Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #101
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it worth hard wiring and spending a few hundred dollars to get ethernet cables in the walls of my new house? its a 1979 build, so no cat5 cables anywhere. I have a really well performing orbi 3 piece set.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #102
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion 100% yes.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:35 AM   #103
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Is it worth hard wiring and spending a few hundred dollars to get ethernet cables in the walls of my new house? its a 1979 build, so no cat5 cables anywhere. I have a really well performing orbi 3 piece set.
I'd personally future proof with cat 6 or higher. I pulled Cat 6A in my house 4 years ago. $250 for 1000 ft. Cat 5e around $80-100 for 1000 ft and cat 6 around $120-180 for 1000 ft. Everything else is about the same costs (switch, plates, termination etc). Spend $150-200 more for the entire house is my suggestion. Pulling line again would be a pain and worth more than the price difference, let alone cost of buying line twice.

I'd go with the 10 Gb standard, especially if I would be in the house for a while. Ethernet is more stable and I find my devices run cooler on ethernet than wifi and ethernet is less finicky than wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
In my opinion 100% yes.
Did you pull ethernet cables?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:48 AM   #104
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Did you pull ethernet cables?
I did for my wife. I'm still using the WiFi dooflicky I bought. Seems to work fine for where my PC is. Her office is in a bit of a dead spot.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #105
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's getting really difficult to find somebody to do this and the last guy that came in it seems like he didn't really want to fish anything through the walls so much as just drill. I feel like I'm going to have to settle on a mesh solution with things that can plug into it and get like one of the brand new orbis maybe
Old 11-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #106
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's getting really difficult to find somebody to do this and the last guy that came in it seems like he didn't really want to fish anything through the walls so much as just drill. I feel like I'm going to have to settle on a mesh solution with things that can plug into it and get like one of the brand new orbis maybe
Maybe DIY one or two lines? That way you can have a hardwire backbone to the furthest mesh node(s).

If fishing quite a distance, instead of "aiming in the dark", cut a hole somewhere innocuous (ie: closet) etc. to search for where the line should be so that you can find it and guide it. Then when you're done, use a plastic access panel cover to cover it up if you don't want to do patching. Seriously, it's worth it. Dropping it from a higher level towards the bottom level also makes it easier than trying to go upwards.

The dude that did mine electrical taped the first foot or two of the cable to the rods he was fishing with and pushed it down that way. Pushing it down two stories blind, it took him something like 3+ hours for the first line. He told me that although he was charging me hourly, it was soul sucking. After discussions, I authorized two access panels and from that point on, it took like 30-45 per line. It took him the same time to pull 5 lines with access panels to keep track of the line than it did for him to blindly pull a single line.

I mean you could buy a mesh node and just jack up the transmission power, but hardwire backbone really shows it's efficacy when done in situations that really need it.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:25 AM   #107
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

In older homes one option is to utilize the cold air returns. No fear of compromising the cable or the cold air system and super easy to fish. I have done this in friends homes were fishing lines was rather impossible. Just food for thought.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:26 PM   #108
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

you can always go outside the walls, it's a bit ghetto but I ran a cat 6 cable out of a bedroom window where the router lived and into an office window for years, didnt even drill holes in the wall, just closed the window and filled the gap with sticky insulation tape, pick a cable colour as close to the outside finish as possible and then silicon the cable along the outside wall as unobtrusively as possible
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:07 PM   #109
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
you can always go outside the walls, it's a bit ghetto but I ran a cat 6 cable out of a bedroom window where the router lived and into an office window for years, didnt even drill holes in the wall, just closed the window and filled the gap with sticky insulation tape, pick a cable colour as close to the outside finish as possible and then silicon the cable along the outside wall as unobtrusively as possible
Reminds me of my friend who had a 100ft ethernet cable that snaked through his hallway to his PC. I asked him why he didn't use a powerline and he looked at me like I had two heads. In theory you could do this too as long as the cable wasn't too long. I think for Cat 6A, that's around 328 feet 10 Gbs, Cat 6 is 165 feet for 10 Gbps. 6A/6 and 5e are 328 feet for 1 Gbps?

I'd personally spring the extra money for cables that can do the 10 Gbs. We already have some 1.5 Gbit internet plans out there. I wouldn't be surprised if 1 Gbps would be considered a noticeable bottle neck in as soon as 3-5 years.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #110
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
In older homes one option is to utilize the cold air returns. No fear of compromising the cable or the cold air system and super easy to fish. I have done this in friends homes were fishing lines was rather impossible. Just food for thought.
Isn't this the typical way to do it? The two additional access panels I mentioned earlier were to aid searching and then "aiming" the fished cable when it would get snagged or disappear in turns between the cold air returns.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:48 AM   #111
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a quote for a guy to wire in 5 jacks for 500.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:28 AM   #112
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Got a quote for a guy to wire in 5 jacks for 500.
I assume that just the labour?

$100 per cable in labour isn't bad depending on how you view it. It can take 30 minutes to 1.5 hours+ per cable pull depending on the situation, skill and luck.

You could decide to just pull 2-3 cables for the furthest points in the house to ethernet backbone mesh points or APs... but once you get going, a few hundred extra for a dedicated wire your entertainment area/gaming area is absolutely worth contemplating. It's typically faster on average (ie: not as long to connect to wifi vs straight up detecting ethernet), more stable in terms of speed and certain devices don't heat up as much with ethernet vs wifi.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:06 PM   #113
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

labour and material
Old 11-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #114
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I did for my wife. I'm still using the WiFi dooflicky I bought. Seems to work fine for where my PC is. Her office is in a bit of a dead spot.
Update on this. The landlord bought some eero 6+ mesh routers.

Seems to be working better than the Google system they had previously. Not seeing as many dropouts as of yet.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #115
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
labour and material
Then that's not bad at all. Obviously you can DIY for cheaper, but paying someone to use their time to deal with a potential frustrating cable fishing situation has a value worth considering.

Are you pulling Cat6 lines? More future proof than Cat5e.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2023, 04:52 PM   #116
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya its cat 6, gonna pull the trigger on it
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 02:28 PM   #117
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the ehternet guy is booked next week or two, but in the meanwhile, Bell provided us with this thing:

It's shocking to me how well this thing works. In the basement I was getting 700 up and download, on par with my wifi

Im kind of considering skipping the ethernet all-together if Bell will set me up with another one of these.

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-01-2023 at 02:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #118
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

cat6 is so 2002, you need cat8 if you want to be futureproof.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:37 AM   #119
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
cat6 is so 2002, you need cat8 if you want to be futureproof.
6 is more future proof than 5e. 10 Gbps for around 180 feet vs 1 Gbps in 5e.

6a does 10 Gbps for 328 feet. This is what I pulled due to the "larger pipe" vs 6 and I do set up a NAS where I do quite a bit of intranet transfer of data.

8 is the successor to 6a, but it's a little weird. 40 Gbps for 78 feet, 25 Gbps for up to 100 feet (extra 22 ft) and 10 Gbps for 101 ft to 328 feet. Even if you could do that much data transfer, make sure whatever you're running it through can handle it because it can overheat doing those speeds at those sustained rates (ie: routers, modem etc.). It feels good quickly copy 20-40 GB of photos and videos for quick review in high def within a few minutes and then deleting them or transferring them to a USB for someone. Holy ####e do fast transfer USBs get hot though.

TBH, how many people need to pull a line that's longer than 60 feet? Usually it's like 120-150 ft max. I did need some 200 ft cables when I pulled lines from the utility room, to the attic, then dropped it back down into the upstairs bedroom, but I had to pull it up two floors and go from one side of the house (utility room basement) to the far side of the house (furthest room on the second floor while pulled through the attic). I think I might need the occasional 250 ft cable if I were to hardwire outdoor cams outside in certain areas. One day, I think.... and perhaps I'd love to mount one on the roof and point it at the mountains for some really cool timelapses and whatnot. But I doubt I'd have the budget and time to do that for like 5+ years. I have too many other projects on my plate to address first.

6 is easier to pull, 6a a little stiffer and IIRC, 8 is quite a bit stiffer and harder to pull and potentially easier to kink for this reason if you're not careful (leading to cable failure issues).

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-05-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #120
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

4X team on each computer, might as well go fiber then.

MOAR POWER