Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #2181
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

He wrote a follow up tweet clarifying that he had read or re-read (multiple times) some of the titles listed, but there’s almost no way that is true based on the list and his original tweet.

If someone had already read the Little Prince, giving yourself a week to read it and filming a video of “takeaways” would be absurd. Same with Brothers Karamazov, but for completely opposite reasons.

My guess would be that he hasn’t read any of those books.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2023, 06:51 PM   #2182
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
He wrote a follow up tweet clarifying that he had read or re-read (multiple times) some of the titles listed, but there’s almost no way that is true based on the list and his original tweet.

If someone had already read the Little Prince, giving yourself a week to read it and filming a video of “takeaways” would be absurd. Same with Brothers Karamazov, but for completely opposite reasons.

My guess would be that he hasn’t read any of those books.
I dont know how one would go through life in an Academic career and not have read any of those, you'd have to have read some of them even just by accident.

Hell...even I've read over half of the ones just on the screenshot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #2183
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'm kinda wondering how Lex Fridman could have gotten to this point without reading any of those already! Unless he's re-reading I guess.

I've tried to listen to Fridman's podcast a few times and I've never really liked it (maybe because he spent too much time talking). Is he basically just a science communicator? I generally avoid those podcasts since they don't go deep enough.
He's not the best orator and it tends to make his podcasts hard to follow, but he does have interesting people (founder of Python as an example) on there, and it makes for some interesting listens.

But hilarious watching the digs at him. How DARE he post his reading list.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:35 AM   #2184
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
He's not the best orator and it tends to make his podcasts hard to follow, but he does have interesting people (founder of Python as an example) on there, and it makes for some interesting listens.

But hilarious watching the digs at him. How DARE he post his reading list.
No one has taken issue with the act of him posting a reading list. Why make that up?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #2185
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Like it or not, Tate is a thought leader to great number of people in the intellectual dark web. He does espouse many of the same narratives that guys like Peterson have promoted but does so with a level of bravado and douchiness that is accessible without the pop-psychology psychobabble.
It's sad to see both Peterson and Tate having found such large audiences, because of what it says about the emotional state of such a large number of young men. Peterson is not nearly as awful as Tate, but them having both found such a large market for their ideas is a cultural red flag.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:35 PM   #2186
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
It's sad to see both Peterson and Tate having found such large audiences, because of what it says about the emotional state of such a large number of young men. Peterson is not nearly as awful as Tate, but them having both found such a large market for their ideas is a cultural red flag.
Agreed. But what is most troubling is these people with very marginal views have a massive platform that helps spread their ideas and turn confused young men in the wrong direction. We should not be granting these extreme ideas that radicalize, we should instead be helping these people find ways to adapt to society and toward acceptable norms. The toxic masculinity they espouse is just that, toxic. We (society) need to help these young men find their place and confidence.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:36 PM   #2187
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just another day of casual anti-Semitism on the JRE.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/joe...202543294.html

Quote:
“She’s apologizing for talking about ‘It’s all about the Benjamins,’ which is just about money—she’s talking about money,” he stated. “That’s not an antisemitic statement, I don’t think that is. Benjamins are money.”

Rogan continued: “The idea that Jewish people aren’t into money is ridiculous. That’s like saying Italians aren’t into pizza. That’s ####ing stupid.”
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:48 PM   #2188
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know how one would go through life in an Academic career and not have read any of those, you'd have to have read some of them even just by accident.

Hell...even I've read over half of the ones just on the screenshot.
He has a PhD in electrical and computer engineering. Not exactly a discipline known for being well rounded.

I watch his YouTube videos occasionally. They are mostly entertaining for the sheer awkwardness of them. His strength is disarming his guests with his awkwardly direct approach.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #2189
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Just another day of casual anti-Semitism on the JRE.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/joe...202543294.html
Sorry can you break it down for me? I didn’t bother clicking on the link but how is what he said there anti-semitic?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:16 AM   #2190
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sorry can you break it down for me? I didn’t bother clicking on the link but how is what he said there anti-semitic?
Well it's fairly simple, he implies that love of money is a Jewish trait in the same way that pizza is Italian, if he had said 'Jewish people like money just like everybody else' I'd give him a pass but saying 'Italians = pizza, Germans = beer, Jews = money' is a pretty despicable racist trope, it is racist incidentally to suggest Italians like pizza and Germans like beer but no one is going to kill 6 million Italians because they think Italians like pizza.

If he apologised and clarified that what he meant to say was like everybody else Jewish people like money I could be convinced that it was an ill considered comment, but on face value it is a hideous thing to say

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 02-08-2023 at 01:19 AM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 03:48 AM   #2191
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Rogan is really on a bad run here. He clearly has tendencies towards stereotyping and racism. That was pretty obvious when he made those comments about black people having different minds a few years ago. He stated that a mixed race child could be superior and get the body of a black man and mind of a white man.

Rogan’s increasingly surrounded by an alt right audience. It can't help things when his view count is determined by how much he panders to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
HHW
Old 02-08-2023, 07:43 AM   #2192
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Well it's fairly simple, he implies that love of money is a Jewish trait in the same way that pizza is Italian, if he had said 'Jewish people like money just like everybody else' I'd give him a pass but saying 'Italians = pizza, Germans = beer, Jews = money' is a pretty despicable racist trope, it is racist incidentally to suggest Italians like pizza and Germans like beer but no one is going to kill 6 million Italians because they think Italians like pizza.

If he apologised and clarified that what he meant to say was like everybody else Jewish people like money I could be convinced that it was an ill considered comment, but on face value it is a hideous thing to say
Was the statement that "Jewish people like money" delivered in the context / in relation to the holocaust?

I am not seeing that in the quote but perhaps digging deeper it is. Otherwise sounds like you made that part up. And no, saying Italians like pizza and Germans like beer and Jewish people like money is not racist on its face.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:19 AM   #2193
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Was the statement that "Jewish people like money" delivered in the context / in relation to the holocaust?

I am not seeing that in the quote but perhaps digging deeper it is. Otherwise sounds like you made that part up. And no, saying Italians like pizza and Germans like beer and Jewish people like money is not racist on its face.
I’m not sure why it needs to have anything to do with the holocaust. “Jews and money” is a fairly well-established antisemitic trope.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 08:22 AM   #2194
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

How do you not see specifically signalling out ethnic groups as not racist? And you don't have to mention the Holocaust to know that negative stereotypes about Jews have led to their persecution.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:24 AM   #2195
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
How do you not see specifically signalling out ethnic groups as not racist? And you don't have to mention the Holocaust to know that negative stereotypes about Jews have led to their persecution.
I think it depends on the context. A generalization of a group is not automatically de facto racist. Lots of groups inherent qualities, or are known for certain things broadly speaking but these generalizations don't just mean they are racist or even inherently negative qualities. Stereotypes happen, and can be true in some cases, can they not?
Old 02-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #2196
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I think it depends on the context. A generalization of a group is not automatically de facto racist. Lots of groups inherent qualities, or are known for certain things broadly speaking but these generalizations don't just mean they are racist or even inherently negative qualities.
A generalization applied across all individuals is intervention racist. Some generalizations are more damaging than others.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:39 AM   #2197
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A generalization applied across all individuals is intervention racist. Some generalizations are more damaging than others.
Ah, here is where we might disagree. Based on this definition of racism, from Merriam-Webster:

"
a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

1) "Fundamental determinant". This is why the context of the statement matters the most. If the meaning of Jews liking money was literally brought about as the fundamental determining factor of Jewish people (don't think it was by Rogan and/or not in that context), then you may have a point. It was more of a broad stereotyping comment but not given in the form of denigrating them?

2) "that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race". So what do you believe Joe Rogan saying here; that non-Jews are superior to Jews because Jews like money? Or that Jews are superior to non-Jews because they like money? In my view he's not really commenting on the superiority of Jews at all, he's just making a stereotype. I will definitely admit that this can get a bit murky and again which is why the context matters because if you deliver a statement that a given stereotype is negative / denigrating it can be implied / inferred that you are referring to your own race as superior based on whatever stereotype it is. However in this context, I don't think so.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #2198
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Glad we’re getting in some good gaslighting about what racism and antisemitism is before 9 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:54 AM   #2199
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Glad we’re getting in some good gaslighting about what racism and antisemitism is before 9 AM.
Everyone and everything is racist
Old 02-08-2023, 08:56 AM   #2200
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsiz(ə)m/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: racism
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
"a program to combat racism"

the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.
"theories of racism"

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nyti...ondon.amp.html

A little bit of education goes a long way in this instance, as it’s not hard to find nazi propaganda that associated jewish people with money, greed, and financial control.

Denying this is stupid.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 02-08-2023 at 09:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: