Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #12921
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the boogeyman was real, he would absolutely wear the face of one of Darryl's flabbergasted looks.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #12922
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

It all depends on Monahan of course. If this is the beginning of a downward spiral i'd take that risk. If doctors are telling the Flames he will finally be right as rain and get back on track things are different. With the flames luck Monahan goes back to being a lethal finisher while Laine is asking for us to trade him. Then we get to watch Benny and Money while putting our heads through the wall.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #12923
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no boogie man Sutter ideas here. Just a short leash when the GAF meter dips in his players.

No doubt Laine would be a dream in regards to PP1. Shots at 5v5 and being a big fast (when he wants to) RHS Sniper.

The concern for me is GAF. And he's a bit of a mystery in that department. Can Sutter break him in and commit? Maybe.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #12924
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you could get Laine for Monahan, you make the trade and send the a fruit basket the next day.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #12925
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine is only 23, RHS, big, can skate, has scored 30 goals every season (prorated for last season) except this miserable one. If you can sign him to a good RFA deal (Treliving’s specialty), it’s a good trade, and I’m not a Monahan hater. You’ll have a hole at centre to fill but he’s a real weapon.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #12926
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, I was just listening to the Friedman podcast, and paraphrased he's said about the Leafs where he strongly suspects Toronto is going to identify that one player who has characteristics who can change their team, and they'll talk about what they can do to bring in that player. Friedman specifically thought it would be a dman or goalie, and would be a player who would be best in their class with that missing trait.

My take. I do wonder specifically about Tkachuk. Whatever happened to Tkachuk this year, who knows, but if the Flames are open to dealing him I do wonder if Tkachuk for Nylander and Robertson would be possible. Personally I see Nylander as a second line player, but the combo of Nylander and Robertson would be a decent return to work with for the future. Especially if the team as an identity wants to be faster. Tkachuk for Toronto would be a good fit as well. To me it'd be an interesting deal.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #12927
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
You know, I was just listening to the Friedman podcast, and paraphrased he's said about the Leafs where he strongly suspects Toronto is going to identify that one player who has characteristics who can change their team, and they'll talk about what they can do to bring in that player. Friedman specifically thought it would be a dman or goalie, and would be a player who would be best in their class with that missing trait.

My take. I do wonder specifically about Tkachuk. Whatever happened to Tkachuk this year, who knows, but if the Flames are open to dealing him I do wonder if Tkachuk for Nylander and Robertson would be possible. Personally I see Nylander as a second line player, but the combo of Nylander and Robertson would be a decent return to work with for the future. Especially if the team as an identity wants to be faster. Tkachuk for Toronto would be a good fit as well. To me it'd be an interesting deal.
Tkachuk is probably sic of going thru a wall to win games while the rest of the team floats along like a bunch of #####'s scared to get their nose dirty!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rooster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #12928
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why Robertson? Is a small LW prospect what Calgary really needs? I’d rather get picks or maybe Mikhaiev
Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #12929
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why Robertson? Is a small LW prospect what Calgary really needs? I’d rather get picks or maybe Mikhaiev
Leafs have no picks
Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #12930
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That’s a very interesting deal, although I don’t think Toronto would like the long term cap implications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #12931
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

They may not, but if he fits their need of a guy who will play hard and has some skill, he'd be a good fit.

Personally, I've seen enough with Colorado now to say that a fast moving smart passing team is the way to go moving forward in this division especially. The days of teams strictly grinding it out exclusively of skill, seems to be diminishing year over year. And if that's your identity, you have to weigh even bringing in one player on the roster who doesn't fit that mold just because they'd be an upgrade on a current position. There has to be an identity that everyone on the team has and it's beautiful to watch Colorado make those quick passes while moving fast. Edmonton will continue to build around McDavid's speed, as will Seattle, I'm sure. Time to keep up with the Jones' and really focus on puck moving instead of grinding it out.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #12932
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imo the leafs will look for a Seth Jones or a John Gibson before a Tkachuk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #12933
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve thought about Laine with Sutter since the end of the season.

I don’t think there is a player in the game right now who more resembles Iginla.

Big and strong, right shot, good skater, lethal one timer and wrist shot. He even drops the gloves, but he’s not any good at it. He will never match Iggy in terms of fighting but everything else he is as good and maybe even better.

Iggy wasn’t a naturally good 200 foot player, he became that in 2004 when’s Darryl was behind the bench, it was only the Darryl as coach years that Iggy was a 200 foot player. When Darryl wasn’t coach, Iggys game was pretty similar to Laine; cheated to the offense a lot.

I’d be really interested in seeing Laine here.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #12934
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I’ve thought about Laine with Sutter since the end of the season.

I don’t think there is a player in the game right now who more resembles Iginla.

Big and strong, right shot, good skater, lethal one timer and wrist shot. He even drops the gloves, but he’s not any good at it. He will never match Iggy in terms of fighting but everything else he is as good and maybe even better.

Iggy wasn’t a naturally good 200 foot player, he became that in 2004 when’s Darryl was behind the bench, it was only the Darryl as coach years that Iggy was a 200 foot player. When Darryl wasn’t coach, Iggys game was pretty similar to Laine; cheated to the offense a lot.

I’d be really interested in seeing Laine here.
That’s an interesting comparison that I’ve never made the connection to. I think there are some questions about Laine’s addition to gaming. I don’t know if it’s just perception but the guy has no intensity and while it worked out eventually for Iggy, Laine seems to be who he is and he’s content with it. He went from Maurice who’s seen as moderately intense but fair, to Tortorella who’s extreme intense, and he didn’t flinch. He is who he is. At this point I wouldn’t bother paying the premium to get him.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #12935
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you are trading Tkachuk it better be a first line center or #1 dman coming back in deal. Trading Tkachuk for a different winger is a waste of time.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #12936
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
If you are trading Tkachuk it better be a first line center or #1 dman coming back in deal. Trading Tkachuk for a different winger is a waste of time.
100% agreed.

The focus has to be on acquiring on what this team lacks. They need a #1 centre and a #1 defenceman.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #12937
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Not if he’s a big, fast RHS RW. He’s a different winger all right - different from anyone else on the Flames.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:19 PM   #12938
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk + for Eichel
Monahan + for Laine

That'd be one hell of an off season as long as the pluses aren't too crazy in those proposed deals.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #12939
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Not if he’s a big, fast RHS RW. He’s a different winger all right - different from anyone else on the Flames.
Agree. Need a play driver. Not another complimentary player. Teams who have play driving c or d are loathe to give those up. So have to work with what is available.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #12940
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Dont think anyone thinks Sutter's a bogeyman. I love Sutter. I'm questioning Laine and if the risk is worth the reward. Will he step up or will he take his ball and go some where else sunny. He likes to force his way out when the going gets tough after all.
He's from Finland, I don't think he cares about sunshine. He cares about being comfortable. He likes different things outside of hockey (seemingly mostly involving internet culture and gaming.) If a good coach can shield him and gett him playing consistent hockey (and nurse/protect him when he falters at the beginning) then he will likely remain happy and motivated. IMO a strong supporting fan base would make him even better. If a fan base included some internet culture, look out.
Closed Thread