Do something more than a middle pick for another plug
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:19 AM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If this team is going to compete next season, we need a top 4 defenseman and a top line forward, however, we only have enough cap space for one. If I had to choose one, I would go for the forward. I trust this team to have a better chance for defense by committee than scoring by committee, at least with Sutter as coach.

I say go all in on Landeskog then supplement the defense with someone like Suter. Suter might be willing to come because he would have an important role and could get a second wind. Having just been bought out, he might come relatively cheap too.

Obviously far from a guarantee that we could nab them both, but that would be my strategy.

Then re-sign Johnny and if Landeskog is acquired, trade Tkachuk for a natural RW. Don't get me wrong, I love Tkachuk, I just have my doubts that he can be retained long term.
Disagree, I think they can do both.

A lot of people have been saying they need a #1 defenseman, but I think they just need a top 4. I think there will be some progression from the current guys- Andersson had a bad year and I expect a strong bounce-back. Valimaki expected to make the jump to the NHL easily last year, and discovered that it was anything but - I expect him to show up at camp much more prepared this year. As for Hanifin, I expect some progression, we'll see how much. If Tanev gives us what we got last year, then awesome. Can Mackey or Kyllington step up?

I would expect they sign Stone. That leaves us with:

Hanifin - Andersson
Signing - Tanev
Valimaki - Stone
Mackey - Kyllington

and the signing can be a $3 - $4M guy IMO. Maybe as much as $5M for a guy like Martinez

The big acquisition has to be a top 6 RW - preferably a top line RW, but a 2nd liner will do.

The biggest question mark is Monahan of course - what will he be this year? If he has any kind of decent bounce-back, I think the team will surprise and make the playoffs quite definitively.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 12:29 AM   #23
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Monahan is back I just hope they don’t stick him back on the top line. He’s a boat anchor due to his skating.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:29 AM   #24
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Disagree, I think they can do both.

A lot of people have been saying they need a #1 defenseman, but I think they just need a top 4. I think there will be some progression from the current guys- Andersson had a bad year and I expect a strong bounce-back. Valimaki expected to make the jump to the NHL easily last year, and discovered that it was anything but - I expect him to show up at camp much more prepared this year. As for Hanifin, I expect some progression, we'll see how much. If Tanev gives us what we got last year, then awesome. Can Mackey or Kyllington step up?

I would expect they sign Stone. That leaves us with:

Hanifin - Andersson
Signing - Tanev
Valimaki - Stone
Mackey - Kyllington

and the signing can be a $3 - $4M guy IMO. Maybe as much as $5M for a guy like Martinez

The big acquisition has to be a top 6 RW - preferably a top line RW, but a 2nd liner will do.

The biggest question mark is Monahan of course - what will he be this year? If he has any kind of decent bounce-back, I think the team will surprise and make the playoffs quite definitively.
I agree with you
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:09 AM   #25
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
If Monahan is back I just hope they don’t stick him back on the top line. He’s a boat anchor due to his skating.
‘Boat anchor’ is an exaggeration, but it became obvious last year that Lindholm is the #1 centre now. Monahan, if reasonably healthy, should do just fine as a #2.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:22 AM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
1. Sign Johnny (or trade him if he doesn't want to sign before the 28th).
Everything after depends on what happens with Johnny.
He's not a pending UFA. He still has a year. So why the 28th deadline?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:24 AM   #27
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He's not a pending UFA. He still has a year. So why the 28th deadline?

His partial NTC kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:31 AM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For me,

Trade for Tarasenko, see if you can do this from the prospect base
Sign Coleman, maybe a year longer than preferred to lower AAV
Sign one of Martinez/Edler/Suter/Montour/Demers
Sign one of Ullmark/Reimer/Brossoit/Raanta/Halak
Look at a lateral Monahan trade for another top 6 talent that may suit the roster better.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 01:42 AM   #29
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
For me,

Trade for Tarasenko, see if you can do this from the prospect base
Sign Coleman, maybe a year longer than preferred to lower AAV
Sign one of Martinez/Edler/Suter/Montour/Demers
Sign one of Ullmark/Reimer/Brossoit/Raanta/Halak
Look at a lateral Monahan trade for another top 6 talent that may suit the roster better.
I would love to have Halak as part of the goaltending tandem, but I also hope he gets a big payday somewhere. I don't know if there has been a more underrated and under paid goalie in the NHL over the past 10 years or so. Sadly, if the Oilers buy out Koskinen, I would not be surprised if they go for him.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:45 AM   #30
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think that - barring some great offer - the Flames should keep Monahan.

I do think that Monahan's price has fallen. People will say that he can't score any longer, and that he just 'lost it' or has had too many injuries. I don't think he has 'lost it', but I won't argue the 'too many injuries' angle. However, too many injuries to different parts of the body isn't as bad as the same recurring injury either.

IIRC, Monahan was doing well for the first few weeks of the year until he hurt his hip (as far as I can tell).

I think you keep him. This team is going to need goals next season, and he is money (pun intended) on the shootouts too.

I don't like his lack of footspeed, and I don't like his lack of physicality (I feel that if someone is slow, they should make up for it by being physical). However, Monahan is an incredibly underrated playmaker, and he can score 30+ goals a season.

If a team won't offer fair value, keep him. I don't think this core needs a 'shake-up' as much as it needed a decent coach. That's the shake-up for me. If good deals come through, great. If not, I would rather not see players being traded for pennies on the dollar.

I am betting that Sutter fixes a lot of what was wrong with this team. I like how he has already told the team to take their off-season training more seriously. That's what Hartley did too, and that's the last time I would say this team exceeded expectations.

This team is better than what it has shown, but they were practicing and playing like the Dallas Eakins era Oilers. Now they're not, and I can't wait to see what this team is really like.

Jagr spoke about faster skaters getting to the wrong place quickly.

Depending what you are doing, if you are smart enough you don’t necessarily need to stoop to relying on physicality
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:41 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Depending what you are doing, if you are smart enough you don’t necessarily need to stoop to relying on physicality
Which is a great quote, but it gets massively overplayed.

Generally, players don't get stupider by playing at a higher tempo. Playing faster puts pressure on the other team, which, if anything, puts more pressure on their hockey IQ, as opposed to the aggressors'.

Playing with more pace in all aspects is a good thing. And a necessary thing, to be successful.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:29 AM   #32
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I hope we sign Jake McCabe on defence.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:14 AM   #33
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our D is currently a tire fire.

We have only 3 top 4 Dmen and no legit number 1
One of those has an extensive injury history
The other two are still very young and raw
None of them have a history of producing decent offense

I hope Alec Martinez loved playing for Sutter so the Flames have a leg up in signing him.

Probably going to sign Edler though, if I had to guess.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 06:23 AM   #34
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Agreed and FWIW Chucky certainly isn't any better than Monahan on his skates. Lucic is a slug and yet played superb hockey for spells especially later in the season.

Gaudreau's edge work is off the charts and Backlund, Mangiapane and Lindholm are all good and fast skaters on the top 6.

Never going to be the fastest team.

I'd gamble on Taresenko if he'd come here. We haven't had a 220 lb winger that shoot it hard since Iggy left. If the cost is Chucky then St. Louis has to throw in more.

As for the blueline sure we need a Martinez or some such however I'm pretty optimistic with Valimaki or Mackie both for the future. Every team nearly got stripped down to it's top 3 D only and at least we have a couple of up and comers on D.

Last edited by GS Skier; 07-25-2021 at 06:26 AM.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #35
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Going for Landeskog makes sense as it opens up some flexibility around the Tkachuk and Gaudreau contract situations.

It will fill a current hole as well help mitigate a potential trade situation. There is enough coming of the books short term to accommodate both him, Gaudreau and Tkachuk.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #36
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think signing Landeskog couldn't possibly make much less sense:
-Calgary doesn't have the cap space to sign him (he wants 9 to 10 million)
-He's a lefthanded LW- Calgary already has too much cap at that position. Need an offensive defenseman, backup, and RW more. And they barely have the cap space for this.
-Players of his type tend to not age well
-He definitely wouldn't sign in Canada, especially with a non-playoff team with competition on the wing
-There would be less flexibility for the Tkachuk and Gaudreau contracts, not more

The only positives are that he's Swedish and good in the playoffs.
Would Calgary, a non-playoff Canadian city, that already has two elite left winger, and not a lot of cap space, really be able to overpay moreso than the other 31 teams in the league?
No way.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 07-25-2021 at 07:17 AM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #37
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solving team problems in free agency is always a frightening proposition.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #38
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1. Was the Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk line for real? Once these three players were put together, the team scored 3 goals per game and only gave up 2 goals per game. I loved watching them and am excited to see what they can do next season. Unless it is for Eichel, I wouldn't be trading any of these guys. Sutter himself acknowledged that the team would have won more games if he put them together earlier. In my opinion, the Flames have 3 high end 1st line players and Tkachuk was really good on the RW.

2. How will they improve the powerplay? As confident as I am in the Flames 5v5 game under Sutter (very confident), they are going to need to have a lethal powerplay to make up for a lack of overall firepower and superstars. Giordano is gone and was their only good powerplay quarterback. How will he be replaced? The 4 fowards are pretty good, but there is no one timer that is going to scare any teams and while Rasmus has a cannon, it didn't translate to a good powerplay last year. Mangiapane has a good one timer, so it'll be interesting to see if he moves to PP1 this season.

3. Who plays on the 2nd line? Mangiapane is a given and Monahan doesn't fit anywhere else if he's still around. Dube is an option, though he hasn't proven to be a good top 6 player yet. Nobody else in the organization even seem close. A free agent or trade target makes sense and would allow the rest of the team to slot better. Dube and Pitlick on the third line pushes Lucic down to the fourth, where he should be at this stage.

Unfortunately it seems like every top 6 RW who could move already has. The second line is incomplete and this is where I would allocate the cap space from Gio.

Gaudreau Lindholm Tkachuk
Mangiapane Monahan ???
Dube Backlund Pitlick

4. Is a Valimaki-Tanev pairing viable? Losing Giordano was rough and the D core is going to be tested. Hanifin and Andersson are a good pairing and I expect them to be back together from Sutter's year end comments. Barring outside help (and given the insane prices for top 4 D men, I don't expect much external help) the Flames need to promote someone into the top 4.

Valimaki is the guy, in my opinion. He struggled mightily last season and was even a healthy scratch at times, yet he ended up with some decent results after Sutter took over. In 20 games he had a 56% corsi rating and 58% goal share (+3) in sheltered minutes but playing with Stone or Nestorov.

He finally stayed healthy and he will be 23 years old once the season starts. He showed flashes as a rookie that he could be a dynamic and effective Dman. I want to see them place him on a pair with an exceptional veteran and partner in Tanev as an opportunity for him to flourish a la Hughes. Bringing in Edler or Forbort to play ahead of him would be a mistake. This is what he was drafted for.

HM questions:
Who will back up Markstrom?
Will any prospects make the team?
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #39
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Most of the money for Johnny's new contract is already set aside in the form of the Brouwer buyout that ends this year.

Tkachuk can get a similar number using Pitlick's expiring contract.

Easy peezy lemon squeezy.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #40
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Moving Monahan before we see if he bounces back would be the most foolish thing we could do. Either move Tkachuk or Gaudreau. My preference would be Gaudreau. Contrary to the Johnny lovers, we shouldn't need to support our supposed super star. He supposed to be the driving force and he isn't.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post: