Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Being a non-partisan organization isn't an easy line to walk; especially one that deals with political issues. As you said, they didn't come out and endorse. They never have. They simply provide facts and let people draw their own conclusions.

We could use the Parkland Institute as an example too. They never "endorse" candidates or parties, but man they sure sound like they are promoting a liberal agenda.
Right and walking the line is one thing, but comments that basically say here are two options (of four, and notably excluding two parties sitting in the legislature) and saying we won't pick, but one is balanced isn't even attempting to walk the line.

I would be very interested to see what the CTF thinks of the ALP proposal regarding the tax increases. That would be timely, topical for their organization and provide some potentially interesting insight.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Right and walking the line is one thing, but comments that basically say here are two options (of four, and notably excluding two parties sitting in the legislature) and saying we won't pick, but one is balanced isn't even attempting to walk the line.

I would be very interested to see what the CTF thinks of the ALP proposal regarding the tax increases. That would be timely, topical for their organization and provide some potentially interesting insight.

So you're saying you expect the CTF to change their ideological beliefs because the spectrum of Alberta's political parties doesn't reflect it?

I mean, it's been clear for a decade if you believe in fiscal conservatism, or small government at all, there's been only one (or no) real choice among the parties.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
So you're saying you expect the CTF to change their ideological beliefs because the spectrum of Alberta's political parties doesn't reflect it?

I mean, it's been clear for a decade if you believe in fiscal conservatism, or small government at all, there's been only one (or no) real choice among the parties.
Interesting. Who would you have you picked for that party in 2005?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you think MLA's 100K renumeration is rediculous, how about Gary Mar's "the $265,000-a-year-plus-expenses sinecure". It's a quasi phoney post by my book. Plus his kids private school fees, plane tickets for him to travel the world and housing allowance, Mar's post which involved little other than wineing and dinning rich Asian tycoons easily cost us half a mil a year.

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/djcl...-stay-out-hot-
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Here's the link to the minutes from the last meeting of this committee. I find it hilarious that the chair comments how early in the morning the meeting is taking place and commending them all for getting out of their beds to be there... its after 8:00am!

This is a prime example of government not working properly. Even the great defender of health care, Raj Sherman, is there!

It was about 20 minutes of meeting. They all get $1K a month everafter.

I think the gross pay of MLA's is justified, but this committee compensation game demonstrates the system is very broken.

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDA...1200_01_pe.pdf
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Here's the link to the minutes from the last meeting of this committee. I find it hilarious that the chair comments how early in the morning the meeting is taking place and commending them all for getting out of their beds to be there... its after 8:00am!

This is a prime example of government not working properly. Even the great defender of health care, Raj Sherman, is there!

It was about 20 minutes of meeting. They all get $1K a month everafter.

I think the gross pay of MLA's is justified, but this committee compensation game demonstrates the system is very broken.

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDA...1200_01_pe.pdf

Raj Sherman who was the first to give back $43k that he thought was unduly paid to him as a result of this committee. Congrats to the Wildrose for following his lead (or at least one of them....haven't seen anything from Guy Boutiller).
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Raj Sherman who was the first to give back $43k that he thought was unduly paid to him as a result of this committee. Congrats to the Wildrose for following his lead (or at least one of them....haven't seen anything from Guy Boutiller).
Guy did as well. Though IIRC his is small by comparison. He was only recently assigned to this committee.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #28
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am curious to know where/how all of these MLAs plan on doing this though. I know from an entirely other issue that MLAs not getting paid or just "returning money" isn't really possible or practical. I'd rather not get into the specifics here, but that was certainly my understanding of that in the relatively recent past. I would also wonder how this affects these peoples taxes? (Does committee work comprise part of the taxable income?) I just don't know how practical this really is, even though it sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #29
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am curious to know where/how all of these MLAs plan on doing this though. I know from an entirely other issue that MLAs not getting paid or just "returning money" isn't really possible or practical. I'd rather not get into the specifics here, but that was certainly my understanding of that in the relatively recent past. I would also wonder how this affects these peoples taxes? (Does committee work comprise part of the taxable income?) I just don't know how practical this really is, even though it sounds like a good idea.
As a bookkeeper.... I wouldn't even want to go thru the mess of calculating this.
You are absolutely right, it's not as simple as writing a cheques for $39,000.00.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Call me cynical, but the only reason why Raj Sherman and the other members of the committee are now bleating about returning the money is because they got busted, they would have snickered and banked it and not thought about it again if it hadn't been discovered.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Call me cynical, but the only reason why Raj Sherman and the other members of the committee are now bleating about returning the money is because they got busted, they would have snickered and banked it and not thought about it again if it hadn't been discovered.
Okay. You are cynical...

It should be noted, both the Wildrose and Liberals have brought this issue up before and of course were always drowned out being outnumbered by the PC's. Additionally the media did report on it in 2007 when the pay structure changed, but it never grew legs.

Tags
alberta , compensation , mla , rob anderson , salary