Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #81
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Czarnik should get a shot for sure. He's shown nothing more or less than guys like Jankowski, ryan & to a lesser extent, dube.

On another note, I'd be happy to see dube sent to the ahl. He definitely is very close, but the fact he has gotten caught for multiple massive hits tell me he needs to adjust, and not at the risk of getting clocked again.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #82
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik
Hathaway-Jankowski-Frolik
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #83
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I’d be happy to see Czarnik in over Hathaway or Jankowski. Czar has shown real flashes whereas the other two, not so much.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #84
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I would like to see:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik
Hathaway-Jankowski-Frolik
I've always been hard on Frolik but I don't see why he would get bumped to the 4th line behind 2 guys that he doesn't deserve to be bumped for.

Frolik has been one of our best 8 forwards to date, keep him in the top 9.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #85
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I've always been hard on Frolik but I don't see why he would get bumped to the 4th line behind 2 guys that he doesn't deserve to be bumped for.

I haven't really liked his game when I watch him, but you can't argue with 7 goals in 14 games. He's been very opportunistic. He can play like crap the rest of the time if he keeps up his scoring pace.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #86
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Nov 6 Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I haven't really liked his game when I watch him, but you can't argue with 7 goals in 14 games. He's been very opportunistic. He can play like crap the rest of the time if he keeps up his scoring pace.

Frolik, outside of some dumb penalties, has been his normal steady defensive self. Frolik and Bennett work well on the boards together as well.

Bennett - ? - Frolik

That works for me - but whoever fills that centre spot is the weakness on that line (Ryan/Jankowski). So hopefully Janko/Ryan can find their groove soon.

With that being said, I’d really like to see Dube - Bennett - Frolik.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #87
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

Second this sentiment. Felt like he was going through the motions last year, but this year he has been noticeable in a good way. Definitely keep him in the top nine, and expand his role as needed. I thought it would have been best to move him to make room for czarnik/mangipone/foo, but his resolve early on has contributed to the team's success.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to really? For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #88
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Frolik, outside of some dumb penalties, has been his normal steady defensive self. Frolik and Bennett work well on the boards together as well.

Bennett - ? - Frolik

That works for me - but whoever fills that centre spot is the weakness on that line (Ryan/Jankowski). So hopefully Janko/Ryan can find their groove soon.

With that being said, I’d really like to see Dube - Bennett - Frolik.
I said somewhere that Dube-Bennett-Frolik is a really good forechecking line. Even if they don't score, they are going to dog the puck. It's too bad they all shoot left. But they can all take faceoffs (Frolik is pretty good).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #89
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Michael Frolík is also capable of playing centre, although I don't ever recall him there, with the Flames... wow, just look at all the centres!

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Ryan-Frolik
Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik
Dubé

I'd be neat to eventually see what Dubé, Jankowski, Czarnik can do at 2nd line centre position sometime this season.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #90
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Michael Frolík is also capable of playing centre, although I don't ever recall him there, with the Flames... wow, just look at all the centres!

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Ryan-Frolik
Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik
Dubé

I'd be neat to eventually see what Dubé, Jankowski, Czarnik can do at 2nd line centre position sometime this season.
They've come a long way from the days when Jeff Shantz was their best center!

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #91
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Reddit? Okaaaay.

But if it's true, trade him. I suspect he hasn't distinguished himself in practice. In the games he played, who does he think he beat out of the present lineup?
Let Czarnik earn his spot. He wants playing time? Be better thank Jankowski, Hathaway, Dube or Ryan.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #92
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
The Calgary Flames need their starting goaltender to play well, not Mike Smith. If he's going to be the guy anointed with that role, I hoped it would be based on results. Not salary, not expectations, not this long of a rope.

We already have a better option in Rittich, and until we see Smith outplay Rittich it's a dice roll I'd wish we stopped taking. I'd be downright pissed if I paid to see a home game Smith started. Especially the most recent ones where we all saw it coming. I'm getting pretty tired of letting Smith work it out as I'm watching a hockey team, not Mike's re-bound story (is it even coming?).

This may be early into this season, but he's been downright awful since last January. I don't think I need to approach a year of goaltending being an issue before I hope it's addressed.

Here's his game log:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamel...018/mike-smith
October - Yay! We have a goalie

November - Stinkers against Vancouver AND Toronto in the same month, mixed with great games against Pittsburgh, Columbus and Arizona. Confidence rising, but a wariness looms after 2 games you really wanted to win.

December - Unless Smith has a GAA under 2, we're not winning games this month. Goaltending finally isn't our problem!

January - We're scoring! And I'm legitimately scrolling NHL leaderboards to see where Smith is stacking up.

February - The rebound in Chicago was good, but I'm getting the feeling that Mike is going to need some res-- oh good, he's injured. No problem, Rittich has looked great all year!

March - After a month off, it looks like they were still rushing him back. He opened with a stinker, followed up by shutting out the Oilers, then finished the season pretty awful. It was all but over when they rushed him back, but he put the nail in the coffin himself at home in front of SJ. Another game where the team has to score 5 to win, so they lost 7-4.

For me, we have a goalie that has only shown a few months of good work, and is walking into his 2nd month of awful. I'd love for him to get back to where he left off last Christmas... but that's a pretty long "BRB" to be patiently waiting for...

I'm all for keeping our 1st round pick and having a goaltender battle in January being another feather in Calgary's cap... but until Rittich puts up a Smith-like performance in net, Rittich is your best chance to win games right now. The Kings are a great game for Smith to try and regain his starters role, as we at least have a better chance at scoring another 6 against [insert goalie here] than we do Gibson.
Until Treliving makes a trade, the Flames need Smith. Even if you anoint Rittich the starter, you will have to play Smith a decent amount of the time. Workhorse goalies are rare and usually get there over time. Expecting Rittich to all of a sudden start 60+ games is a huge roll of the dice. Even if it worked in the first couple months, it could massively backfire in the spring. That means even if you give Rittich 50% of the starts or slightly more, Mike Smith is still starting another 30 games at least this year. So yes, unless a trade happens, the Flames need Smith playing at least well enough to not loose them games.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.

Last edited by wingmaker; 11-07-2018 at 11:05 AM.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #93
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Until Treliving makes a trade, the Flames need Smith. Even if you anoint Rittich the starter, you will have to play Smith a decent amount of the time. Workhorse goalies are rare and usually get there over time. Expecting Rittich to all of a sudden start 60+ games is a huge roll of the dice. Even if it worked in the first couple months, it could massively backfire in the spring. That means even if you give Rittich 50% of the starts or slightly more, Mike Smith is still starting another 30 games at least this year. So yes, unless a trade happens, the Flames need Smith playing at least well enough to not loose them games.
It would be great if Rittich saw more than half, and I'm hoping that Smith can at least collect the games you expect your 1B to. I don't have a ton of faith in Rittich as a full starter yet either, so I'm hoping for more of a duo, with Rittich getting the tougher starts.

What would really be great is Smith playing as well as expected.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #94
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It would be great if Rittich saw more than half, and I'm hoping that Smith can at least collect the games you expect your 1B to. I don't have a ton of faith in Rittich as a full starter yet either, so I'm hoping for more of a duo, with Rittich getting the tougher starts.

Exactly. That is the best outcome. Which is why you give Smith some rope in the first couple months of the season. If he still can't be relied upon in early December, Tre probably has to look at trading for someone. Better to keep the assets and get Smith going.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #95
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Exactly. That is the best outcome. Which is why you give Smith some rope in the first couple months of the season. If he still can't be relied upon in early December, Tre probably has to look at trading for someone. Better to keep the assets and get Smith going.
IF Smith gets going. Everyone's welcome to optimism, and I had a ton coming into this season for Smith. But IMO, it's a dice roll that a 36 year old goalie at the bottom of the league is going to be a good starting goalie.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #96
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I really don't see Smith getting to his past form. It would be nice if he developed some consistency though...not sure it can or will happen.

I previously likened Smith's game to a bell curve. His game should have peaked some time ago and he should now be in the declining part of his career. It would be nice if he played consistently like he did for a 15 or 20 game stretch last year but that would be an anomaly and not the norm. Some super skilled athletes can play at a high ability when age catches up with them, but again, that is not the norm.

Smith's play on the ice confirms that his ability has hit the wall and is declining fast. He makes sure both of his feet hug a goal post which is sort of good but then it emphasizes his five hole, especially since he is a tall man. He mainly moves back and forth across the goal line, he rarely comes out to challenge shooters, and his control of rebounds is poor. Plus, he gets rattled and frustrated very easily.

Rittich on the other hand should be on an incline. How far he can raise his game is hard to know as the sample size is so small. The only way to test how far he can better his game is to give him more starts.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote