Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #861
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
And by lose you mean only be worth 50 billion dollars and have more money than he could ever spend.
Yes....

haha.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #862
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Then imagine how successful everyone of his company’s have been to date.
Just save us all the time and send us each a copy of the Fountainhead.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #863
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Society will judge that individual, throttle their opportunities and tarnish their image as adequate punishment. Look what's happening to Kanye West. We didn't need laws to punish his vitriol. Kanye could have backed down and thoughtfully apologized. He didn't, and now he's paying the price. And an uncensored platform is what outed him and lead to his downfall. Kinda neat how that works. Isn't it? Donald Trump lost the election, and he wasn't booted off Twitter until after he lost. He was free to spew his nonsense, and it contributed to his downfall. I'd say that's another win for free speech.
You've just used two prime examples of so-called "cancel culture" in action as a great thing and examples of free speech, but then you go on about how you hate cancel culture.

Is this like when they polled people and they loved the Affordable Care Act but hated Obamacare?
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #864
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
That is exactly what happens. Where or when did it become illegal?
It is in England and Germany just off the top of my head. I'm sure there is many more.

To be perfectly clear, I do not advocate people using racial slurs. I just don't believe it should be law.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #865
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Will some feelings get hurt? Sure. But Western Societies biggest handicap in my opinion, and what has weakened it more than anything, is how we have absolutely lost the ability to accept criticism or dust off insults and we are trying to control free thought and free speech as a result. We once had skin as thick as an alligator and had the ability to be offended without a tribunal. Now, you can't even point out factual data if it in anyway singles out a marginalized group or individual.
Aren't you the same dude who has rage-quit CP on multiple occasions because you had your feelings hurt?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #866
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Aren't you the same dude who has rage-quit CP on multiple occasions because you had your feelings hurt?
No, I left because on two occasions, my livelihood was compromised by SJW's that decided to try and get me fired because I held a view they didn't agree with.

And if I recall correctly, you were one of the people that was involved.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #867
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada doesn't have full free speech anyways.

But regardless - it doesn't apply to Twitter as a company. He can turn it into a (more) hate filled site all he wants, but advertisers don't have to advertise there and hosting and/or cloud companies don't have to work with him if he does.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #868
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a full list of everyone's boss on a spreadsheet.. if anyone crosses me.. immediate email.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #869
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to be a lot of paranoia going around.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #870
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if I recall correctly, you were one of the people that was involved.
That's news to me. I have no idea where you work.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #871
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might be counter intuitive, but I only say my most controversial opinions IRL.

I refuse to say anything crazy on the internet. The staying power and ability to spread is just too great to #### with.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #872
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I have a full list of everyone's boss on a spreadsheet.. if anyone crosses me.. immediate email.
What about the other 95% of posters on cp with no job? The millennials living in their parents basement and the boomers.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #873
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
You've just used two prime examples of so-called "cancel culture" in action as a great thing and examples of free speech, but then you go on about how you hate cancel culture.

Is this like when they polled people and they loved the Affordable Care Act but hated Obamacare?
Yes and no...LOL.

I don't believe anyone should be told what they can and cannot say. Nobody shouldn't be censored in the first place. Obviously there are limitations. Trump incited a riot, and we all know it. He should be held accountable. He and his minions yelled fire in a crowded theater essentially. If you say something so stupid and offensive you dig your own grave, so be it. As Kanye did. That's good cancel culture.

My issue is with how far cancel culture went. I do disagree with people having their lives ruined because they simply don't agree with something. Have a different or opposing view. Or have a moment of weakness and say one stupid sentence in their life's journey. But once the SJW mob decides your time is up.... you don't have a chance.

I think a good example is Jordan Peterson. Say what you want about the guy, but he's made it clear his issue with C16 never had anything to do with the Trans community, it was with compelled speech component. They didn't exactly 'cancel' him per se, as he has quite the audience and wealth now. But he was driven from his chosen profession as a result of his opinion and holding his ground on an issue.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #874
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Notoriously cancelled Jordan Peterson whom no one ever hears from anymore because the SJW menace…I dunno they murdered him or something? I’m pretty sure he’s dead he’s never on Twitter or any other platform to this day spewing his same idiotic bile. Goddamned cancel culture.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #875
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see Musk as the big bad wolf as the Ultra left does. In fact, I believe once the histrionics stop and the dust settles, Twitter will be better for it. The absolute hypocrisy that we keep hearing "Without censorship, democracy will fail!" is so out of touch with what democracy actually is, it's mind numbing.

I believe fully and completely in free speech, right up to hateful and racist speech. Inciting violence, murder or criminal activity is where the line should be drawn. But saying "I hate (insert slur)" shouldn't be a crime. Society will judge that individual, throttle their opportunities and tarnish their image as adequate punishment. Look what's happening to Kanye West. We didn't need laws to punish his vitriol. Kanye could have backed down and thoughtfully apologized. He didn't, and now he's paying the price. And an uncensored platform is what outed him and lead to his downfall. Kinda neat how that works. Isn't it? Donald Trump lost the election, and he wasn't booted off Twitter until after he lost. He was free to spew his nonsense, and it contributed to his downfall. I'd say that's another win for free speech.

I've lost count on how many people I've corrected on Jew slurs over the years in my presence. Instead of 'cancelling' them, or firing them, I'll simply say. "Hey man, I'm Jewish, not nice...." They apologize, that's the end of it, and we clink glasses in an unspoken agreement that doesn't happen around me again. Someone actually learned a little lesson and just might be better for it, without their life being ruined, and their rights infringed upon. And I've had my share of offsides in relation to other cultures. And learned a valuable lesson without losing it all as well.

Will some feelings get hurt? Sure. But Western Societies biggest handicap in my opinion, and what has weakened it more than anything, is how we have absolutely lost the ability to accept criticism or dust off insults and we are trying to control free thought and free speech as a result. We once had skin as thick as an alligator and had the ability to be offended without a tribunal. Now, you can't even point out factual data if it in anyway singles out a marginalized group or individual.

I would rather know who the lunatics are and allow them to out themselves to be judged by society, than be forced to crawl off into these dark little corners and spew their crap amongst like minded individuals, that won't put them in their place or correct them. People aren't dumb. The majority of people are reasonable. And will call BS for what it is. For the 10% that lie on the extreme ends of the spectrum... both sides, no amount of censorship, rationalization or laws will stop them from guzzling their Kool-Aid flavor of choice by the gallon. At least we get to see who's lining up at the Kool-aid bong. Even better, once in a blue moon, you can talk a little sense into these people should you be patient enough.

The pendulum almost always swings back, and by almost all indications, there seems to be an appetite for it to swing back to a little more of a non-politically correct environment, as opposed to this hyper-correct cancel culture we've been living in the last decade or so. You are seeing it on both sides of the spectrum, and it's why you are likely seeing a red wave coming in the mid terms. I am seeing people around me that have always been planted on the deep left, even saying it's gone too far. Something I never thought I'd see.

We have to allow people to have an opposing view. Ugly or not. There need to be a Ying to every Yang. If you attempt to control and censor speech based on only the agenda of one side, you've cracked open the door just enough for it to be kicked off the hinges, and now you have your text messages monitored. Phone calls monitored by AI. Speech against the Government becomes a Jailable offense..... I would rather put up with a few morons spewing racist hate, and election lies, than have my speech and ultimately my thoughts censored or controlled by any entity, be it a social media platform, or the Government. And it is happening elsewhere in the world. You have social media platforms that are doubling as cat meme generators, and government speech control operatives.

Musk is a but of an eccentric weirdo. But he is a generally logical weirdo. And I believe in a year or two, Twitter will be better off and a lot more balanced.
No one thinks Musk is the big bad wolf, we think he's a moron
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #876
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol yes, Jordan Peterson, great Trans ally. He just loves Trans folks. He really respects folks.

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 11-07-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #877
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think a good example is Jordan Peterson. Say what you want about the guy, but he's made it clear his issue with C16 never had anything to do with the Trans community, it was with compelled speech component. They didn't exactly 'cancel' him per se, as he has quite the audience and wealth now. But he was driven from his chosen profession as a result of his opinion and holding his ground on an issue.
Except there never was a compelled speech component of C16, and almost every legal opinion and the opinion of constitutional scholars made it very clear he was talking firmly out of his ass. Also he didn't get driven away from his chosen profession. He voluntarily left because the right-wing griftosphere is infinitely more lucrative than a tenured professor gig.

The dude has also since then doubled-down on some of the most transphobic #### you can say/do (e.g. dead-naming Elliot Page).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #878
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and no...LOL.

I don't believe anyone should be told what they can and cannot say. Nobody shouldn't be censored in the first place. Obviously there are limitations. Trump incited a riot, and we all know it. He should be held accountable. He and his minions yelled fire in a crowded theater essentially. If you say something so stupid and offensive you dig your own grave, so be it. As Kanye did. That's good cancel culture.

My issue is with how far cancel culture went. I do disagree with people having their lives ruined because they simply don't agree with something. Have a different or opposing view. Or have a moment of weakness and say one stupid sentence in their life's journey. But once the SJW mob decides your time is up.... you don't have a chance.

For someone who hates Cancel Culture so much, you have no clear idea what it is or isn't.

Please define it so we can understand what you actually think it is.

Jordan Peterson's stupid Facebook ads and face still pop up in all social media no matter my consistent reporting of his stupidity.

What, exactly, has been cancelled about him?
Old 11-07-2022, 01:45 PM   #879
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

If you want unlimited freespeech, spend a day or two on the chans (or 8kun if it was still running).

Unmoderated freespeech has fostered mass-killers, Qanon and some of the most vile #### ever created.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #880
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weird thing about these twats going on about how terrible cancel culture is they don't seem to realize that the whole point of being able to express transphobia and anti gay and minority comments, jokes and ideas is that they cancel whole swathes of the population from living their lives, I look after 2 openly gay kids who go to high school and live their lives with out fear now, that couldn't have happened a decade ago, they would have had the crap beaten out of them daily.

Taking shots at LBGTQ and minorities is the ultimate form of cancel culture, Peterson isnt about to be beaten to death by Trans activists where as the world that scumbag seems to want to return too killed kids like my boys, **** him.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote