Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #1601
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
As if that doesn't apply to every player on every team of every sport of every all time
Of course it does. I truly do believe chemistry among teammates is the #1 most important attribute to have when having a good team. More so then individual skill, grit, or whatever other intangibles an athlete might have.

I'm just saying that one of the 'knocks' against Monahan is that he seems to ride Gaudreau's coattails and that's why he produces like he does. It's made to be seen as a bad thing, and that Monahan isn't as good as he might seem. I think that's BS. So what if he rides his coattails? At the end of the day, they have a symbiotic relationship on the ice, they get top line production, and they BOTH (and the whole team) benefit from it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #1602
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
In 4 games since Monahan got shut down for the year, Johnny has 0 points.

The sample size is small but perhaps him and Mr. Garbage Man have a symbiotic relationship rather than Monahan just riding Johnny's coattails.

I like Sean Monahan.
I said the exact same thing earlier this year. Monahan doesn't score 30 without Johnny, but Johnny isn't over a PPG without Monahan. The ability to put the puck in the net is huge.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #1603
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Monahan doesn't really have a chance to carry the puck into the zone very often since Gaudreau always does it and is better. I think Monahan is actually decent at this as we see every once in awhile.. We would see it more if he was on a different line.
The one thing Gulutzan and Hartley have in common is a non adaptable playbook. If you drop the puck back and give it to the same player always to break the zone, other teams and coaches study this and devise a plan to shut it down.

It kind of works at first when everyone is starting the car, but mid-season all teams figure out how to counter those moves.

Flames play was highly predictable this year. It was like rock paper scissors but the flames system is scissors scissors scissors scissors.

So yes, relying on Gaudreau to do the majority of zone entry seems smart on paper, but once that gets out there, your only move is busted.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #1604
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has Monahan had his wrist surgery yet? Will his hip problem require surgery?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #1605
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The one thing Gulutzan and Hartley have in common is a non adaptable playbook. If you drop the puck back and give it to the same player always to break the zone, other teams and coaches study this and devise a plan to shut it down.

It kind of works at first when everyone is starting the car, but mid-season all teams figure out how to counter those moves.

Flames play was highly predictable this year. It was like rock paper scissors but the flames system is scissors scissors scissors scissors.

So yes, relying on Gaudreau to do the majority of zone entry seems smart on paper, but once that gets out there, your only move is busted.
Except it wasn’t busted. Zone entrance was the least of the Flames issues on the power play.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #1606
cgydom88
Draft Pick

In a perfect world, Monahan would be a 2nd line center on this team, and play with Tkachuk. Backlund on the third line for the type of role he plays, and the Flames go after a true #1 center who can create plays on his own and dominate the top C role. That is something Monahan can't do on his own, he has a create shot but his zone entries and puck possession is weak for a top line C.
cgydom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #1607
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgydom88 View Post
In a perfect world, Monahan would be a 2nd line center on this team, and play with Tkachuk. Backlund on the third line for the type of role he plays, and the Flames go after a true #1 center who can create plays on his own and dominate the top C role. That is something Monahan can't do on his own, he has a create shot but his zone entries and puck possession is weak for a top line C.
All the guy does is continue to improve, and people are still stuck on this notion that Monahan is "just a second-line centre." And this notion that he "can't create on his own" is just patently false, and is clearly debunked by how consistent he has been in the absence of Johnny Gaudreau. He was on pace to score 70-points this year, and is in the top-twenty of offensive production among centres in the past three seasons.

Let's put it this way: if Sean Monahan is your team's #2 centre then your team has the best centre depth in the NHL by a country mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #1608
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
All the guy does is continue to improve, and people are still stuck on this notion that Monahan is "just a second-line centre." And this notion that he "can't create on his own" is just patently false, and is clearly debunked by how consistent he has been in the absence of Johnny Gaudreau. He was on pace to score 70-points this year, and is in the top-twenty of offensive production among centres in the past three seasons.

Let's put it this way: if Sean Monahan is your team's #2 centre then your team has the best centre depth in the NHL by a country mile.
Crosby, Malkin destroys any center depth in the league by three country miles.

After that it depends who the number one center ahead of Monahan is.

Tavares, Barzal is a crazy combo. Kopitar, Carter. I'm going off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many other great combos out there.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #1609
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I bet some Monahan haters would find flaws if he scored 30 points in the playoffs with a 60% FO wins, 16 GWGs and won the Conn Smythe.

"He's at best a 2nd liner who is just lucky"
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #1610
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bet some Monahan haters would find flaws if he scored 30 points in the playoffs with a 60% FO wins, 16 GWGs and won the Conn Smythe.

I love Sean Monahan. I just wish the Flames had someone of his equal or better to play center. He's a number one center but the Flames can't go deep into the playoffs with the center depth we have right now in comparison to other teams in the league.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #1611
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except it wasn’t busted. Zone entrance was the least of the Flames issues on the power play.
This was the part of the power play that worked? Yes, they were able to enter the zone.....

Now i'm the coach for the opposing team. I tell my players they are going to pass the puck back to a defensemen. Then Johnny Gaudreau will reel around behind the defensemen and receive a drop pass and will solely carry the puck 100 ft into the zone. ALMOST EVERY TIME. This whole sequence takes 20 seconds or so and it earmarks where the two D' will be and a key forward. So we can have more then man on man coverage and cause them to take a shot from the perimeter or cause possession turnover because this is how Gulutzan does it 90% of the time.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #1612
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
This was the part of the power play that worked? Yes, they were able to enter the zone.....

Now i'm the coach for the opposing team. I tell my players they are going to pass the puck back to a defensemen. Then Johnny Gaudreau will reel around behind the defensemen and receive a drop pass and will solely carry the puck 100 ft into the zone. ALMOST EVERY TIME. This whole sequence takes 20 seconds or so and it earmarks where the two D' will be and a key forward. So we can have more then man on man coverage and cause them to take a shot from the perimeter or cause possession turnover because this is how Gulutzan does it 90% of the time.
They gained the zone almost every time, which means that zone entry isn't the issue, it's what happens afterwards. BTW, Gaudreau only carries into the zone after the drop pass about half the time. The other half he shuffles the puck to someone just across the blue line, but either way they are in with full possession. The issue all year was they couldn't pass quickly enough to make the goalie move, they couldn't get pucks close to the goal to create chaotic situations and they were way too static, until they got frustrated and tried a low percentage shot or an easily intercepted pass. Their puck movement was glacial. A one timer (that plenty of people called for) won't work if the goalie can get over. If that happens it's a pretty routine save. Too often the goalie was over in plenty of time and the shooter recognized it and didn't even shoot - he just reset.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #1613
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He’s like a tweener in my opinion where he can play on the first line but if he does he’s underwhelming but he’s clearly better than your average #2c. Solid player just a weird fit. I think he’d be better on wing honestly. Sucks our rebuild couldn’t have yielded a true franchise pillar down the middle like Matthews/Eichel or McDavid
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #1614
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

pffft, 60%, what about the 40% he lost.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #1615
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

When did boring Sean become assist man? Tied for 8th in league scoring including 30 apples!
Old 01-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #1616
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Hot Take: Sean Monahan is a 1st line center
Old 01-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #1617
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sean FRICKIN Monahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Bump.

When did boring Sean become assist man? Tied for 8th in league scoring including 30 apples!

Not bad for a 2nd line garbage man being carried by Gaudeeau.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #1618
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
He’s like a tweener in my opinion where he can play on the first line but if he does he’s underwhelming but he’s clearly better than your average #2c. Solid player just a weird fit. I think he’d be better on wing honestly. Sucks our rebuild couldn’t have yielded a true franchise pillar down the middle like Matthews/Eichel or McDavid
Stonehands Garbageman—on pace for 43 goals and 99 POINTS.

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-05-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #1619
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is an excellent player - but a different player than some of the centers mentioned...of course it'd be nice if he were a mcdavid/Eichel or Matthews, but those guys #1/2 picks overall... his game isn't flashy, so i think he gets overlook and undervalued by some posters

Calgary needs to get better play from guys like Backlund and Janko in the playoffs tho and the playoff noose while be squarely on that top line so other lines need to step up.

Chucky is an elite player, but he needs a running mate... backlund has been great in the past, so hopefully he can find his form in time for the playoffs.

Lindholm's versatility is invaluable as you can have a Johnny/Monny line and a Tkachuk/Lindholm if you need to try to get away from some defensive matchups in the playoffs.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #1620
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Lindholm's versatility is invaluable as you can have a Johnny/Monny line and a Tkachuk/Lindholm if you need to try to get away from some defensive matchups in the playoffs.
That's very true. I imagine we'll see some of that in playoff road games.

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah