Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #621
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
OMG watching season 3 is like watching paint dry. No pace to it at all.
I don't agree with that at all. People say the same about Better Call Saul, and to me those are the two most engaging shows on TV right now, and about the only 2 shows I can sit through without multi-tasking on my phone or something
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #622
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 3 has been a lot more enjoyable than Season 2.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 AM   #623
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tonight's episode was best yet!
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #624
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Season 3 has been great. Way better than season 2 and in the same conversation as season 1. Mahershala Ali is a very good actor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #625
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I fell asleep before the end of the latest episode so I am a bit behind, but what I like about this season is that I can't even figure out which guys I should be rooting for. Seeing just how ugly the whole process was and suddenly seeing good guys look more like bad guys and vice-versa has kept it interesting.

I've been super impressed by Stephen Dorff. I only knew him from Blade so I didn't have particularly high expectations (unlike Ali who has a great reputation) but have been impressed as his character ebbs and flows through the years.
dobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #626
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crickets around here... is everyone that disappointed?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #627
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Loved it and thought as a full season it was better than season 1. That finale was *chef’s kiss*
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #628
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great season up to the finale. Really let down by it.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #629
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was really well done. The way they twisted from disbelief, to despair, to disappointment, then to unresolved hope was quite a ride. Reminded me of the Season 1 finale and Rust's musing on light and dark, just a softer tone.

You didn't feel the harshness and dread like season 1, but make no mistake this was about all kinds of tragedy.

Hope they keep the momentum going for Season 4.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #630
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Great season up to the finale. Really let down by it.

Yup.

Was watching the finale and waiting for something interesting to happen.... and crickets. All that build up for that ending, meh.

Was better then season 2 but that's no saying much.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #631
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

4 timelines and a main character that’s hard to understand made the season kind of hard to follow for me. It was good though.

So like the cops were just really lazy the whole time as opposed to corrupt? No one was actually involved except one trooper? They just KEPT wanting to pin deaths on somebody ASAP and move on, even AFTER just having to overturn a conviction?

I thought the police bosses incompetence was a bit of lazy writing if nobody high up was actually involved in the case. The whole season hinted at some huge cover up
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #632
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched two episodes when my wife gave up, which is annoying because I know she’ll want to watch this a year or two from now and she’ll catch up starting from the beginning.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #633
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree the final resolution to the case was a bit odd given the build up over 7 episodes and the expectation of some massive cover up and a heinous crime. The dark ominous music continued right until the end and you were expecting something pretty awful to be revealed. Didn’t quite happen, but there is no question that it was mostly a return to season 1 form with the writing and acting. The pretentious script from s2 is gone and every episode was highly entertaining.

My favorite take away from the season is definitely going to be the perpetual scowl on Roland’s face.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #634
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I got caught up finally. Not sure how I feel about the ending. I didn't actually know I was on the last episode since I have been behind all season and not paying much attention to episode number. So I was excited when Michael Rooker showed up. Thought that was where it was going for a bit. Was a little let down when he was only in that single scene and then they end up just solving the whole thing in that interview with the weird eyed guy.

Overall though it was a very enjoyable season for me. I was late to the party on season 1 and binge watched it a few weeks after it had ended. Because of that compressed viewing, it makes it pretty hard to top for me. Getting to enjoy this one more spread out was nice, as I did have time to daydream about what I thought was going on.
dobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #635
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

After going on a bit of a true crime podcast binge over the past few months this season was perfect. It was the same kind of deflating resolution that comes with true crime, with just a flicker of hope and a dab of "you can't make this stuff up" feel to it.

Stephen Dorff was freaking brilliant.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #636
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the seasons fit nicely into 3 clear tiers.

Season 1 was incredible and in the conversation for greatest television series season of all time.

Season 2 was average at best.

Season 3 was excellent but not to the level of Season 1.

Lots of great things about Season 3 including the performances of both Ali and Dorff. Carmen Ejogo is mesmerizing in every way. Lots of interesting themes that we didn't see in Season 1, but the case itself was far less intriguing to me when it all wrapped up. Additionally, Rust Cohle is about as fascinating a character as I can imagine for a detective. Season 1 has multiple episodes with 9.5+ ratings on IMDB.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 03-12-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #637
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I think the seasons fit nicely into 3 clear tiers.

Season 1 was incredible and in the conversation for greatest television series season of all time.

Season 2 was average at best.

Season 3 was excellent but not to the level of Season 1.

Lots of great things about Season 3 including the performances of both Ali and Dorff. Carmen Ejogo is mesmerizing in every way. Lots of interesting themes that we didn't see in Season 1, but the case itself was far less intriguing to me when it all wrapped up. Additionally, Rust Cohle is about as fascinating a character as I can imagine for a detective. Season 1 has multiple episodes with 9.5+ ratings on IMDB.
good call

really came away impressed by Dorff as I didn't realize he had these kind of chops, Ali was unbelievable (mumbling aside) but I guess I expected that. Ejogo was not someone I knew well before.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #638
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got around to watching this, and echo the sentiments that it was better than season 2 which was the bare minimum, but doesn't compete with season 1, which is pretty much an impossible feat.

Ejogo was a great take away for me as well. Never heard of her beforehand, but she did a great performance in her role.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #639
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally finished watching this tonight. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the performances. I agree that the story/case wasn't quite as enthralling as S1, but overall I thought it was a huge improvement over S2 with some top quality writing and acting.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #640
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post: