Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #2061
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
This article from a few weeks ago values Twitter at $20.2 billion:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ople-world.asp
Unrelated, but that article looks like it was assembled by AI.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #2062
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm curious what the value of Twitter is now. He paid $44 billion at $54.20 a share, but everyone knows that was a big spread on what it was worth, which was probably around $30 a share when he bought it. So at $30, that's about $24 billion. His antics would have driven any publicly traded company down by, what, half? So now it's maybe $12 billion? I'd be curious to see a professional's opinion on what it is worth now.
I'll give him $4 billion for it and not a penny more.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #2063
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol @ shutting down the whole Twitter Spaces product because whomever knew how to ban someone from Twitter Spaces was fired.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #2064
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
For those of you looking for an alternative, Mastadon is good, but the creator of Bot Sentinel - one of the best machine learning platforms out there for finding and categorizing hate and misinformation content on Twitter - is creating a new platform called Spoutible.

I use Bot Sentinel to flag Twitter accounts that are disruptive and downright hateful. It is very good at letting you visually filter through crappy bots, trolls, and compromised accounts that are looking to give dialogue a bad time.

There might be a few imitators and alternatives coming down the pipeline, but Chris Bouzy is a fantastic tech entrepreneur with a good head on his shoulders and actually has morals. I would suggest at least trying the beta version coming soon and giving it a whirl for yourself when its ready.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603663275471798273
See I've signed up for this, another beat (I think that is a Jack Dorsey project) and then Post. I haven't signed up for Mastodon, purely because it just seems so tedious.

As a consumer, I just want "old" Twitter back. It's simple, it's easy and you can just find people and follow them. Can someone just make that happen and make this easy?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #2065
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

not even close, its a platform that at best, if run by an adult, might make a a couple of billion a year but is time limited like all social media, Twitter doesnt really exist for the under 30's so as they age the platform has a built in lifespan, at best 20 to 30 years although more likely 15 to 20 as a profitable platform, that gives you a lifespans profit of 20 billion tops, out of that you have to factor in the cost of borrowing and the random bad years, 10 billion is the most a sensible business would value it at
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #2066
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
As a consumer, I just want "old" Twitter back. It's simple, it's easy and you can just find people and follow them. Can someone just make that happen and make this easy?
Which old twitter do you want? The one where you manually type "RT" to retweet something? The one where "favorite" was the only option before likes or bookmarks? The one where images and videos were links (like t.co) that had to be added in a tweet, taking up a lot of your 120 characters? For that matter, do you want it back to 120 characters?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #2067
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Possible but likely overstated.

Meta is down 65% YTD
Snap is down 82% YTD

Twitter was purchased for $44m - 35% of that (META value) - would be $15.4m. 18% would be ~7.9m.

Meta has it metaverse nonsense going on but is a first tier advertising platform. Snap has a different audience but a similar tier advertising platform minus the twitter controversies.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #2068
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
See I've signed up for this, another beat (I think that is a Jack Dorsey project) and then Post. I haven't signed up for Mastodon, purely because it just seems so tedious.

I agree. There's also another one coming called "Spill" from former Twitter executives with a focus on delivering a Twitter-like experience that borrows from Mastadon ("Spills" like "Toots") and provides community for black, LGBTQ, and other minorities.

I think there's going to be a big disrupting shift coming, and the players will sort themselves out by how the market responds. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top, and hopefully expose what modern users are looking for in a micro-communications platform. It would also stand to reason that Twitter may endure, although I think people are ready for a new kind of social media experience. Elon seems to be turning Twitter into his personal playground with a dystopian vision of what he considers 'community'.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #2069
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

As soon as there is a viable alternative (Mastodon isn't it) Twitter will die faster than Myspace.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #2070
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

There's an old saying:

The easiest way to become a millionaire is start out a billionaire and buy an airline.

Looks like you can replace airline with Twitter and it's on the same trajectory. :P

(In before the Musk-stans complain about the pin point accuracy of a joke)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #2071
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Which old twitter do you want? The one where you manually type "RT" to retweet something? The one where "favorite" was the only option before likes or bookmarks? The one where images and videos were links (like t.co) that had to be added in a tweet, taking up a lot of your 120 characters? For that matter, do you want it back to 120 characters?
Well I wasn't really thinking in terms of the old-school features and things like that. I was thinking of it more in terms of before it became such a cesspool and before legitimate journalists were getting banned.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #2072
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect an attempt to replicate Twitter will go as well as when some ex-Google employees tried to do their own search engine, Cuil.

Somebody with a less petulant vision just needs to fix Twitter, which is basically first getting rid of bots/trolls by actually performing some verification of users and maybe a one-time fee to make it financially
burdensome for anyone with an endless supply of email addresses to sign up with. Then actually get the content moderation team built back up.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #2073
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Musk is legit starting to creep me out on the bird app, this is so much crazier than I even expected when he took over. It's something else every day on there (yesterday was the Spaces thing and random bannings, and now you can't even Like tweets from the TL presently) . He's clearly trying to end the app and/or chase everybody away IMO, guess that's worth $44 billion to him.

I'm just glad he's widespread hated now, I never liked him even back when everybody did. Just seemed like a weird DB to me.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-16-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #2074
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I expect an attempt to replicate Twitter will go as well as when some ex-Google employees tried to do their own search engine, Cuil.

Somebody with a less petulant vision just needs to fix Twitter, which is basically first getting rid of bots/trolls by actually performing some verification of users and maybe a one-time fee to make it financially
burdensome for anyone with an endless supply of email addresses to sign up with. Then actually get the content moderation team built back up.
I would agree if it is just replication, what will happen is something will, maybe has already, replace twitter, instagram may tweak what it does to vacuum up older twitter users or something else that isnt like twitter but provides most of what Twitter provides anyway will just become the new norm.

Myspace wasnt replicated by Facebook, people just stopped 'needing' it when they started using Facebook
Old 12-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #2075
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Musk is legit starting to creep me out on the bird app, this is so much crazier than I even expected when he took over. It's something else every day on there (yesterday was the Spaces thing and random bannings, and now you can't even Like tweets from the TL presently) . He's clearly trying to end the app and/or chase everybody away IMO, guess that's worth $44 billion to him.

I'm just glad he's widespread hated now, I never liked him even back when everybody did. Just seemed like a weird DB to me.
When I found out his views on Earth's population, his relationships with women and his weird life philosophy to have an army of children (has 10 already, of which one has already emancipated from him), that was when I was out. His Dad is a weird mofo too.

Just another eccentric right-wing weirdo that doesn't need more attention, even though he'll get it through his legions of Muskovites.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #2076
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I would agree if it is just replication, what will happen is something will, maybe has already, replace twitter, instagram may tweak what it does to vacuum up older twitter users or something else that isnt like twitter but provides most of what Twitter provides anyway will just become the new norm.

Myspace wasnt replicated by Facebook, people just stopped 'needing' it when they started using Facebook
Yep. The only reason that twitter is still relevant is because the other platforms haven't done well/cared to be a platform where news is spread.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #2077
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep. The only reason that twitter is still relevant is because the other platforms haven't done well/cared to be a platform where news is spread.
If Zuckerberg didnt have his head up his arse pursuing that VR idiocy Facebook could probably do for Twitter fairly easily, probably a fairly identical user base that would be just as happy to get news and social interaction all on one site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #2078
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not breaking news or anything (1 month old), but this guy seems to get it.. He's made a fortune himself on youtube somehow.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:07 PM   #2079
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
not even close, its a platform that at best, if run by an adult, might make a a couple of billion a year but is time limited like all social media, Twitter doesnt really exist for the under 30's so as they age the platform has a built in lifespan, at best 20 to 30 years although more likely 15 to 20 as a profitable platform, that gives you a lifespans profit of 20 billion tops, out of that you have to factor in the cost of borrowing and the random bad years, 10 billion is the most a sensible business would value it at
You sound like a tough negotiator
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #2080
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
You sound like a tough negotiator
It's not negotiation, as a company it has a profit margin that basically limits the value of the company.

The problem for web based companies, social media in particular is the seeming inability of investors to recognise the inherent time limited nature and ease of replacement for these companies