overestimating their driving abilities. Can you imagine if every Joe Blow has that type of speed in their family sedan. I'd predict a lot fatalities. I guess that's where the self driving kicks in.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote