Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:
Exclamation Mafia Championship Invitation

Yesterday I received a message inviting us to select a person from Calgarypuck to participate in a Mafia Championship series happening elsewhere on the internet (mafiascum maybe?). Looks pretty huge, and a potentially big time commitment. Take a read through the info below:

------------------------------------------------

Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello fellow Mafia enthusiasts!

My name is Thingyman. I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ players from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week. Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April 18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best players. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase. I repeat: These games will be active.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.
• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

I can link to the setup if a link is okay.

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

------------------------------------------------

Here's a summary of things I wanted to take special note of:
- We would need to inform Thingyman by Friday if anyone here is interested.
- We would need to name a person and a backup to him in a few weeks.
- The days will move quickly, and you will be expected to post quite a bit during them.

So, with that said, is anyone up for representing Calgarypuck in this? We have quite a few people here who have proven themselves to be excellent players, so I feel like it could be a fun opportunity if anyone has the time to do it!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Thingyman
Draft Pick

Thanks a lot, Mazrim

I'm here to answer any questions that you might have.

Re: the venue, it will take place on a site called Mafia Universe.

I hope you guys end up sending a representative, it's indeed a very cool and fun event - and a lot of fun for the communities to spectate as well. We even have a Skype chat with 100+ people that spectate the games each year, and this season we're doubling the number of involved communities, so it'll be sure to be even bigger and more exciting
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thingyman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we should vote on who we want to send?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

squiggs, 100%. Then internet mafia world will think CP is smart!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm willing to take a bullet for CP ... wait never mind.
Would nominating Olling to clamp his jaws into these people constitute cruel and unusual punishment to those poor unknowing souls?
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my top 3 would be Oling, GGG and squiggs.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I have the time to commit to that. I played a bit on mafia scum and the posting rate is intense.

Are we allowed to co-play an account? So send a few of us as one account.

HG you should add yourself to that list of people.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't know if I have the time to commit to that. I played a bit on mafia scum and the posting rate is intense.

I don't know that community but that seems completely against the spirit of mafia. The whole point is a bunch of individuals get placed in the game, on different teams and then you use your own thoughts, plus those that are confirmed or perceived to be on your team to win the game.

To create a "team" as a single player, therefore giving you a hugely unfair advantage of multiple brains thinking plus way more time committed seems absolutely unfair and ruins the spirit of the game.

But again, I don't know the community, for all I know it's something that actually happens and is supported.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I'm willing to take a bullet for CP ... wait never mind.
Tired of being shot at by the same crowd huh?

My vote goes to Oling too.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Squiggs was the winner of the CP game that GirlySports ran. That seems like fair qualification to represent the board in a similar type of tournament.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mrkajz won, not squiggs.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Throwing out an idea, if he's interested: send Mazrim!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #13
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Mrkajz won, not squiggs.
Oops, my mistake. Sorry Mrkajz!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #14
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

My first thought was also Oling
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Oops, my mistake. Sorry Mrkajz!
No worries - though I didn't think my lagacy would be so short lived...

My vote is for GGG personally. Always seemed to have the roles figured out and had the best understanding of what really occurred during the night phase of things. Oling would be great too, but we have to make sure he's not too pushy - we don't want a bad rep here at CP!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Honestly, I don't think Oling would be giving anyone a bad rap. Many people who play Mafia are very aggressive, so it's not unusual at all. I assume in something like this, it's going to probably get that way.

Maybe we should get a poll set up in this thread to vote on who we believe would be the best candidates? Then we can see who is available and interested from that list.

(SebC - I appreciate the thought, but I would have no interest in participating in this event. Sorry!)
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
Thingyman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

This is referred to as a "hydra" by many communities. Many communities have actually suggested this, though unfortunately it's not allowed. We will do a hydra event though at some point
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It's probably more efficient to figure out who wants to play, then choose.

Last edited by SebC; 04-04-2016 at 11:40 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
This is referred to as a "hydra" by many communities. Many communities have actually suggested this, though unfortunately it's not allowed. We will do a hydra event though at some point
Out of the darkness and into the light

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #20
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you have to shortlist a few people first and then vote for them.

It would hurt to know your name was the seventh one voted for but you got picked by default.

We want to send someone with confidence that they are our favourite.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
championship , edmonton is no good , mafia , toronto is no good , vancouver is no good