Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #21
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just read that a $200 pair of beats headphones costs around $14 to make.

Don't really care here, will not buy an iphone and had no plans to use anything from beats. Interesting none the less.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Speaking of which, you and Ktrain interested in helping me in creating up a cloud powered social SAAS start up with the sole intention of being acquired for billions of dollars by Apple/Facebook/Google?

We'll just need a flashy parallax website with some vapourware promises and maybe a kickstarter campaign. Honestly we could probably bang this out over the long weekend, lemme know your plans.
"It's everything you love about Facebook, Twitter, Grindr, and that little graphics Turtle you used in the early 90s - all rolled into one."
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Just read that a $200 pair of beats headphones costs around $14 to make.

Don't really care here, will not buy an iphone and had no plans to use anything from beats. Interesting none the less.

Massive margins vs actual product costs are certainly not confined to headphones, its a reality of many products

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #24
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a horrible deal for Apple. They should have saved their money for Nintendo.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
This is a horrible deal for Apple. They should have saved their money for Nintendo.

1) Apple has no short of cash.

2) Where did you do your finance training?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #26
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go with Sennheiser. I've tried beats and the low end $40 headphones I have are a lot better, both with sound quality and range.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

AKG > Everything else known to man.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #28
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
1) Apple has no short of cash.

2) Where did you do your finance training?
No shortage of cash means Beats is a good buy?

Nintendo and their gaming IP are truly unique, valuable and better suited to Apple's continued movement into the living room. Even a partnership here would be an excellent move.

Apple would be better of spending the money to improve their OS and iOS which has lacked marked improvement compared to competitors in recent years.

They want to have a curated streaming music service that is edited. I wonder if the deal continues the management structure and curators must stay in place.

If Apple wanted to make high end headphones their brand would be strong enough to push that.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #29
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No shortage of cash means Beats is a good buy?
I think it means they can buy both...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Go with Sennheiser. I've tried beats and the low end $40 headphones I have are a lot better, both with sound quality and range.

If you're spend $40, go with Sony.

I have a pair of Sony's I bought 10 years ago for $40 and they are indestructible.

Sennheiser is good, but their branded really poorly and some of their headphones are complete garbage (worse than Solos even at similar price ranges).
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #31
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Another theory, it's about the wearables.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/10/57...-its-the-brand
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Apple would be better of spending the money to improve their OS and iOS which has lacked marked improvement compared to competitors in recent years.
Wait - you believe OSX & iOS stagnation are the result of underfunding?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #33
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Say it with me everybody... Curated streaming.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #34
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Another theory, it's about the wearables.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/10/57...-its-the-brand
Yes!

Hi-Fidelity headphones existed before Beats Studios, but only audiophiles cared to spend much on them. There was no mainstream market for $300 headphones. Beats created that market by making a premium fashion accessory that people saw and wanted. Watch this and tell me Beats is marketing audiophile gear:

I know loads of people who'd consider themselves audiophiles. Not one went from a pair of $300 AKGs or Sennheisers to a pair of Beats Studios. For most Beats customers, this is their first foray into high-end headphones. From a marketing standpoint - this is remarkable. They created a product nobody knew they wanted, well outside of mainstream "impulse buy" range. This is what makes Beats worth $3.2B to Apple.

Apple is going to have a similar challenge in wearables. They've got to make wearables that people want to be seen wearing so badly that they'll fork over hundreds. I can't think of a single company that can do that as well as Beats.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This is more about the curation technology behind the Beats streaming service than it is about the headphones. Not to mention immediate, inside access to some of the most brilliant minds in the music industry. Not just Iovine or Dre themselves, but the huge braintrust of radio program directors that provide the human element behind the Beats curation process.

Part of the deal is to bring Iovine inside Apple to report directly to Cook as a creative advisor. Iovine would also be bringing his address book with him, which represents some pretty significant personal relationships with some of the most infleuantial people in the entire industry.

Alot of market and media people are looking at this as Apple simply purchasing the Beats brand and are worried about Apple potentially pushing another brand besides its own (MacBook with Beats Audio, etc). Apple doesn't really buy brands though. It buys technology and resources, and I think that's exactly what its doing here as well.
Quote:
Say it with me everybody... Curated streaming.
Quote:
Apple Announces $3 Billion Beats Acquisition, Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre Joining the Company

We get a subscription music service that we believe is the first subscription service that really got it right. They had the insight early on to know how important human curation is. That technology by itself wasn’t enough — that it was the marriage of the two that would really be great, and produce a feeling in people that we want to produce.

Both Apple and Beats believe that a great music service requires a strong editorial and curation team, and we will continue to expand what we do in those areas. The addition of Beats will make our incredible iTunes lineup even better, extending the emotional connection our customers have with music.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/28/apple-buys-beats/
Just sayin'
Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #36
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just sayin'
IS there anything interesting or unique they do in this space that say Spotify or Pandora doesn't?

Having an industry exec and radio programmers in the mix just says to me that curation will be based on the same philosophies that existed in those tired old industries that are failing (radio and major record labels). They will figure out best how to use curation to promote the artists they represent and hope to re-establish the importance of artists being on those major labels. That will not make for a service that most users will appreciate. Otherwise, I don't see a whole lot of value in what music execs and radio programmers can bring, and are probably a detriment to providing a good user experience.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Making a prediction that Dr Dre is going to finally release Detox, exclusive to Beats/Apple.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple , beats , the chronic