Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #8201
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Haha. The only place their posts are likely to sink is to the bottom of a toilet bowl.
That's true, but how do we think people like this accept this ridiculous information as fact? No one challenges it in their information circles and they accept it as truth. Even steering one mind away from these sources is worth the investment in time.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #8202
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Thats the most generous time off policy I have seen in my life. I've actually never been at a place that uses a PTO bank though my wife has in healthcare. In my workplaces its been common to start at 2 weeks vacation and then after time or if you are management get up to 15 or 20 days. At my current job I have been here 5 years and am a director so I get 22 or 23 days off. Sick usually varies but is between 10 and 20 days a year. So your 32 days PTO is definitely on the senior end of what I have seen. My wife works in a rehab hospital and they get around 10 hours PTO per check so roughly 260 hours a year, but that also includes their holidays as they are open 365 days a year.
Where I currently work in the US, I have unlimited paid time off though I'm not allowed to take more than two weeks at a time unless I get special permission from my boss and that's a company wide policy.

The funny thing, though, is I take less vacation than I did at my last job in Canada where I had 6 weeks vacation plus time in lieu for working weekends and holidays (and was forced to use it all every year).
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #8203
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s why I never put interesting trolls on my ignore list.

If it makes you feel better, remember:
- you’re probably on his ignore list and he’s not checking out your posts
- he’s never posted anything beyond links to articles/tweets and brief RW clichés. It’s not even a train wreck, it’s just the dumb stuff you can find from 1000s of other generic RW accounts on Twitter or in comment sections. You’re literally missing nothing of substance or even cheap entertainment value

Highly recommended function for this scenario, imo
I feel like his account was hacked (or he's been radicalized) because if you look into his post history he used to post in forums like the ticket exchange or take part in Survivor pools, etc. But since about the start of November it's just a constant tap of right wing propaganda.

You'd think that it would be detrimental to someone who posted so regularly in Ticket Exchange to have half the board on their ignore list.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #8204
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
That's true, but how do we think people like this accept this ridiculous information as fact? No one challenges it in their information circles and they accept it as truth. Even steering one mind away from these sources is worth the investment in time.
I simply believe this particular battle isn't worth fighting. I think the poster in question has likely made all the revelations they're going to make. There's no semblance of dialogue so I don't see the point.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #8205
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
No kidding. A basketball player for an arms dealer?
Not always a fan of appeals to authority but in case of prisoner exchanges between two nuclear super powers - I fall into that camp. Its not a hockey trade where you're trying to figure out what side got more value.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #8206
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Not always a fan of appeals to authority but in case of prisoner exchanges between two nuclear super powers - I fall into that camp. Its not a hockey trade where you're trying to figure out what side got more value.
Tough when the rule she admitted to breaking has also landed countless individuals in prison in the US itself
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #8207
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume, but not sure, that Griner was detained and arrested because she was relatively famous and as a pawn in the Ukraine conflict. If she was just treated as any other American with a small amount of cannabis oil in Russia, then yeah this was a big overstep. But if it is the former, she is basically a political prisoner and this uneven swap makes a bit more sense.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #8208
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Tough when the rule she admitted to breaking has also landed countless individuals in prison in the US itself
That's a good point too. You'd like to think that there isn't anyone in prison here for a decade for a small amount of pot, but I'm sure there are examples. Biden seems to be doing what he an to get those people out of prison too though, but the states have to play along.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #8209
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should be accustomed to this sort of bigotry (not a strong enough word) but I'm still shocked every time I read something like this said today, not 100 years ago.

Regarding the same sex marriage vote today
Quote:
Some Republicans that opposed the measure did so with conviction. Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.), her voice breaking with tears, condemned the marriage bill from the floor.

“Protect religious liberty, protect people of faith and protect Americans who believe in the true meaning of marriage,” Hartzler, who lost her bid for Missouri’s Senate seat this year, said. “I hope and pray that my colleagues will find the courage to join me in opposing this misguided and dangerous bill.”
Go #### yourself, Vicky

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...tions-00073027
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #8210
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Where I currently work in the US, I have unlimited paid time off though I'm not allowed to take more than two weeks at a time unless I get special permission from my boss and that's a company wide policy.

The funny thing, though, is I take less vacation than I did at my last job in Canada where I had 6 weeks vacation plus time in lieu for working weekends and holidays (and was forced to use it all every year).
We have friends in the States that say it's frowned upon to use all of your vacation. Like, if you get 3 weeks paid time off, you better take no more than 2 weeks. You would be seen as not committed to your job and risk dismissal. Some sort of unwritten rule BS.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #8211
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I should be accustomed to this sort of bigotry (not a strong enough word) but I'm still shocked every time I read something like this said today, not 100 years ago.

Regarding the same sex marriage vote today

Go #### yourself, Vicky

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...tions-00073027
I'm sorry,

How the F*** does allowing people to marry affect your religious beliefs in any way, shape, or form?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #8212
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
We have friends in the States that say it's frowned upon to use all of your vacation. Like, if you get 3 weeks paid time off, you better take no more than 2 weeks. You would be seen as not committed to your job and risk dismissal. Some sort of unwritten rule BS.
That's going to depend a lot on the culture. From top down, we encourage everyone to take it and will reach out to employees if their balance is still high mid year.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #8213
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm sorry,

How the F*** does allowing people to marry affect your religious beliefs in any way, shape, or form?
I know, how delicate and scared is your God that men marrying men is an issue.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #8214
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I know, how delicate and scared is your God that men marrying men is an issue.
Have you read the Old Testament? According to the official record He is one terrified, paranoid, vindictive, petty prick.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #8215
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah if you don't do enough to stop other men from marrying you may end up turned into a pillar of salt!
Old 12-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #8216
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That prisoner swap deal is weird considering that Paul Whelan will continue to rot in Russia, and the American's released Victor Bout, a international arms dealer known as a sanctions buster who's also an expert on laundering and moving money.

Why are the Russians so eager to get Bout back? What's his effect on the war in the Ukraine and the rumors of Russian ammunition shortages and weapons shortages.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #8217
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm sorry,

Well, seeing as the entire purpose is to control people…
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #8218
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Well, seeing as the entire purpose is to control people…
I don't know who you are, what you do, where you're from, or why you would matter to me at all, but you better believe I ####ing care what you do in your bedroom, I have a vested interest in your crotch! SINNER
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #8219
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That prisoner swap deal is weird considering that Paul Whelan will continue to rot in Russia, and the American's released Victor Bout, a international arms dealer known as a sanctions buster who's also an expert on laundering and moving money.

Why are the Russians so eager to get Bout back? What's his effect on the war in the Ukraine and the rumors of Russian ammunition shortages and weapons shortages.
What's Whelan's story? He was on CTV News earlier remotely but I was working and TV was on mute.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #8220
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He's a former marine and security consultant who was arrested on charges (phony) of espionage and has been rotting for 4 years.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote