Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #21
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodieyouevenlift View Post
I'm 24, and the only time the Flames actually accomplished anything meaningful I was too young to appreciate it or even remember it. I'm too emotionally invested in this team to simply stop watching. But now I'm just stuck wondering, what the point anymore? Everytime time it seems there's a little bit of hope, the Flames always find a way to ruin it. This franchise has brought me plenty of joy over the years, but it is far outweighed by all the crushing disappointed year after year
As Jiri said, and just few it as it is, entertainment. Enjoy the good times when they happen, and don't get upset over the low lights.

Tonight, and this series in general sucks, but my life still goes on, and the sun will rise tomorrow just like any other day. I'll live my regular routine, without Flames games mixed in there for the next several months. When the season starts up again, watch again for entertainment, and hope there's a lot more good things to enjoy, rather than crappy things to endure.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #22
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not old enough to have seen the '89 run so this is all I know.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #23
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Feel lucky if you were around in 89.

it's still the same but expectations where much higher - after 89 the expectation was to match the Oilers in cups yet they were knocked out of the first round if the made it for the next 7 years.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #24
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I have faith in Treliving and how he's gone about assembling our team. He's done a lot of good things since taking over the role as GM. I suspect there will be a few trades in the offseason to make our team better.

Some times you have to face adversity before you move to the next level. The players will learn from this painful loss and become better players. It's the lack of playoff success that makes it harder to bear.

I've been following the Flames since they moved to Calgary and despite the loss will wake up the next morning and realise it that next year will bring more exciting games to watch.

Now I can focus on my golf game

Last edited by Dion; 04-20-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is painful that this roster failed to gain much playoff experience this year with a whopping 5 games. They are halfway through the Gaudreau extension and have 1 playoff win to show for it. We live in a market that will always struggle to attract and keep the best talent. I am still hopeful this core can get it done but it was a guy punch to see Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk look so mediocre in the playoffs this year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Feel lucky if you were around in 89.
There was a lot of heart ache back in that era too. We could have won multiple Cups but you had similar disappointments back then with the team not living up to expectations in the playoffs.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
There was a lot of heart ache back in that era too. We could have won multiple Cups but you had similar disappointments back then with the team not living up to expectations in the playoffs.
At least we are not Canucks fans
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #28
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For the poster who was blaming the owners. Give your head a shake. How many guys have they allowed to be bought out the past 5 years? The owners have also taken loses the last two years. Tre has a plan. He's a good GM. Let's keep moving forward and see what happens. One team wins it all every year. Just be glad your not an Coilers fan.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 AM   #29
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Only Flames Organization I've Ever Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Oh I’m sure, I’m aware of this teams history of playoff disappointments. At least you gotta see a season where the ultimate prize was reached, even though those Flames teams could’ve have achieved even more. I haven’t seen the flames get passed the second round since my first year of fandom in 2004 when I was 9. I guess I’ll take solace that I was able to see Iggy dominate, but I still get sad knowing we wasted his prime years as well. This year’s disappointment is definitely the biggest one for me since I’ve been a fan. The way they went though the whole season, just to go out with barely a wimper. I thought the team had way more character and heart than what was shown. The loss I can handle, the way they lost makes me less optimistic about this cores future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 04-20-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #30
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Only Flames Organization I've Ever Known

Dp
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #31
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm officially resigned to it. I guess this is what growing up is like.
Try being a flames fan and coyotes fan. I don’t want to see what both playoff histories look like... FML
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 AM   #32
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think from past experience everyone is guarded in the first round. The lid would blow off if they made it to the second. In the back of everyone's mind (mine anyway) is the fear that they will bow out in the first round no matter who they play.

They weren't even competitive which is very disappointing.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:07 AM   #33
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It sucks when your best playoff memory ended with the biggest heart break in flames history. Says a lot about the last 15 years. Feel lucky if you were around in 89. Disappointments my whole life, but that’s sports and I’ll ride with this team forever.

It truly is amazing that even after all the years of not making the playoffs the flames have still not gotten a draft pick in the top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's ben way longer than 15 years for this fan . The older I get the more I realize how much time has been wasted and the more I could have done more things with my time. I always say I'll be a fan forever but I look back at all the time I could have spent diversifying my interests and question it. Sports are fun bit theres far better things I could have spent it on that doesn't beak my heart.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #34
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

My experience with the Flames started from 01-02 so it's not as bad. Still a lot of disappointment and heartbreak in that time period.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #35
DMac
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Please win a Stanley cup in my lifetime.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #36
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just imagine the sweet sweet feeling once we actually win the Stanley Cup.

Hopefully happens in my lifetime too.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is crazy that I was fortunate to see the Flames win the cup as a teenager and could live to 80+ and never see the win it again. Just goes to show how you have to appreciate it when it happens.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #38
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
For the poster who was blaming the owners. Give your head a shake. How many guys have they allowed to be bought out the past 5 years? The owners have also taken loses the last two years. Tre has a plan. He's a good GM. Let's keep moving forward and see what happens. One team wins it all every year. Just be glad your not an Coilers fan.
Part of being a good hockey executive is making sure you have excellent management and scouting staffs in place. I'm not convinced this organization has ever really had that over these past 3 decades. The fact that so many players have had to be bought out is evidence of subpar management and decision making.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #39
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for bringing it up, OP. You said it way better than I did. Can't believe this team hasn't had much playoff success.

That said, I do sincerely hope the Flames' latest first round exit would be a stepping stone towards Crosby Penguins/Ovi Capitals-like progression. You know playoffs every year LMAO.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealPepman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #40
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the 25 years I have followed this team, I have never seen a series victory in less than 6 games. On the flip side...at least we are not Edmonton...