Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2024, 11:57 PM   #41
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Last time I had a McRib, the special buns they used were covered in mold. I was halfway through before I noticed the bun was completely covered in speckles of blue mold.

The employees quickly looked at their buns and quickly realized they had to throw out something like 3-5 bags of them. They offered me a new one without mold. Another dude was on his second of 3 McRibs or something like that. His face was crestfallen the moment he heard why I was getting a replacement and he realized his last McRib was one with a bun covered in mold. I think they gave him 2 more McRibs. A manager even came out and handed us a phone number to call if we got sick and told us they immediately checked the buns and got rid of the moldy batches. They had just started using the bags with the mold so apparently only he and I were affected. He was immediately going to put in a report to HQ and have them ask other stores to check their buns. Both of us assured the guy we weren't going to call in even if we got a little sick, but he insisted so we took the cards. Didn't get sick, didn't call. This was the McD's at Northland across from SWC high school.

But separating that part. I agree with others that the McRib was alright and it seemed better when I was younger. Maybe something I'd grab for nostalgia sake, but not something I'd line up around the block for. Although... I've never tried combining the McRib with other stuff. I wonder if there's a combo that's interesting enough to try, like creating a McRicken Rolled or something stupid like that for laughs.
It reminds me of the time I got KFC through drive through and had a half frozen raw piece in the bucket. I called to complain and they laughed at me on the phone and accused me of trying to scam them. I was hoping they would just mail me out some vouchers to make up for it, but they argued and wouldn't do anything. So I drove back, walked inside, slapped it on the counter and yelled "raw chicken". It was super packed in there because it was dinner rush and half of the people in line waiting to order just sauntered out.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:13 AM   #42
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Key to the McRib will always be the saucing. Less is more and while it appears (via app) you can ask for no sauce, that won't be any good either.

Bun too, but that makes or breaks any burger, or at McD, the McMuffin as well.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:33 AM   #43
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Bring back the big Xtra
Hell yes! We need that powder back. It's so easy for them to bring it back. It's essentially the same as a quarter pounder with lettuce, cheese, and that glorious powder!
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:26 AM   #44
musth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Once you start getting things "dressed like a mac" you'll never go back.

Agreed, however I am dismayed at how many locations add on an extra $1 for the privilege while others add at no cost...
Old 01-31-2024, 02:50 PM   #45
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
you lost your shot at licking some black mold from your basement and then suing Mcd for millions!
LOL. I wish. I don't think they hand out those types of settlements in Canada for stuff like that. USA maybe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Bring back the big Xtra
I don't even remember anymore since it's been so long. But what's the difference between big Xtra and quarter pounder BLT?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:58 PM   #46
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
LOL. I wish. I don't think they hand out those types of settlements in Canada for stuff like that. USA maybe though.

I don't even remember anymore since it's been so long. But what's the difference between big Xtra and quarter pounder BLT?
Is the Big Xtra the one that came in two separate compartments, so the lettuce and tomato stayed fresh?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:34 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Is the Big Xtra the one that came in two separate compartments, so the lettuce and tomato stayed fresh?
No, the Big Xtra is a 2000 sandwich, long after retiring the foam containers. The McDLT was from 1985.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 04:37 PM   #48
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dude...I think that was salt.
It was these, but test-marketed in some Canadian locations in the early 90s. I'm sure of it. I remember doing it at the Beddington Mcd.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:56 PM   #49
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love these Mcdonalds flashbacks.

The one I remember was the Arch Deluxe. The burger marketed towards adults. I was a kid at the time, so needless to say I thought it was gross. I'm curious to try it if it ever came back. Google tells me it just had a bunch of fancy sauces apparently.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:40 AM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the Arch Deluxe.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:57 AM   #51
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 02-01-2024, 11:11 AM   #52
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just had one. 6/10. Not so terrible that I didn't finish it, but definitely not great. Would NOT have again! Thanks for ruining my memories of a great sandwich, McDonald's!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:18 AM   #53
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Just had one. 6/10. Not so terrible that I didn't finish it, but definitely not great. Would NOT have again! Thanks for ruining my memories of a great sandwich, McDonald's!
How does the rest of the menu suit you? There is nothing on the lunch/dinner menu that remotely interests me. I'd rather skip the meal than eat anything they have to offer. Unfortunately, my kids love McDonalds and sometimes I have to get them a Happy Meal for convenience. If there was something palatable on the menu for me, that would be a plus.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 04:00 PM   #54
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
How does the rest of the menu suit you? There is nothing on the lunch/dinner menu that remotely interests me. I'd rather skip the meal than eat anything they have to offer. Unfortunately, my kids love McDonalds and sometimes I have to get them a Happy Meal for convenience. If there was something palatable on the menu for me, that would be a plus.
Been committed to becoming overall healthier for some time now, so part of that is diet. There are lots of resources on various socials that start 'I'm outside <insert fast food place > and I'm going to grab a meal of less than Y calories with more than X grams of protein".

There are no such meals available at McDonald's
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:28 PM   #55
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I liked the Arch Deluxe.
Me too. Fantastic.
And there was an odd time where they had sub sandwiches to try and compete with Sunway. The steak n' cheese one was good.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:55 PM   #56
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a culture, we need to normalize not giving a #### about the McRib.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:01 PM   #57
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I'll enjoy a Big Mac and a Filet-O-Fish (my favorite burger of theirs) occasionally, say once every couple months late at night after lots of drinking. Today was the first time I had McDonald's for lunch in a long time!
Old 02-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #58
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'll enjoy a Big Mac and a Filet-O-Fish (my favorite burger of theirs) occasionally, say once every couple months late at night after lots of drinking. Today was the first time I had McDonald's for lunch in a long time!
Maybe I should try the Filet-O-Fish again. The McRib doesn't interest me.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #59
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

They never put enough tartar sauce on it. Ask for extra tartar sauce but on the side so you can add what you want. Also goes great with fries!
Old 02-01-2024, 09:27 PM   #60
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I like a fillet o fish every once in awhile. The soft bun is nice. But I can't imagine asking for more sauce. Sometimes they absolutely smother it with sauce dripping out the side. I wish had a double fillet o fish and that was too much fish. The OG sandwich has a great balance. A bit lighter than the other options, but that can be good depending on mood.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote