Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #41
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like the throwback to TOS pilot with the zoo situation . Very next gen with the new officer learning command theme too. Gotta say I'm enjoying the "realistic" take too, shooting tequila and freaking out makes way more sense than suddenly just having the confidence out of no where.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I really like the throwback to TOS pilot with the zoo situation . Very next gen with the new officer learning command theme too. Gotta say I'm enjoying the "realistic" take too, shooting tequila and freaking out makes way more sense than suddenly just having the confidence out of no where.
I love the every day speak in this, when Scott Grimes asks for permission to speak freely, gets it, tells her that the Captain would have saved her and then ends it with a "You suck" I fist pumped.

The beer at 9 am peeks its head up again.

Pretty sly joke that the worst of humanity becomes the best exhibit ever, I'd love them to go back to that civilization later and find out it destroyed itself.

Oh and the Bortas baby thing is going to be interesting in how they handle a really serious ethical debate.

The opening jokes between Bortas and Ed was a bit awkward, but I did like the I could go for some eggs ending.

the special effects are really top notch for this show.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #43
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the pilot on the weekend. Very enjoyable show. Light, funny, and not that far off Star Trek in the production values and action. The snark is a welcome antidote to the preachy tone of traditional Trek.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
New episode tonight was solid. Honestly felt like the plot of a classic TNG episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I feel like every single Star Trek series has had a 'Museum' episode.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #45
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nd was an improvement on the first, and the first wasn't bad

hope it just continues to get better, the critic hate for Macfarlane was always going to be there

He seems to be really passionate about this, he was the one that got cosmos on the air on fox too
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

He did an AMA on reddit about a week ago. Mentioned he hasn't been involved in Family Guy, except purely as a voice actor, since 2010. Blew my mind. Had no idea he'd been distanced from the show and for that long.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #47
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
He did an AMA on reddit about a week ago. Mentioned he hasn't been involved in Family Guy, except purely as a voice actor, since 2010. Blew my mind. Had no idea he'd been distanced from the show and for that long.
He's been pretty open about the fact he's just waiting/hoping for the show to end.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
2nd was an improvement on the first, and the first wasn't bad

hope it just continues to get better, the critic hate for Macfarlane was always going to be there

He seems to be really passionate about this, he was the one that got cosmos on the air on fox too
Lump me in there too. I wasnt aware of him distancing himself from Family Guy as that show grew stale to me really fast and then I just sort of ignored its existence.

It just seems like hes growing up, which is great because the guy has a lot of talent.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #49
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

91% by fans on RT, under 17% from critics. And he talks about using the 75-piece orchestra for each episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#751e2a7d5357

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
91% by fans on RT, under 17% from critics. And he talks about using the 75-piece orchestra for each episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#751e2a7d5357
Thats actually a really interesting article.

I really didnt like Family Guy and American Dad and his movies, but the man has talent, it just doesnt resonate well with me in particular. I can say the same thing about people like Seth Rogan and others.

So what? I give them a shot and if its good then its good. You dont have to love the guy making it, let the work speak for itself.

So far I've really enjoyed 'The Orville' and its partly because I think Macfarlane has grown up a bit and partly because now hes applying his talents to a genre that appeals to me more.

But thats all about me. Nothing to do with him.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #51
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I really didnt like Family Guy and American Dad and his movies, but the man has talent, it just doesnt resonate well with me in particular. I can say the same thing about people like Seth Rogan and others.
Family Guy should have been put out to pasture about seven years ago. American Dad is hit and miss, but the episode where he gets addicted to crack had me crying I was laughing so much. But how can you not like Ted? Especially the first one. It was so good.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #52
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I finally caught the first two episodes and I couldn't stop smiling. I've always known that Seth was a deeply devoted fan who was capable of more than the superficial humor that appeared in his animated shows. Amidst the toilet humor, he's shown glimpses of the drama and heart in his productions which are shining through in this.

He has really created something better than any Star Trek we've had for the last 20 years and I find myself worrying about the survival of a TV show for the first time in a decade.

There's so much devotion and heart that's gone into this, from the orchestral score with the 75 piece band to the scale model ship miniatures used when CGI isn't needed...this show is simply amazing. Seth has said in interviews that he misses the optimistic future of old TV rather than the dreary, gritty stuff we see every day and until now, I never realized how much I missed it as well.

Yes, the humor falls flat a lot of the time but if you grew up watching TOS, TNG, etc. and want to feel those feelings again; ignore the critics. This show is the best TV I've seen in decades.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-20-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #53
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It just seems like hes growing up, which is great because the guy has a lot of talent.
It's not uncommon for people who make a lot of coin in showbiz to use their clout on vanity projects - which are usually awful. The cool thing about McFarlane is he's using that clout on projects (Cosmos, the Orville) that are actually better than what he did to earn that clout in the first place.

As for the Orville, this quote from the Forbes articles sums up the appeal for me:

Quote:
"That’s the one thing that, whether we’re dealing with the comedy or the drama side of it, it always feels like a fun show, and I think that’s something that isn’t all that prevalent in television these days. I think a lot of what we’re seeing is very dark and very depressing. For something to capture a sense of fun, it seems to me like a rarity in the television landscape today."
It's light and it's fun without being idiotic. Which is surprisingly rare on TV these days.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think I said it before, but the opening scene with the egg discussion and the jokes around that were just awkward and weird and felt like they were pushing it. But as weird and unfunny as it was, I was thinking, this is how Ed feels talking to Bortas, its not making us laugh and its not making Bortas laugh. I thought it was neat. Then after Bortas left and Ed comments that he suddenly wants eggs was actually really funny.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #55
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think I said it before, but the opening scene with the egg discussion and the jokes around that were just awkward and weird and felt like they were pushing it. But as weird and unfunny as it was, I was thinking, this is how Ed feels talking to Bortas, its not making us laugh and its not making Bortas laugh. I thought it was neat. Then after Bortas left and Ed comments that he suddenly wants eggs was actually really funny.
"If you got one more in ya, dibs on the omelet" made me actually lol.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #56
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up: The Orville switches to Thursdays starting tonight.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #57
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Heads up: The Orville switches to Thursdays starting tonight.
Thank Dog my PVR is smarter than me!
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #58
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Thoughts on tonights 3rd episode.

Spoiler!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #59
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is quite the show. Did not expect that ending.

Only 3 episodes in and it's become a must watch for me.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #60
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, that was just great science fiction.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote