Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #5061
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A tactical anaylsis of how the battle of winterfell should have been fought. Watching these events play out would have been much more interesting than watching each of the main characters almost get overwhelmed by wights 4-5 times each.

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #5062
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

^ An actual strategy like that would have been amazing to watch. Of course the wights would have gotten through but that's how you can build suspense too. You watch each layer of defense be destroyed one by one instead of all at once with main characters surviving somehow.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #5063
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The scene wasn't a huge problem for me, but surely you can understand why people are annoyed with the setup. I mean everyone who tries to kill a Dragon is a crack shot. Bronn hit a dragon, Night King hits one, second dragon is killed with ease. The ballistas destroyed a fleet in a matter of moments. Based on how events have unfolded in the show it seems like Cersei could have easily killed everyone.

I think it's poor writing to have the scene setup how it was in the first place. Perhaps the only reason for the scene was the pregnancy give away by Tyrion? We already knew Cersie is heartless, killing Missandei doesn't need to do that.
There were a number of reasons for that scene, depending on your subjective interpretation, including hammering home the fact that Tyrion does not understand his sister as well as he thinks he does, and/or provoking Dany into a violent and rash response.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #5064
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

that video mentions 10,000 dothraki. Weren't there 100,000 ready to cross the sea back in Easteros?

Am I forgetting some slaughter, did only a small number get brought to westeros due to lack of ships or something?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #5065
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
that video mentions 10,000 dothraki. Weren't there 100,000 ready to cross the sea back in Easteros?

Am I forgetting some slaughter, did only a small number get brought to westeros due to lack of ships or something?
They forgot their citrus for the boat ride over. Scurvy really brought their numbers down.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #5066
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
They forgot their citrus for the boat ride over. Scurvy really brought their numbers down.
Oh come on, it's like a four minute boat ride. Have you not been watching the past three seasons?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #5067
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post

I heard a lot of them met nice Westeros girls and settled down to farm
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #5068
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Hmm interesting, that could be it, i just wonder what has Euron spooked

Old 05-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #5069
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
There were a number of reasons for that scene, depending on your subjective interpretation, including hammering home the fact that Tyrion does not understand his sister as well as he thinks he does, and/or provoking Dany into a violent and rash response.
I’m actually surprised so many people think the prudent thing to do would be to open fire on a diplomatic meeting. If Cersei could ether get Dany to go back to Essos by using displays of power, it would benefit her far more than forcing an escalation. Yeah sure a few people are personally upset about the execution, but I doubt the Dothraki or Northern Army are going to care all that much. But they might if Dany was slaughtered during a meeting.

Like you said, there is also the angle that Cersei can play the victim card if Dany attacks first. Cersei’s people hate Cercei, but they can be convinced Dany is worse, they may fight for her. If Cercei attacks first, she loses all benefit of the doubt.

There is also the fact that if a battle happens and Even if she wins, she is surrounded by other enemies.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #5070
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think in that pic Euron is looking at Daario's ships coming to help Daenerys
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeanLucPicard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #5071
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe the preview for the next episode showed Danaerys back at Dragonstone with a specific emphasis placed on the gigantic dragon statues and carvings there. My guess is we're gonna see some more dragons coming along in some way, or she finds some dragon armor or something else useful there. I'm guessing Euron is looking at a kitted out dragon flying down on his fleet. I've also been totally wrong in most of my predictions so far though, so. . . .
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #5072
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Cersei has always been about herself and the power she can wield. She's standing on the top of the forefront of the castle wall, along with all her advisors/allies. She is in direct harm if she unleashes hell.

All she was trying to do was provoke Danyerys to do what Cersei had always wanted her to do: make Dany the enemy by having her slaughtering innocents in an attempt to get at her for revenge.

The writing may not be as sharp as it was, but it seems to be out of grasp for a solid section of fans.
So the idea is that Daenarys would take her dragon and slaughter innocent people but not the person who's standing on the top of the forefront of the castle wall?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #5073
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was wondering the same. I figured the combined forces of unsullied and Dothraki on top of the local troops should exceed the undead.

Other thing that popped into my head. Milisandre showing up lighting all their swords on fire was completely unexpected.

So basically the original plan was to rush into darkness with completely useless swords?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #5074
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Well, they had a direwolf too.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #5075
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Well, they had a direwolf too.
Ghost's plot armor is thicker than most Marvel superheroes
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #5076
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Needs more ear padding though.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #5077
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No one's even mentioned the Stormlands army disappearing into thin air, despite them being the backbone of Roberts Rebellion.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #5078
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
No one's even mentioned the Stormlands army disappearing into thin air, despite them being the backbone of Roberts Rebellion.
Split in two between Renly and Stannis. Blackwater takes out a huge chunk. Many desertions in the north and then mostly destroyed by Bolton. I think they did a relatively good job of showing them get snuffed out.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #5079
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
So the idea is that Daenarys would take her dragon and slaughter innocent people but not the person who's standing on the top of the forefront of the castle wall?
Good luck ruling over people who know you roasted their queen, allies, and brothers and sisters during a parlay when they already think you're a foreign invader and usurper.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #5080
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Split in two between Renly and Stannis. Blackwater takes out a huge chunk. Many desertions in the north and then mostly destroyed by Bolton. I think they did a relatively good job of showing them get snuffed out.
Yeah this was explained very well. They didn't just disappear into thin air, they were gradually weakened over a few seasons before ultimately being wiped out by the Boltons. I guess we could have gotten a few lines explaining if there are any Storm Lords left and who is currently controlling Storm's End but it's not really relevant to the story.

Comparing how the Baratheon Army destruction occurred with how the destruction of Dany's Army is currently occurring is a good example of the drop off in writing in later seasons.