Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #1301
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's working... GamePass is slowly making me want an Xbox... the bastards....
Come to the dark side...
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #1302
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
You do know that when they announce the dates that games are leaving Gamepass Microsoft usually has great deals on those games so you can continue playing after they leave the service. So you probably would actually save more money by just buying it on Xbox.
It's $15-$20 around October/November. I'm fine with paying that. I'm also not going to buy a Series X just because I can play it on Game Pass. It's going to take multiple exclusives that I can't play on PC for that to happen.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #1303
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, a bit of ride by refreshing the PC it's basically back to Master-race domination these days. Get the 3080 4k experience and it'll suck balls to have to go back.

But here's an update on the Thunderdome.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/448...rough-week-18/

Interesting that even with a global pandemic and a crazy chip shortage, the Xbox and Playstation are both tracking pretty well with the previous generation sales numbers respectively. Basically on trend all over again. PS5 = PS4 and XXXXSX=Xbone

The switch is ramping up over the previous generation 3ds.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/448...february-2021/
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #1304
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Recently I've been playing MLB The Show 14 on RPCS3, which is the first baseball video game I've played since Triple Play '99 for PC. I still remember TP99 being pretty awesome at the time.

I'm really looking forward to trying out MLB The Show 21 on April 20th.
TP99 was incredible at the time, yes. I remember just geeking out playing that game. I believe they still had those weird flat crowds with no real people, but the stadiums were really cool for the time.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-02-2021 at 07:08 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:12 AM   #1305
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It's $15-$20 around October/November. I'm fine with paying that. I'm also not going to buy a Series X just because I can play it on Game Pass. It's going to take multiple exclusives that I can't play on PC for that to happen.
So never, I can understand that. Don't understand why you would start playing then though. That's postseason time when all the good ball is played.

Shell out the $70 and support your developers and chosen console platform. There isn't a while lot more on the PS5 to do right now or by April 20.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:45 AM   #1306
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
So never, I can understand that. Don't understand why you would start playing then though. That's postseason time when all the good ball is played.
That really doesn't matter to me. I'd rather start playing once all of the rosters are set anyway since all I play is Franchise and RTTS. And it's why I don't mind not being able to play the new NHL game on EA Play until after the deadline is over.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 04:14 AM   #1307
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's working... GamePass is slowly making me want an Xbox... the bastards....
Truthfully, it's the greatest deal in the history of video games and will forever be the standard. It's an easy decision
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #1308
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

digital edition PS5 at walmart.ca right now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #1309
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, if there’s anything Nintendo and Sony have proven over the last year it’s that people are just fine paying for individual games if they want them. GamePass really hasn’t done much to move the needle for MS sales wise while they still get handily outsold bu their competitors who have no trouble 10-20 million units of games (or more, if you’re Nintendo).

GamePass is great if you A) have lots of time to play games and B) don’t really care what you play or C) don’t mind playing mostly older games. None of which is me - I’ve actually dropped my subscription at this point — I can afford $80 a month to get my one game on PS or Switch on release day I really want to play (and the only one I have time for anyways).

Maybe down the road when the MS exclusives and Bethesda stuff start hitting day one I’ll re-up, but for now it just doesn’t work for how I like to game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #1310
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Eh, if there’s anything Nintendo and Sony have proven over the last year it’s that people are just fine paying for individual games if they want them. GamePass really hasn’t done much to move the needle for MS sales wise while they still get handily outsold bu their competitors who have no trouble 10-20 million units of games (or more, if you’re Nintendo).

GamePass is great if you A) have lots of time to play games and B) don’t really care what you play or C) don’t mind playing mostly older games. None of which is me - I’ve actually dropped my subscription at this point — I can afford $80 a month to get my one game on PS or Switch on release day I really want to play (and the only one I have time for anyways).

Maybe down the road when the MS exclusives and Bethesda stuff start hitting day one I’ll re-up, but for now it just doesn’t work for how I like to game.
That's the thing with Game Pass though - it doesn't really have to be an either/or proposition between the different scenarios you're describing. They've made the value enticing enough that it makes decent sense to have GP humming along in the background with its huge library, while you still splurge on the few good games that you want to play a la carte. Example of that for me is the Mass Effect remaster in May.

I think it's starting to cause a shift in the industry (no coincidence that Sony's been starting to throw more free games at people lately). Microsoft's ultimate goal is to have subscribers outside of the confines of their own hardware, so they're slowly growing the user base until it becomes hard for platforms/developers/players to say no. I have a friend who has a PS5 and doesn't want multiple game consoles under the TV despite the fact that I've been trying to get him to play Sea of Thieves with me. Once it's up and running with Xcloud, he'll subscribe to GP, play with me from his laptop, and we'll be off to the races.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how it all evolves over time. GP seems to be where the model is heading in many ways (similar to video streaming services), especially with games being relatively expensive. Stuff like The Show and Outriders dropping in there on day one is great because it hopefully indicates that game quality won't be harmed by the growing subscription service vortex.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #1311
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know I think Gamepass makes having both an Xbox & PS5 make a lot of sense. I thought I was done with XBox after barely using by XBox One at launch, but Gamepass really changed that.

PS5 is great for the Sony exclusives and any PS Plus games.

Then with XBOX with Gamepass (buy three years of live and convert it for $1).

I have both the PS5 and Series X and it's been great. Between the Day One Collection for PS5, PS Plus Games, and all the games on Game Pass I've had so much to play on the next gen systems.

Really the only next gen game I had to buy was Miles Morales because there is just so many other games to play.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #1312
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You can get the same Game Pass experience (without access to Series X exclusive titled whenever they come around I assume) by buying an XB1 right?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #1313
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct depending on the cost a One, One X or a Series S is a great entry way into XBox Gamepass.

Especially if you're not too worried about 4K or the highest graphic fidelity.

Only thing I'd say is some of the games are already starting to run a bit poor on the original Xbox One. So a One X or Series S is probably the better longer term play.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #1314
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Correct depending on the cost a One, One X or a Series S is a great entry way into XBox Gamepass.

Especially if you're not too worried about 4K or the highest graphic fidelity.

Only thing I'd say is some of the games are already starting to run a bit poor on the original Xbox One. So a One X or Series S is probably the better longer term play.
This ^ , If cost is an issue pick up a OneX if you can find it or the Series S.

My buddy has the Series S hooked up to an 1440p 144hz monitor and He has nothing but great things to say about it and to be honest I like the ability to have a buddy with a new kid still able to join us on some of the newer gen feelings and games when he has an hour to pop on and play.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #1315
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Between those two I’d recommend the Series S. The One X is still reasonably powerful but is essentially a discontinued model at this stage and won’t come married with any of the “optimized for Series S/X” benefits going forward. I donated my One X a few months back and replaced it with a Series S for the living room TV and it’s a slick little unit.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #1316
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fez on the Switch! Sweet.

via the Nintendo Indie today.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #1317
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just sold my XBOX ONE X for the same price I bought it for. Same for my PS4 Pro. Very surprised.

I didn't expect to see the Series S has weaker specs than the One X. I still have a few months of all the huge game subscriptions, so I'm looking at scooping an S or X for the few months.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #1318
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Just sold my XBOX ONE X for the same price I bought it for. Same for my PS4 Pro. Very surprised.
It's a crazy time. Everything is crazy priced, graphic cards, game systems.

Heck, look at original consoles like the 3ds or vita if they are brand new sealed. Probably better returns than the stock market.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #1319
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post

I didn't expect to see the Series S has weaker specs than the One X. I still have a few months of all the huge game subscriptions, so I'm looking at scooping an S or X for the few months.

The more hardware-savvy in the thread will be able to elaborate, but it isn’t the case that the One X is more powerful than the Series S right across the board. The Series S has a newer and more powerful CPU, making it better capable of playing games at 60 frames per second (albeit at sub 4K resolutions). The One X did a lot of 4K but was usually limited to 30 fps. It’s also discontinued now and won’t harness any of the optimizations for these new consoles going forward.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #1320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wild. Even with a global pandemic and a horrific shortage of chips worldwide.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1383077236673191939