Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #7101
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589708360076922880
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #7102
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

First time ever boos are heard at a championship parade?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589709862673391617
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #7103
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Jinx! Your video is way better!
Old 11-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #7104
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a pretty good pitch with a beer can!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #7105
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Why in the hell is he even in the parade?

Owners ask him?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #7106
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
The intermixing of red and blue would make a traditional civil war impossible, and yes I think a lot of the poseurs are ultimately all talk and no action.

What happens though if/when a presidential election is clearly stolen by states ignoring vote results on patently flimsy pretexts? And let’s say the Supreme Court has confirmed that legislatures have the ultimate say on how elections are executed. Are the blue people just going to roll over and accept this?

If there is no recourse, revolt is still an option. Maybe not against neighbours, but against state capitals and institutions? Defended by other people, who may actually be neighbours. So do you end up in a civil war anyway?
I can't see the left revolting. Just can't see it.
They just reversed abortion and what happened? It something you'd think they'd be storming the Bastille over.

What happened? A few demonstrations and they're not going to even come out to vote tomorrow. When polled, abortion rights is like the 8th most important issue. The state of the democracy is even lower.

Even if it was a full-blown Trump dictatorship, as long as taxes, grocceries and gas prices are low, everything is a-okay to the average American.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #7107
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I can't see the left revolting. Just can't see it.
They just reversed abortion and what happened? It something you'd think they'd be storming the Bastille over.

What happened? A few demonstrations and they're not going to even come out to vote tomorrow. When polled, abortion rights is like the 8th most important issue. The state of the democracy is even lower.

Even if it was a full-blown Trump dictatorship, as long as taxes, grocceries and gas prices are low, everything is a-okay to the average American.
The left isn't really a sizeable faction in U.S. politics. They'd be crushed and jailed immediately if they pulled something even remotely resembling Jan. 6th.

If you're referring to liberals, well they're still under the belief that the U.S.' democratic institutions are strong enough to resist a fascist takeover (they're not), and/or that civil discourse will inevitably win the day (it won't).
Old 11-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #7108
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That was a pretty good pitch with a beer can!
Baseball fan, right?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #7109
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If you're referring to liberals, well they're still under the belief that the U.S.' democratic institutions are strong enough to resist a fascist takeover (they're not), and/or that civil discourse will inevitably win the day (it won't).
I'm kind of torn here because if we're being fair, the Trump years were absolutely a massive test to those democratic institutions and the country did, in fact, survive despite him and his cronies doing everything possible to undermine them. So they maybe do deserve a little credit for resilience.

But I'm also a pessimist and am tempted to say "yeah but the cracks that all caused aren't going to get repaired so it's more just a case of a delayed collapse".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:36 PM   #7110
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm kind of torn here because if we're being fair, the Trump years were absolutely a massive test to those democratic institutions and the country did, in fact, survive despite him and his cronies doing everything possible to undermine them. So they maybe do deserve a little credit for resilience.

But I'm also a pessimist and am tempted to say "yeah but the cracks that all caused aren't going to get repaired so it's more just a case of a delayed collapse".
Democratic institutions only have strength when they have legitimacy, and we're seeing pretty much all of that legitimacy being destroyed in real time.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #7111
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, but the Republicans have spent 2 years grinding away at the safeguards that by the slimmest of margins saved their democracy.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #7112
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The pessimist in you is likely correct. Last time there were sane people at the state level who certified their election results and, in states were Biden won, correctly sent electors to Washington to elect Joe Biden. This time around there may be states controlled by election-denying Trump loyalists who will simply ignore the results and send electors to vote for Trump anyhow.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #7113
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

U.S. democracy has always been tedious at best. From lack of civil rights until modern times, gerrymandering, voter intimidation, restrictive voting laws that target minorities and the economic underclass, and hyper-lobbyism. Not to mention, how many healthy democracies have had 6 elected presidents shot (4 killed), and two that officially died of natural causes but may have actually been poisoned. Not to mention how every past president typically has several assassination plots foiled.

Things seem bad now, I won't deny that, but it has always been a weak democracy.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-07-2022 at 05:33 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:31 PM   #7114
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the US has never stood for democratic rights as much as it has stood for the rights of private capital. That's the real heart of the American ethos.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #7115
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yeah, the US has never stood for democratic rights as much as it has stood for the rights of private capital. That's the real heart of the American ethos.
Right and if capital is flowing all is fine even for liberals. Remember Reagan Democrats?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #7116
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Trump destroyed America.
Conservative talk radio was the main culprit in my mind, then FOX, then Twitter and Facebook. Evangelicals. Dark money. Then, Trump.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #7117
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Right and if capital is flowing all is fine even for liberals. Remember Reagan Democrats?
The Democrats are a right of center party relative to the rest of the world, so that isn't a surprise. There are some left elements of course, but as a whole, the party is just as focused on private capital as the Republicans. The left elements only exist in the Democratic party because it's a two-party system and there is no where else to go and the mainstream Dems accept them because they need the numbers.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:10 PM   #7118
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #7119
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speculation that Trump is moving up his announcement of his 2024 run up to tomorrow now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589818145945972736
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 05:05 AM   #7120
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Um, that says next Tuesday, not today.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote