Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #41
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Considering how few defensemen are on the market this year, I’d say the price tag will be quite high. If a -41 Rasmus Ristolanen is apparently drawing a lot of interest (Friedman), then surely TJ Brodie who can play on both sides then surely Brodie’s value should also be quite good.

If I’m the Flames, draft picks don’t interest me, a young cost controlled forward would be my target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #42
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I'm thinking of Alex Wennberg. Straight across.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Now I'm thinking of Alex Wennberg. Straight across.
Risky contract for the Flames to take on.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #44
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd be disappointed if we don't get at least a late 1st. If we would have held on to him until the trading deadline, I think that what we will have got. So a team getting him for a whole season should pay at least that.

Last edited by standinmotion; 04-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
standinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Considering how few defensemen are on the market this year, I’d say the price tag will be quite high. If a -41 Rasmus Ristolanen is apparently drawing a lot of interest (Friedman), then surely TJ Brodie who can play on both sides then surely Brodie’s value should also be quite good.

If I’m the Flames, draft picks don’t interest me, a young cost controlled forward would be my target.

Brodie would instantly be one of Edmonton's top 4 defensemen so he's got value as there's teams that could use a puck moving defenseman. Jake Gardiner is going to get a good sized contract in the offseason and he's basically the same player. I could see a scenario where he fetches a lat 1st round pick or a solid prospect back.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #46
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Habs fans suggested Drouin
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
At times he looks really good but while the contract isn't bad he's not exactly performing at what you expect for $5.5 million. Not sure the Flames need another skilled but soft winger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #48
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we all will be underwhelmed with what Brodie would get. I’d happily take a first

Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #49
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Drouin is the exact opposite of the type of player the flames should be targeting

Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #50
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Brodie is worth at least a 1st and a 2nd IMO. Not that picks are our first priority though.

GM’s tend to value defenseman a bit higher than most fans do.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #51
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, definitely a lot of people here overvaluing a middling dman on an expiring contract.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #52
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Do not want. In my limited viewings he's a floater. Same for Nylander. Maybe in a 3-way trade.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #53
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

2nd and 3rd. Maybe a B-level prospect and pick. We won't be getting much more than that imo.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Wow, definitely a lot of people here overvaluing a middling dman on an expiring contract.

Jake Muzzin fetched a 1st and some spare parts and while he's probably a slightly better overall player, Brodie has been much more productive and a consistent 35-45 point defenseman that's still under 30. I think his value is underrated by some.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #55
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Before draft day the draft pics are so overvalued, so don't trade Brodie for a draft pick. Better package him with Jankowski, Mangi or even with Kylington or Hanifin and look for 1a, 1b C.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #56
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Jake Muzzin fetched a 1st and some spare parts and while he's probably a slightly better overall player, Brodie has been much more productive and a consistent 35-45 point defenseman that's still under 30. I think his value is underrated by some.
Imo Brodies stats are very much a result of riding the coat tails of Giordano. Every time they have been separated he has looked completely lost. He really doesnt provide much other than decent skating and puckmoving ability.

I also think that there are not a lot of teams that like having a left handed RD, especially on a teams top 4.

I would be pretty surprised if we can get better than a 3rd round pick for him.

Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #57
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
In all honesty to Brodie on an expiring contract is worth maybe a 3rd. He defends at below average nhl level and is moderately above average offensively. Other gms see what we see and more and if we all know he sucks why would they think any differently?
Yeah, anyone claiming he is worth a first round pick is just looking at this sin such a biased way. Brodie is a complete dud. He looks passable in a top pairing role when he's skating with a norris level defenceman like Giordano but having watched him under 3+ coaches and systems now, you know there is no more upside to be found.

He still make 2-3 completely asinine plays a game that typically cost his team badly, while Gio covers up the rest with unbelievable poise. This guy won't fetch more than a second or third round pick from a competent gm, if the Flames are lucky. The more realistic scenario would be that he's thrown into a bigger deal instead of sacrificing younger players.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #58
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id trade him for Markstrom. Both have 1 year left. Both teams trading for need from a place of strength.

Seems ok to me. As its Benning we may even get a 3rd rd pick
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #59
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Yeah, anyone claiming he is worth a first round pick is just looking at this sin such a biased way. Brodie is a complete dud. He looks passable in a top pairing role when he's skating with a norris level defenceman like Giordano but having watched him under 3+ coaches and systems now, you know there is no more upside to be found.

He still make 2-3 completely asinine plays a game that typically cost his team badly, while Gio covers up the rest with unbelievable poise. This guy won't fetch more than a second or third round pick from a competent gm, if the Flames are lucky. The more realistic scenario would be that he's thrown into a bigger deal instead of sacrificing younger players.

I think it is you who is completely biased. You are placing far too much weight on the mistakes and multiplying them way beyond reason. No way he is averaging that level of errors and no way is his value anywhere near that ridiculously low valuation.

He is a good D man albeit with some flaws and he is on a decent contract.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #60
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I think it is you who is completely biased. You are placing far too much weight on the mistakes and multiplying them way beyond reason. No way he is averaging that level of errors and no way is his value anywhere near that ridiculously low valuation.

He is a good D man albeit with some flaws and he is on a decent contract.
Bah...Focus on the guy when you're watching the game. Even for a few shifts, and it's not hard to tell how poor of a player he is.

He simply cannot make efficient reads against fast or high skill players. He constantly puts his teammates in bad positions because of this, and commits terrible turnovers, constantly. That's the truth, it's not bias.

Please tell me what you think a fair valuation is then, when guys that are superior players, with some term on their deals, don't even fetch the first round pick value some are pegging on him. "He is a good D man albeit with some flaws" pretty much negates your entire argument - who is giving up a first rounder for a so so player with flaws who has been easily replaced by a rookie all season? Yikes.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-22-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote