Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #5881
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, despite being Korean, I don't trust Samsung or LG appliances except maybe their washer/dryers (our LG set has been flawless the 14 years we've had it).

Just replaced our Wall oven and had a chance to purchase a brand new Samsung for almost half price, but decided to spend more on another brand to avoid headaches. Less bells and whistles, but more peace of mind.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:07 PM   #5882
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Bought from Canadian Appliance Source when we needed to replace our old one in a hurry. Delivery and takeaway was included. And they had a bunch to choose from that were in stock and available for next day delivery. Price was good too.
This is exactly what I did. I spent most of Thursday morning researching different fridges, found a Whirlpool model I liked, then started browsing through local store websites until I stumbled across CAS who had it in stock. It was delivered this morning, so we only had to go 2 days without a working fridge. And I did stick with one with water/ice because I like that too much to go without, but I will be sticking some moisture sensors behind the fridge that hook into Home Assistant to alert me if there's any leaks
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 12:10 PM   #5883
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Yeah, despite being Korean, I don't trust Samsung or LG appliances except maybe their washer/dryers (our LG set has been flawless the 14 years we've had it).

Just replaced our Wall oven and had a chance to purchase a brand new Samsung for almost half price, but decided to spend more on another brand to avoid headaches. Less bells and whistles, but more peace of mind.
Bought a new home 4 years ago with a suite of higher-end Samsung appliances.

I've already replaced two of them and the others are showing signs of being on their last legs.

Samsung. Never again.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 12:22 PM   #5884
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Actually I'm going a step further with my flood alert system, and grabbing one of these to automatically shutoff the water if any moisture sensor trips

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 01:25 PM   #5885
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We went through a leaky fridge. The leak was caused by a slow leak in our fridge's water valve. The slow leak eventually caused the basement ceiling underneath to collapse

The good news was insurance covered redoing the floors on the main floor, the ceiling in the basement, and the flooring in the basement.

I bought a new valve online for about $40 and replaced it.

The one thing I noticed in the weeks leading up to the flooding was whenever I got water from the fridge, there was a delay before the water was dispensed. I now know it was because the water line slowly leaked out, and pressing the dispenser refilled the line first before the water came out, hence the delay.

Add the dispenser delay to your precautions.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 01:33 PM   #5886
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Just DO NOT buy a Samsung fridge. Absolute garbage piece of ####.

I bought my new one at Lowes, and it was a good experience with delivery and removal of the goddamned POS Samsung.
Quote:
I am not sure I was clear above.

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG FRIDGE.

I hope that is more clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Yeah, despite being Korean, I don't trust Samsung or LG appliances.
So what you're saying is if Samsung makes kick ass phones and TVs then their fridges must be AWESOME!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #5887
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
So what you're saying is if Samsung makes kick ass phones and TVs then their fridges must be AWESOME!
No. What I am saying is if a guy is a kick ass accountant. Not that we know any of those around here, but the helicopter kind, that does NOT mean you can get him to do your electrical in your house. NO dumbass, I do NOT want an electrical outlet IN my hottub.

####ing accountants...

Last edited by Titan2; 02-03-2024 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Needed to add: #### Samsung...fridges
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 03:49 PM   #5888
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. What I am saying is if a guy is a kick ass accountant. Not that we know any of those around here, but the helicopter kind, that does NOT mean you can get him to do your electrical in your house. NO dumbass, I do NOT want an electrical outlet IN my hottub.

####ing accountants...
The good accountants pay other people to do that for them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 12:54 PM   #5889
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anybody know a carpenter that will replace MDF windows jambs with PVC ones? I currently have older vinyl windows, but the jambs are MDF and warped. I reached out to a couple of window installers on kijiji, but they will only replace the MDF with new MDF.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #5890
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
Anybody know a carpenter that will replace MDF windows jambs with PVC ones? I currently have older vinyl windows, but the jambs are MDF and warped. I reached out to a couple of window installers on kijiji, but they will only replace the MDF with new MDF.
Wouldn't any basic handyman who can work a chop saw at 45 degrees be able to do that job? Aren't they just basically replacing baseboard around a window? You might be asking for a professional to do an apprentice's work.

That's what I saw when I had a guy paint sprayer the door and window frames and reinstall them during my home refresh.

I have absolutely no clue if you're supposed to leave a small gap in the PVC for expansion and contraction though. But I also find it weird they'd only replace with MDF.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:57 PM   #5891
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just dealt with some flooding from a dishwasher in my condo. Ended up deciding to move forward with a more extensive renovation that we had planned to do in the next couple of years.

Just bought a whole new set of appliances. I researched the hell out of them and, while i preferred not to buy the same brand for each product we ended up going with many Fisher and Paykel items. Essentially a mid-ranged brand. Along with a Miele dishwasher.

All-in it wasnt cheap, but the next brand we were looking at was Bosch, which came out around the same price point, if a bit less, for a few items. We ultimately paid a bit more for the aesthetics of F&P (all black or integrated/panel ready).

My current kitchen was all EDIT: GE not LG) which surprising i had no issues with for a decade (except the dishwasher leak) with regular maintenance.

However, i understand most appliances now suffer from reliability issues.

From everything i read, if you want a more reliable fridge, you have to ditch the door water/ice dispenser. We bought a fridge with an internal ice maker, and then bought a water filter system and faucet for the sink.

Last edited by Cappy; 02-08-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #5892
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
From everything i read, if you want a more reliable fridge, you have to ditch the door water/ice dispenser. We bought a fridge with an internal ice maker, and then bought a water filter system and faucet for the sink.
I did a lot of reading on fridges since our old one died last week, and most of the ice maker issues I found were on the french door fridges with the freezer on the bottom. Lots of icing/leaking issues on the in-door ice maker because of the temperature difference with the fridge part it sits in. Our old 20 year old Frigidaire had water/ice in the door but it was a side-by-side, so the ice maker was inside the freezer and we never had any issues with it until the compressor died. That's why we went with a new Whirlpool side-by-side, hopefully it can last as long as the Frigidaire did
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 04:11 PM   #5893
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I will be sticking some moisture sensors behind the fridge that hook into Home Assistant to alert me if there's any leaks
If you haven't, I'd look into the sensors that use a sensor wire, so you can make a loop around the area.

My in-laws had a leaking toilet with a water sensor right behind it that never went off because the puddle sloped in a different direction.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:07 PM   #5894
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
If you haven't, I'd look into the sensors that use a sensor wire, so you can make a loop around the area.

My in-laws had a leaking toilet with a water sensor right behind it that never went off because the puddle sloped in a different direction.
Fridge sits in a walled-in enclave, so there's only one way for the water to go if there's a leak
Old 02-09-2024, 02:19 PM   #5895
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Fridge sits in a walled-in enclave, so there's only one way for the water to go if there's a leak
I think BBF is saying in case the water leaks left vs right or something away from the sensor because the floor somehow is slightly not level, especially if the leak is super slow vs fast. Damage is still happening but the sensor isn't going off.

A contractor showed me a way to do this in a low tech way before via paper towels. Occasionally check for dampness or water stains.

I do this for a few days after cleaning the washing machine filter (in case I didn't tighten it enough).
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:15 PM   #5896
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Does anyone have a reliable and cheap idea for a puck shooting and stick handling surface that I can use in my garage? These little shooting pads at the store are so expensive. Thanks!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:30 PM   #5897
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Does anyone have a reliable and cheap idea for a puck shooting and stick handling surface that I can use in my garage? These little shooting pads at the store are so expensive. Thanks!
Water and leave the door open? D'uh!

Last edited by Titan2; 02-11-2024 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Vuck me I hate spelling mistakes. Particularly when I make them.
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:36 PM   #5898
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clean the garage floor well (ie: including leaf blower for dust) and then use roller pucks?
Old 02-11-2024, 06:30 AM   #5899
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Wanter and leave the door open? D'uh!
Man, if only winter in southern Ontario this year wasn’t so sad. My grass is green.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:46 AM   #5900
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Man, if only winter in southern Ontario this year wasn’t so sad. My grass is green.
My bad. I assumed you were in Plutanamo Bay.

Less of a dick answer:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/warrior...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post: