Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #61
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Yeah, that is troublesome about Tkachuk. I’m not sure if he is being told to dial down his schtick in the playoffs or not. If not, I’m curious if he is ailing more than we’ve previously heard about.
I’m interested in our injuries now. Not because it changes anything, but just for some rational explanation for what we just witnessed.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #62
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
This is two playoffs now that we've adorned Matthew with fanfare about how he's "made for the playoffs" and that his game is "built for the postseason".

He's been ####ing invisible again
He has stretches in the regular season where he vanishes, but I never expected that to carry into the post season. He’s our heart and soul, and he was mostly going through the motions. Except game 1, which we won.

I can relax about him asking for $8mil, at this point I’d be surprised if his contract started with a 7.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #63
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Was it toughness or just more skill/speed? Without much clobbering Flames players into the boards or great open ice bodychecks, the Avs simply won most of the puck battles along the boards. They anticipated and intercepted passes, ran circles around the Flames on offence, and usually prevented the Flames from mounting sustained pressure when the Flames were on offence. The fear they generated in the Flames was not fear of getting hit, it was fear of making mistakes.
Both.

And when we're talking about toughness we're not just talking about hitting and fighting. Toughness is being willing to go into the corners and actually fight for the puck. Toughness is being willing to drive the front of the net. Toughness is being wiling to take a hit to make a play.

The Flames weren't fast enough. The Flames weren't desperate enough. The Flames weren't committed enough. The Flames weren't tough enough. The Flames weren't gritty enough. They didn't show a burning will to win. In the past you could have said the Flames weren't skilled enough. Well I don't think that's the issue now. The Flames are skilled enough.

Not every player has to be huge. But I do agree that you can only have so many soft guys in the playoffs and go so far with them. I think what this playoffs taught is that that overall we're still too soft. I think Treliving already knows this as the attempt to get Reaves last summer showed.

We can address the speed issue partially from within as Dube is a burner and Czarnik has speed as well and deleting Neal and adding one or both of those will make a difference. But Czarnik is another soft player. Addressing the grit issue looks be the hard issue. It can't be done by promoting our prospects. Although I do think Mangiapane, Lazar and Dube play a decently gritty game for their size and they are all candidates to make the roster next year.

Addressing the softness/grittiness issue seems to be something Treliving will have to address through yet another blockbuster trade. Should be a crazy time around the draft again. Some of us were on Dougie after last season for his soft player and he was shown the door. Will Flames management decide they have to part with one of Gaudreau/Monahan because of their soft play? That seems to be the big question that will loom to me.

We didn't have enough drivers and competitors. We didn't have enough guys step up and elevate their game when it matters most. We need more guys who go balls to the wall every shift and bring energy and lead by example. More guys who play with high levels of desperation and compete. More guys who fight through checking when the going gets tough. And we could use more breakaway speed as any team could. Pity Dube didn't get into any games, would've liked to see what he looked like in the playoffs.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-21-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #64
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Tkachuk
Curious to hear if he hurt himself when Zadorov hit him right at the beginning of game 2. That lines up with the start of his being ineffective
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #65
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Your opinion is wrong. They didn’t play up to their abilities but how are they easily the worst team in the playoffs? Have you seen all the upsets so far this post season?
Meant to say their play was the worst of all teams in the playoffs. Although they were swept, I though Tampa and Pittsburgh provided more competition than the Flames.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #66
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The Avs had a couple of kinds of speed. The speed of an individual that is noticeable when MacKinnon turns on the jets, and team speed that comes with knowing what to do.

The one being talked about when you suggest Things like Neal out, Czarnik in, or Dube in for whomever implies that the individual player speed is what won. You can’t deny how effective MacKinnon was, but that wasn’t the whole story.

The one that matters comes more from team speed. Colorado knew what Calgary’s tendencies were and stripped the puck many times with ease.

No player can skate as fast as a team in control can move a fast moving puck.

Under pressure, you sink to the level of your preparation. Flames were caught not having a plan, and got exposed.

Peters earns marks for overall season results, but loses a ton around play post all star game, and loses many more for how the Avalanche owned the Flames
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #67
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The Avs had a couple of kinds of speed. The speed of an individual that is noticeable when MacKinnon turns on the jets, and team speed that comes with knowing what to do.

The one being talked about when you suggest Things like Neal out, Czarnik in, or Dube in for whomever implies that the individual player speed is what won. You can’t deny how effective MacKinnon was, but that wasn’t the whole story.

The one that matters comes more from team speed. Colorado knew what Calgary’s tendencies were and stripped the puck many times with ease.

No player can skate as fast as a team in control can move a fast moving puck.

Under pressure, you sink to the level of your preparation. Flames were caught not having a plan, and got exposed.

Peters earns marks for overall season results, but loses a ton around play post all star game, and loses many more for how the Avalanche owned the Flames
Calgary just couldn’t clear the puck. A ton of their outlet passes were picked off.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #68
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Tkachuk certainly didn't look good outside of Game 1, but I wonder how differently things play out both for Tkachuk and the team in general if Frolik buries that glorious chance in Game 2 OT.

Chucky set him up in the crease with an open far side of the net. Should have been a 2-0 series with Tkachuk the main offensive reason.

Hell, Tkachuk gets the primary assist if Backlund buries his OT chance in Game 4. Could have been a 2-2 series at that moment, or a 3-1 Flames series if both of Tkachuk's linemates score on their chances.

Last edited by AC; 04-21-2019 at 08:09 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #69
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Tkachuk certainly didn't look good outside of Game 1, but I wonder how differently things play out both for Tkachuk and the team in general if Frolik buries that glorious chance in Game 2 OT.

Chucky set him up in the crease with an open far side of the net. Should have been a 2-0 series with Tkachuk the main offensive reason.

Hell, Tkachuk gets the primary assist if Backlund buries his OT chance in Game 4. Could have been a 2-2 series at that moment, or a 3-1 Flames series if both of Tkachuk's linemates score on their chances.
For as bad as the Flames were they had leads late, and chances to end 2 games in overtime and take a 3-1 lead home on Friday instead of the reverse.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #70
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
For as bad as the Flames were they had leads late, and chances to end 2 games in overtime and take a 3-1 lead home on Friday instead of the reverse.
Look at the Sharks game tonight. Best team doesn’t always win.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #71
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Look at the Sharks game tonight. Best team doesn’t always win.
Yup I just stated in the OOT thread the Sharks did what I thought the Flames would do. Win convincingly at home game 5. Fend off a furious effort from the Avs in game 6 then set up a huge game 7. The knights punished the Sharks for 3 straight but San Jose captured the momentum. Had the Flames won game 2 and 4 the Avs would never of had the confidence they displayed game 3-5.

Oh well it is over for us maybe San Jose stays alive?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #72
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lmao...so doom and gloom...all you can do in sports (and in life) is to keep on fighting year after year.... let's get back at it!
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #73
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

ONE winner and 30 losers. The NHL is a tough business.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #74
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
I don't know. 1990, 94, 95, 2006 are up there. Those teams were expected to succeed even before the regular season began, as I recall (certainly in 1990). If 2019 is the "most disappointing" because of the way they lost, then yeah, maybe it is.
Dont forget 1988 getting swept in a BOA hurts

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #75
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

This board is so melodramatic. The post game threads after a loss are a micro chasm of it and it's full blown right now.

I'll be there at the season opener, and I will watch every game, as usual.

The Flames are my team and I will cheer for them regardless. It may be 1 year or it may be 40 but they'll win it all again. And I can say I've been there the whole time.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #76
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Dont forget 1988 getting swept in a BOA hurts

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Yep should have blown up that team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #77
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
This is two playoffs now that we've adorned Matthew with fanfare about how he's "made for the playoffs" and that his game is "built for the postseason".

He's been ####ing invisible again
dear lord look at his age in those two rounds...and yeah if his mates could bury wide open chances he would have setup two OT winners
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #78
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I hate that millennial crap jargon Flames gonna Flame.
Lol it's hard to argue against it though.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #79
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Preach it, sister.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #80
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
This board is so melodramatic. The post game threads after a loss are a micro chasm of it and it's full blown right now.

I'll be there at the season opener, and I will watch every game, as usual.

The Flames are my team and I will cheer for them regardless. It may be 1 year or it may be 40 but they'll win it all again. And I can say I've been there the whole time.
I get what you are saying, everyone over reacts. Especially after losses and especially after playoff losses. But I do think the Flames are losing or at least aren’t building new fans. I became a huge fan at 10 during the 86 run of course it helped that my Dad was already a fan. From 86-98 I was a huge rabid fan. Then we were so bad and in that era I was more discouraged by the NHL economics that even if we draft or developed a superstar we’ll never be able to keep them so what is the point. I drifted away until the 04 run. That reignited my passion but after 4 more playoff disappointments I again drifted away and even now am not the same fan I was when I was younger. I look at my kids who are now the same age I was in 86 and who enjoy watching the odd game with me but they are not big fans. I think a run or success when they are this age goes a long way to building team loyalty. ( I was 13 when they won the cup and I still cherish the memories from that glorious run.) Will we watch some games next year, of course but I can guarantee none of my kids are looking at the calendar waiting for October like I was when I was their age.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post: