Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 06:49 AM   #5901
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have also thought you could go talk to rink rats and see if they have any old boards kicking around from when they may have replaced the boards in the rink. I considered getting those new but very expensive. YMMV.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:51 AM   #5902
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also, old chair mats for offices would work well. I know we have a bunch left over at our office. Also, facebook marketplace may have some on the cheap.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:55 AM   #5903
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

as an example
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks
Old 02-11-2024, 07:20 AM   #5904
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Also, old chair mats for offices would work well. I know we have a bunch left over at our office. Also, facebook marketplace may have some on the cheap.
Oh man that’s the kind of bright idea I was hoping for!!!! Thanks! The Walmart link isn’t too bad either… I’m just trying to be super cheap about it. The board idea is brilliant too.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:16 AM   #5905
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have also thought you could go talk to rink rats and see if they have any old boards kicking around from when they may have replaced the boards in the rink. I considered getting those new but very expensive. YMMV.
That’s what I did, they had one and it worked great.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:47 PM   #5906
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Oh man that’s the kind of bright idea I was hoping for!!!! Thanks! The Walmart link isn’t too bad either… I’m just trying to be super cheap about it. The board idea is brilliant too.
Bright idea. Not too bad. Brilliant.

Yeah, that seems about right.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:11 AM   #5907
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those mats work for that purpose?

I'm assuming you mean the hard plastic ish ones and not the slightly grippy ones, but still... that's kinda interesting.

It'll be interesting to hear how well it works.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #5908
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Those mats work for that purpose?

I'm assuming you mean the hard plastic ish ones and not the slightly grippy ones, but still... that's kinda interesting.

It'll be interesting to hear how well it works.
Thick and hard is better but the thin ones work as you stand on it to shoot. May be slightly slipperier when you step off.

Strangely enough I was thinking back to when I would use it and totally forgot that I bought my kid a mat kind of like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Get-Hockey-Sh...A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

If you are interested I could probably sell it for a good price. Let me know and I will ask my kid if she would use it again.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:51 AM   #5909
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Actually I'm going a step further with my flood alert system, and grabbing one of these to automatically shutoff the water if any moisture sensor trips
Home flood mitigation complete

Link

I went with a different motorized water valve though as my water valve is right against the wall and the Zooz one wouldn't have fit. Went with an Econet Bulldog, I bought the barebones Z-Wave version because I already had the water sensors, but you can get a kit that does everything on it's own if you don't have a home automation hub

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 12:52 PM   #5910
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ok that's neat, very tempted to do something like that.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:44 AM   #5911
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I live in and manage a staff residence. The building is 35 years old. In my suite the bathroom has a 1980's 5 inch recessed heat lamp (yes the red bulb type). The pot is 5 or 6 inches deep. The light has a push button timer switch. For safety I have replaced the red bulb with an LED spot light type bulb. What are options to replace / update the entire fixture and is it an easy job? I am quite "handy" with electrical and carpentry.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:52 AM   #5912
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went out to salt my sidewalk this morning because we get a lot of ice buildup when the snow starts melting. I noticed on the leading edge of my roof on the north side of the house there is some ice buildup from the last little bit of snowing melting yesterday. Should I be concerned about this ice? I'm assuming it will melt next week when it warms up again and I don't think there is anything I can do about it at this point. Maybe I can toss some salt up there to melt the ice but is it necessary?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:18 PM   #5913
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a roof snow scraper from Costco for 30 dollars because the telescoping pole alone costs twice that at HD. I have no plans to ever use the snow part, but I have it now.

If you live in SE Calgary, you can borrow it if you want. It would easily reach up there. As that is what it is for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 06:28 PM   #5914
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
I live in and manage a staff residence. The building is 35 years old. In my suite the bathroom has a 1980's 5 inch recessed heat lamp (yes the red bulb type). The pot is 5 or 6 inches deep. The light has a push button timer switch. For safety I have replaced the red bulb with an LED spot light type bulb. What are options to replace / update the entire fixture and is it an easy job? I am quite "handy" with electrical and carpentry.
You can buy retrofit kits that fit into the existing pot and look just like recessed fixture in new construction. It will have a screw in pigtail and the spring clips to hold in place. On many you can now select warmth (2000-5000k). They are really easy to replace and look really good. Good luck

Home Depot near me example here
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-259/303780862

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 02-25-2024 at 06:31 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #5915
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we need to get a new stove. Our whirlpool broiler element is not working. Rolled the dice on a replacement element from Amazon, still no worky so must be a control board issue. Heard a few times having repair guy come out winds up being same/similar cost of new one.

Seem to recall a discussion a while back saying some manufacturers are better at some appliances than others (bosch for dishwasher, Whirlpool for washers/dryers). Anyone been down this road recently? We don't need anything at all high end but would prefer flaptop over coils and convection would be kinda neat?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:51 PM   #5916
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

when my stove packs it in, I'll be switching to induction.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:26 PM   #5917
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Looks like we need to get a new stove. Our whirlpool broiler element is not working. Rolled the dice on a replacement element from Amazon, still no worky so must be a control board issue. Heard a few times having repair guy come out winds up being same/similar cost of new one.

Seem to recall a discussion a while back saying some manufacturers are better at some appliances than others (bosch for dishwasher, Whirlpool for washers/dryers). Anyone been down this road recently? We don't need anything at all high end but would prefer flaptop over coils and convection would be kinda neat?
Whatever you do, do not buy anything samsung. My 3 year old set had dishwasher and fridge totally die and not worth fixing. There should be laws surrounding the quality and warranty of these home appliances. These companies spitting out products they know won't last 5 years. Imagine the environmental footprint that is causing.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 11:22 PM   #5918
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Whatever you do, do not buy anything samsung. My 3 year old set had dishwasher and fridge totally die and not worth fixing. There should be laws surrounding the quality and warranty of these home appliances. These companies spitting out products they know won't last 5 years. Imagine the environmental footprint that is causing.
I'll second this. 2 new sets of Samsung washer/dryer two years ago and they are junk. Service call after service call. Would usually donate old when buying new, but when time comes (soon) won't subject any charity to Samsung crap.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 10:10 AM   #5919
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, only things I buy from Samsung these days are SSD's.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 10:51 AM   #5920
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
When my oven died, I pulled the board and there was a bad solder. Grabbed the $15 crap soldering iron from the basement, and has been working for years since.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: