Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #41
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Switched to Telus on my EPP at work. Thanks again to those who got me to check again, it was a great deal vs what Shaw wanted to resign me at. Looks like I will be net $80/mo ahead and have faster internet (1GB vs 600mb) and get more channels with HBO thrown in.

Install was a gong show, first guy showed up and promptly refused to install because things weren’t perfect. Said to reschedule when another team could come fix some things.

Second installer came and was actually an employee of Telus. He was happy to help work around some inconvenience and got it done.

Overall had it for a week. Internet is super fast, but always was. The TV box they provide compared to Shaw sucks big time. Miss the voice feature, remote, and OS of the Xfinity box. Waaay easier to use.

But whatever. I asked Shaw to match so I would stay and they declined. Thold the family to suck it up. Hopefully Telus has better boxes in future. Not worth $80/mo tho.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #42
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus gaslighting Canadian consumers about the affordability of Canadian wireless pricing and are being slapped with a misleading rating by Canada's consumer watchdog.

Hopefully this type of thing leads to fines, but I'm not optimistic.

Quote:
Canada's advertising watchdog says Telus misled consumers with an advertisement that claimed "it's a myth that Canadians pay some of the highest wireless prices in the world."

In a recent decision from Ad Standards Canada, the industry regulator found that a full-page Telus newspaper campaign in Quebec mixed up issues of affordability and price to give the impression wireless prices were lower in Canada than other countries.

The claim was based on a 2019 PricewaterhouseCoopers study on wireless affordability in Canada.

But members of the self-regulating advertising industry council said in a unanimous decision that the study didn't back up the claim.

"There was no support in the cited study for the claim that it is a myth Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the world for wireless," the council said in a decision posted on its website.

"The study discussed affordability, rather than price, and it only addressed four countries in total, rather than most, or all, countries in the world."

According to the decision, Telus did not provide a response to the complaint, which came from a member of the public.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rice-1.5709691
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 02:45 AM   #43
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not a big fan of any of the large telecom options we have here but I will say I’m always surprised at the amount of angry and frustrated customer reviews and posters on here related to Telus’ customer service because they’ve always been very helpful, polite, and for the most part knowledgeable enough any time I’ve called.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #44
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

prime video can now be used on the telus tv boxes. really handy.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #45
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
prime video can now be used on the telus tv boxes. really handy.
4K only or HD (non 4K) too?
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #46
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
4K only or HD (non 4K) too?
HDR 4K it seems
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #47
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized my Telus Fiber 300 contract (for which I had a pretty sweet deal) expires in February 1, 2021.

How early can you renew? If I see a great Black Friday or Xmas deal, can I renew then?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #48
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I was still under contract when Shaw had their great deal last year on Black Friday. I called Telus and they pretty much matched it; I just had to start the clock on a new 2 year contract.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #49
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thinking of switching from Shaw internet to Telus fibre - just got in our neighbourhood. Does Telus do any deals for internet if you combine with mobile plans has anyone experienced?
Old 11-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #50
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thinking of switching from Shaw internet to Telus fibre - just got in our neighbourhood. Does Telus do any deals for internet if you combine with mobile plans has anyone experienced?
I’m on the Telus EPP mobile phone plan. They gave me Telus Fibre for $55 a month. This included the EPP discount and mobile phone discount. I did have to get a basic TV package though, which was $10 for them to give me the fibre for $55.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #51
diskonect
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Switched to Telus on my EPP at work. Thanks again to those who got me to check again, it was a great deal vs what Shaw wanted to resign me at. Looks like I will be net $80/mo ahead and have faster internet (1GB vs 600mb) and get more channels with HBO thrown in.

Install was a gong show, first guy showed up and promptly refused to install because things weren’t perfect. Said to reschedule when another team could come fix some things.

Second installer came and was actually an employee of Telus. He was happy to help work around some inconvenience and got it done.

Overall had it for a week. Internet is super fast, but always was. The TV box they provide compared to Shaw sucks big time. Miss the voice feature, remote, and OS of the Xfinity box. Waaay easier to use.

But whatever. I asked Shaw to match so I would stay and they declined. Thold the family to suck it up. Hopefully Telus has better boxes in future. Not worth $80/mo tho.
I switched my cell phone to Telus EPP a few months back, but after being with Shaw for 15 years as a customer I think I'm ready to switch my Internet and Cable.

Sad thing is, I don't think Fiber has made it down to Mckenzie Towne yet.
diskonect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #52
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Telus has Gigabit internet at $100/month for two years as a Black Friday week promo (jumps to $160 after but I assume a person could just renegotiate or switch if necessary). Of course it's for new customers only.

Anyone had luck getting them to honour new customer deals for existing customers? As I currently pay the exact same price for something that's much slower (150/150), I'm thinking it really can't hurt to give them a call tomorrow...
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #53
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not particularly..... I called the standard loyalty and retentions line hoping to get a EPP discount applied to it of $10/month but no dice. It's clear they want you to get on Gigabit, but even a hardcore user like myself doesn't really need gigabit - my 300/300 service is rarely maxed out. I suspect that 95% of people don't actually need gigabit - but that's Telus marketing for you....

I was offered Gigabit for $85/month but I ended up renewing my 300/300 service for $60/month (a slight discount from $65). Zero bill credits. There were no speed options in between....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #54
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm starting to see some grey boxes show up on the power poles around my house with a green light on them. A couple I've seen a bit of orange sheathed cabling going into them. Is there a chance this is FINALLY Telus Fibre coming??

Shaw will not give anyone around here a deal as they know there is no competition. Super frustrating.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #55
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have Telus Home Security and does your Skybell doorbell suck as much as mine does?

I swear I get a 'Problem Connecting to the doorbell' error 50% of the time. I'm on my fourth or fifth reset and reinstall and the problem remains.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #56
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus came and installed their 1000mbps fibre internet today. My house is all wired with coax cable and he ran the internet through it to the top floor. Should I bother trying to fish cat6 cable through the walls or is there no performance difference ping/speed wise?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #57
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Telus came and installed their 1000mbps fibre internet today. My house is all wired with coax cable and he ran the internet through it to the top floor. Should I bother trying to fish cat6 cable through the walls or is there no performance difference ping/speed wise?
Is it true that coax maxes out at 100mbps? I always thought that, but a quick speed test would tell you. Cat 6 will do over 1000mbps although a good mesh system will get about 300mbps which is good enough for almost anything.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #58
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Is it true that coax maxes out at 100mbps? I always thought that, but a quick speed test would tell you. Cat 6 will do over 1000mbps although a good mesh system will get about 300mbps which is good enough for almost anything.
Getting 1.1gbps through this coax on fast.com
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #59
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know if you can keep my @telus.net email if I change TV providers? I'm ready to go full-on Office Space on all my Telus equipment at the moment and have had multiple failures in the past year.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #60
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Does anyone know if you can keep my @telus.net email if I change TV providers? I'm ready to go full-on Office Space on all my Telus equipment at the moment and have had multiple failures in the past year.
Yes you can but they charge $7 a month.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote