Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #1881
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't like the whole 'who on the left, or who on the right' because certain people instantly get dismissed because they get labeled.

I've been listening and reading more and more of Matt Taibbi lately, and I personally could care less how he leans politically. He has a unique way of looking at everything.

Things like the FinCen files, or the latest Russiagate reporting. The crickets from the mainstream media are pretty telling.
The new landing spot these days seems to be the Megyn Kelly podcast. Matt Taibbi was on today for lots of media and cancel culture discussion.

https://www.devilmaycaremedia.com/megynkellyshow

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #1882
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
“Pretty gross”? You realize this is entertainment, right? Alex is a riot, and his most popular guest and long time friend.
Alex is a piece of garbage who spreads dangerous misinformation. Giving him a platform like Rogan does, while totally within his rights, is irresponsible.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #1883
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
“Pretty gross”? You realize this is entertainment, right? Alex is a riot, and his most popular guest and long time friend.
I’ve been asking myself what opposing political belief I’d end a friendship over. And whether it’s guns, abortion, taxes, the environment, the answer has always come back “nothing”.

If a friend famously harassed parents whose six year old children were murdered at school a month before Christmas, I’d stop being friends with that person.

If you wouldn’t stop being friends with someone who does that, I think that makes you a bad guy.

And if you bring the guy who harasses the parents of murdered children specifically so you can thumb your nose at some employees of a company that gave you $100M, maybe you’re not the people’s champion you purport to be.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #1884
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I’ve been asking myself what opposing political belief I’d end a friendship over. And whether it’s guns, abortion, taxes, the environment, the answer has always come back “nothing”.
I think it depends how close the friendship is. I just recently decided to stop interacting with someone because they wouldn't shut the #### up about Hunter Biden. But that wasn't a close friendship.
Quote:
If a friend famously harassed parents whose six year old children were murdered at school a month before Christmas, I’d stop being friends with that person.
Yep that'd do it.

I actually do believe Jones when he says that these actions are the product of mental illness, but I don't even know if he himself believes it, or if he privately considers it a helpful excuse to try to get out of paying damages to his victims. He's so completely awful a character that I can't rule anything out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #1885
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I think a lot of what Greenwald has to say about the current state of the mainstream media and how they've covered this election is pretty accurate. That said, he's also clearly gone right off the deep end.

I much prefer Grim and Taibbi to him at this point if we're talking about pure journalism.
both The Intercept and Greenwald tend to be bad actors. I still haven't gotten a good answer as to why Snowden randomly picked Greenwald back in the day.

I don't trust Greenwald after the way treated Sam Harris for years - basically lying.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #1886
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
both The Intercept and Greenwald tend to be bad actors. I still haven't gotten a good answer as to why Snowden randomly picked Greenwald back in the day.
Because Greenwald has some blind spots that could be leveraged. Greenwald has a soft spot for government conspiracy. He also has a blind spot for personal freedom and liberties. Lastly, he has a massive blind spot towards Russia. Made him the perfect mark for Snowden and exposing state secrets.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #1887
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I found this podcast a good listen. Charles C.W. Cooke and Kevin D. Williamson, Republicans from the National Review, trash Trump and have some suggestions for Biden.

https://www.nationalreview.com/podca...gs-englishmen/

Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #1888
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1348628246435401728

IDW True Believers apparently aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #1889
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark Levin, Ben Shapiro and Dan Bongino... truly the dark web of intellectuals. Suggesting any of these clowns are intellectuals or represent positions where intellectual thought is part of the discussion is a clear indictment of your intellect, or lack thereof. If you think they offer anything of value to public discourse... you may be a red neck.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #1890
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Mark Levin, Ben Shapiro and Dan Bongino... truly the dark web of intellectuals. Suggesting any of these clowns are intellectuals or represent positions where intellectual thought is part of the discussion is a clear indictment of your intellect, or lack thereof. If you think they offer anything of value to public discourse... you may be a red neck.
Levin and Bongino especially are raving lunatics. Shapiro is just a clown.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #1891
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Douglas Murray.
Douglas Murray was on the Megyn Kelly Show, for two hours.

https://megaphone.link/MKA9930643472

Old 04-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #1892
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So dark. Much intellect.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1382377922028314628

And, of course whenever Ben talks about climate change, this always needs to be posted with it.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #1893
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Cliff's original post in this thread is absolutely hilarious in hindsight.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #1894
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Also, Cliff's original post in this thread is absolutely hilarious in hindsight.
They usually are even without the passage of time and the advantage of hindsight.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #1895
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
They usually are even without the passage of time and the advantage of hindsight.
I don't see how. I mean I see exactly how the two of you, in particular, would think so - it's not even remotely surprising - but I just re-read it and it remains an accurate depiction of Jordan Peterson's cultural relevance at the time (whatever you might have thought of his politics then or now), and a still-relevant comment about Canadian media and its approach to public figures who aren't ideologically palatable.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some pretty bad takes in this thread but the first post doesn't stand out as one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #1896
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If you say so.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #1897
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is getting childish. Just put me on ignore.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #1898
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't see how. I mean I see exactly how the two of you, in particular, would think so - it's not even remotely surprising - but I just re-read it and it remains an accurate depiction of Jordan Peterson's cultural relevance at the time (whatever you might have thought of his politics then or now), and a still-relevant comment about Canadian media and its approach to public figures who aren't ideologically palatable.
How is/was Peterson anymore influential or culturally significant than any other flavour of the day self-help guru or conservative "intellectual?"
Old 04-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #1899
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This is getting childish. Just put me on ignore.

Too busy listening to uniquely misogynistic hip hop, sorry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #1900
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is/was Peterson anymore influential or culturally significant than any other flavour of the day self-help guru or conservative "intellectual?"
I literally can't think of another one, so... that's probably your answer. The guy was legitimately a big deal for a year or two. But I'm still not sure what your point was. That if he didn't remain culturally relevant forever, the commentary in the initial post is somehow rendered wrong in retrospect? Not making much sense.

I actually don't know what even happened to him, if it was just a matter of people just no longer paying attention to him or something else. I vaguely recall he had some sort of health issue at one point... I assume he didn't die, because I feel like I'd have heard about that.