Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #81
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I find greatness inspiring.
Just to further the conversation, I don't find "greatness" inspiring. I don't mean that to shat on you post, either, but I like this song by bad religion called "I want to conquer the world." Here are the lyrics:

Quote:
Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying
Hey sister bleeding heart with all of your compassion
Your labors soothe the hurt, but can't assuage temptation

Hey man of science with your perfect rules of measure
Can you improve this place with the data that you gather?
Hey mother mercy, can your loins bear fruit forever?
Is your fecundity a trammel or a treasure?

And I want to conquer the world
Give all the idiots a brand new religion
Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness, and toil
Promote equality in all of my decisions
With a quick wink of the eye
And a "God you must be joking"

Hey mister diplomat with your worldly aspirations
Did you see your children cry when you left them at the station?
Hey moral soldier, you've got righteous proclamation
And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations

And I want to conquer the world
Give all the idiots a brand new religion
Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness, and toil
Promote equality in all of my decisions

I want to conquer the world
Expose the culprits, and feed 'em to the children
Do away with air pollution, and then I'll save the whales
We'll have peace on Earth and global communion

I want to conquer the world!
I want to conquer the world!
If you reach greatness at something, it's at the expense of something else. I like generalists and being with generalists. As soon as somebody goes all in on one thing (politics, career, education, fishing, whatever), they lose too many other things.

It is to my benefit some people to get laser focused on their passion because I get to enjoy the fruits of it (be it in entertainment, some new invention, whatever), but usually the people themselves are kind of sad sacks and not at all inspirational aside from their one or two main "things".

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #82
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Interesting. I see Tony Robbins as a snake oil salesman bilking rubes out of their hard-earned money.
I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...f-help-secrets
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #83
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I can get very creative by viewing things like Pinterest or the Lee Valley catalogue.

If I’m trying to work out a project mentally I find flipping through the catalogue allows me to know what jigs/tools are available to me to get past a road block on the project. Sometimes that is all it takes to form the design in my mind.

Also seeing other similar projects/pieces allows me to adapt something I’ve seen into my style/needs. I can really day dream while scanning Pinterest

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
My wife. My wife inspires me. Very driven and very successful in everything she puts her mind to. I wish I had half of her drive.
Yeah my wife is much more driven than me. She's pretty well known in her field in the city and some parts of the province. I always try my best at anything I do and it's always got the job done but I've never pushed myself to hit another level or further my career as far as I could go. Maybe I've settled into mediocrity and will maybe never fulfil my potential but on the other hand I'm generally pretty happy with life and what I have.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #85
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I can get very creative by viewing things like Pinterest or the Lee Valley catalogue.

If I’m trying to work out a project mentally I find flipping through the catalogue allows me to know what jigs/tools are available to me to get past a road block on the project. Sometimes that is all it takes to form the design in my mind.

Also seeing other similar projects/pieces allows me to adapt something I’ve seen into my style/needs. I can really day dream while scanning Pinterest
Pinterest? I don't think we can be friends anymore.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #86
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't experience enjoying somebody great at their craft as inspiring. I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm moved by it. But I'm not inspired by it. Not kidding, I don't think I have that emotion in me anymore.

If you're not taking that thing that supposedly inspired you and actively doing something to change your behaviour in a way to bring you closer to that which inspired you, I would argue you have not been inspired. To be inspired requires you to make a change in your life.
Well, that's the point I was trying to make. If I encounter someone being great, it usually inspires me to be better, not just in my career, but generally overall.

Quote:
If we're going to throw in anti-inspiration, I'd say I'm anti-inspired by careerists. There's no trait on planet earth a person can possess that is more off-putting to me than somebody driven and motivated by climbing the corporate ladder or just over-working for the sake of work. Put your energy - to the extent possible - into hobbies and personal relationships. Work is lame.
Absolutely. And not my point at all. Being great at your career is one thing - and can be a form if inspiration for me - but definitely not the only form of greatness I admire and gather inspiration from.

At the same time, I wasn't trying to imply that someone needs to be great at their career for me to respect them. I couldn't care less if someone, well, couldn't care less about their career... I agree with you and hope people are fulfilled through other parts of their life.

Quote:
If you reach greatness at something, it's at the expense of something else. I like generalists and being with generalists. As soon as somebody goes all in on one thing (politics, career, education, fishing, whatever), they lose too many other things.
In my experience, if someone achieves greatness at something, it generally spills over into them being well-functioning in most aspects of their life. I wouldn't expect to find a gold medalist that can't manage to take out the trash or pick up their dirty socks

But frankly, that's not the point... I don't need to take a deep dive into every aspect of someone's life to determine whether or not I'll be inspired by them... If they're great at something - just one single thing - usually I'll be able to glean some inspiration from that.

Quote:
It is to my benefit some people to get laser focused on their passion because I get to enjoy the fruits of it (be it in entertainment, some new invention, whatever), but usually the people themselves are kind of sad sacks and not at all inspirational aside from their one or two main "things".
I get what you're saying, but feel it relates more to people you want to be friends with and less to being inspired. I don't need my friends to be great and I don't need them to inspire me.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post: