Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2022, 02:05 PM   #181
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Except Twitter is a private company and only subject to its own ToS. They provide a platform for speech, but they are not bound by free speech laws anymore than any other business is.
Exactly. So why are people whining so much that Musk is buying the company and implementing his vision. It is the ultimate hypocrisy. For what it's worth Jack says Elon is the only person he trusts to manage Twitter going forward.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #182
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Exactly. So why are people whining so much that Musk is buying the company and implementing his vision. It is the ultimate hypocrisy. For what it's worth Jack says Elon is the only person he trusts to manage Twitter going forward.
There is no hypocrisy. There's no argument on whether he is or isn't allowed to do what he wants. It's the changes people think he will make that are not agreed with. Yes there are some people up in arms saying "omg he can't do this, how dare he", but the majority accept that he can, doesn't mean they have to accept what he does.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #183
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
There is no hypocrisy. There's no argument on whether he is or isn't allowed to do what he wants. It's the changes people think he will make that are not agreed with. Yes there are some people up in arms saying "omg he can't do this, how dare he", but the majority accept that he can, doesn't mean they have to accept what he does.
You sure? The response I'm seeing is general hysterics.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #184
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's your boy!

And Jack Dorsey is the one who was in charge while all of these things that the free speech defenders complain about. Rather curious that those folks go after Twitter but somehow Jack is their pal.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:16 PM   #185
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not whining about Musk buying the company. I just think this will be typical Musk nonsense, where he overpromises and under-delivers.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:18 PM   #186
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not whining about Musk buying the company. I just think this will be typical Musk nonsense, where he overpromises and under-delivers.
Every Tesla will be a robo taxi, any day now...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #187
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
You sure? The response I'm seeing is general hysterics.
Only if you take concern as that.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #188
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If I buy Musk's Self-Posting Twitter AI feature within 2 years it will have me earning lots of $$ by turning my Twitter account into a powerful influencer. Only a few years away!
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #189
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Expecting humans to not drift to extremes is expecting humans to not be human.

Easy to say for an alien.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #190
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Perfect opportunity for someone to remake the old Twitter app with a new name, where all things politics can fly.

People would just flock there. Good luck Elon.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:29 PM   #191
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm just expecting Twitter to look more like Parler or any other right-wing micromessaging app.

At the end of the day, Twitter will allow more right-wing content that veers into hate content, Republicans will rejoice over free speech, the far left will be pissed off, is suffering a slew of bad news at the moment, and will be no better off than it was before.

Bonus mention of the platform going from market-based public ownership to a private fun tool for an eccentric ass goblin and thinking this is a win for online free speech.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #192
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah free speech nowadays is just code for I want to slip hate speak and bigotry into my posts and not be shut down for being a terrible human being.

If you have to argue for free speech that means something in your mindset doesn't align with what's acceptable in this day and age.

Opening up to the gates to that stuff again is not a win.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #193
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Setting aside Musk’s politics and public behaviour, anyone who thinks suppressing misinformation on social media is straightforward is delusional. It’s an incredibly difficult problem.

Scientific progress relies on unrelenting criticism of the status quo. And in fields like psychology that already suffer from a replication crisis (most of the classic studies taught for decades have been discredited), there’s almost no such thing as firmly established consensus. But there are institutions that have an interest in suppressing dissent, and which can make plausible arguments that dissenting theories inflict harm.

https://erikhoel.substack.com/p/elon...the-crisis?s=w
I don't think anyone is advocating for the suppression of information that could be credible. I think what people are against is misinformation that comes from selective quoting, removing context, etc., and isn't backed up with any compelling evidence. And we should be moving to discredit those types of misinformation.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:45 PM   #194
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Twitter becomes more of a free-for-all like Parlour (and to be honest, I have no idea what Parlour looks like), Twitter will become Parlour. That is, a tiny unprofitable pimple on the ass of social media. Definitely not worth $44B.

Further, on the issue of free speech and regulating it the same as the laws in the country in which it operates, that sounds great but in practice doesn't make much sense. It isn't illegal (in the US) to deny the holocaust or to champion the use of invermectin or whatever. So what is the level of moderation exactly? Everything goes up to the point of provable harm against an individual? I mean Trump was removed for violating the terms of service by basically inciting an insurrection. Should that be allowable? Twitter may have done a terrible job in the past, but I don't know what exactly they should have done differently in that example, which seems to be the point of reference for Musk as to what is wrong with Twitter.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #195
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While that's true for consumers he does have a talent for delivering for shareholders. I don't know if he he can repeat this with twitter but if anyone can it's probably him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #196
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
While that's true for consumers he does have a talent for delivering for shareholders. I don't know if he he can repeat this with twitter but if anyone can it's probably him.
In this case, he did deliver to shareholders. $54.20/share. I wouldn't bet against him either, but it is hard to see how he is going to make money on this beast.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #197
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Except Twitter is a private company and only subject to its own ToS. They provide a platform for speech, but they are not bound by free speech laws anymore than any other business is.
That is true, and also why Musk feels that if there is clear direction on what is allowed to be posted, the platform will get better and will draw people from all sides of the spectrum.

You do realize the idea here is to increase users & increase the traffic? That is why he is trying to play it on both sides that there has to be a clear mandate on what is allowed.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #198
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I think we are at the point that people who bet against Musk's companies are coming out on the loosing side DESPITE the fact that he overpromises on lots of things.

But hey, keep on keeping on. Your silly ranting here is quite amusing to read.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:33 PM   #199
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You do realize the idea here is to increase users & increase the traffic? That is why he is trying to play it on both sides that there has to be a clear mandate on what is allowed.
Is "not enough people are on twitter" really a problem?
Old 04-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #200
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I think we are at the point that people who bet against Musk's companies are coming out on the loosing side DESPITE the fact that he overpromises on lots of things.

But hey, keep on keeping on. Your silly ranting here is quite amusing to read.
Just because his groupies continue to shell out money for his plethora of grifts, doesn't mean they still aren't grifts.

I totally agree that he'll probably be successful though.