Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 07:24 AM   #1581
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of all of this is the Canucks continue to move south in the overall standings making that 1st round pick of theirs that much better. Teams are reeling in the Canucks and passing them. Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado, and Carolina all within the range of being able to overtake the Canucks in the standings. Wouldn't it be delightful to watch that pick go from what looked to be near last in the 1st round to the early 20s? Talk about an investment showing immediate returns!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:28 AM   #1582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The best part of all of this is the Canucks continue to move south in the overall standings making that 1st round pick of theirs that much better. Teams are reeling in the Canucks and passing them. Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado, and Carolina all within the range of being able to overtake the Canucks in the standings. Wouldn't it be delightful to watch that pick go from what looked to be near last in the 1st round to the early 20s? Talk about an investment showing immediate returns!
Special agent Elias Lindholm exceeding in the mission given to him by the Flames to commission the fall of the Vancouver Canucks.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 07:45 AM   #1583
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see the pick ending up 24th overall.
29-32 being the final 4 playoff teams. Let's say 3 of those are also teams ahead of Vancouver in the regular season + 1 surprise team.
Then you need 4 more teams to pass them in the standings and that seems very possible.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:32 AM   #1584
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't it all on playoff success?

I mean if they slide into a tougher first round matchup it's the same thing I guess.

Can never remember how it works out outside the conference finalists.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:43 AM   #1585
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
All the panic they created.

Vancouver sports media are a menace.
Lol! I follow British soccer and while Vancouver sports media are, indeed, a menace, and they're pussycats compared to the British Sports Media, they're in the same conversation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:02 AM   #1586
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only way that happens is if they lose the division lead, and none of the Pacific teams are exactly on fire.

The best case scenario, if they hang on and win the division, is that they are the lowest division leader (which is now the case), and none of the division winners make the conference finals - that would put the pick 25th.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:03 AM   #1587
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I see the pick ending up 24th overall.
29-32 being the final 4 playoff teams. Let's say 3 of those are also teams ahead of Vancouver in the regular season + 1 surprise team.
Then you need 4 more teams to pass them in the standings and that seems very possible.
Division winners slot in after the conference finalists. The only way the pick can get better than 25th is if VAN blows the division lead. And that remains pretty unlikely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:05 AM   #1588
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

32: cup champs
31: cup finalists
30, 29: conference finalists
next: division winners not already accounted for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:19 AM   #1589
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Now that Elias Lindholm has completely soiled himself and certainly has eliminated the possibility of a longterm contract in the 8 million plus range I wonder if there is a market for him to sign a one year deal with a team for 7 million a year to try to rehabilitate himself. That team could then trade him at the deadline and recoup assets.
The thing is, this year was basically that rehabilitation year to showcase himself. Why should he expect that he would get more out of himself next year?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #1590
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canucks, since the All Star break.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763455608160686528
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #1591
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! I follow British soccer and while Vancouver sports media are, indeed, a menace, and they're pussycats compared to the British Sports Media, they're in the same conversation.

Tabbys are less scary, but they'll still knock my glass off the table like the little #######s they are.

Team went into the all-star break and forgot what was making them successful. If injuries to a bottom four dman and a bottom six winger are all it takes to shake this team's confidence then I'm not too sure what we're building here. Maybe Necas and Kotkaniemi wouldn't be too bad...

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:51 PM   #1592
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Division winners slot in after the conference finalists. The only way the pick can get better than 25th is if VAN blows the division lead. And that remains pretty unlikely.
I see, didn't know the division winners part.
I thought is was just final 4 go 29-32 and then reverse season rankings for the other 12 playoff teams who have been eliminated.

So unless the squander the division, I guess 26-28 is the best we can hope for.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:05 PM   #1593
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I see, didn't know the division winners part.
I thought is was just final 4 go 29-32 and then reverse season rankings for the other 12 playoff teams who have been eliminated.

So unless the squander the division, I guess 26-28 is the best we can hope for.
25-28, yes
Old 03-01-2024, 01:09 PM   #1594
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
So according to Friedman, these talks came about because the Canucks had an offer from the Canes that was in the "Hard to say no to" realm.

Canucks went to Pettersson and said "Come to the table or don't, but we aren't playing this game". They essentially called Pettersson's bluff and said "if you want out, we will move you now. If you want to stay give us an indication you want to stay."

After that Pettersson gave his agents the green light to start discussions. Things have moved rapidly from there.

Edit - rumours leaking out itay have been Necas, Pesce and a first
Since the rumoured offer, if true, from Carolina wasn't all that "hard to say No to", was it a bluff by management to get him to sign now?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:10 PM   #1595
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
25-28, yes
still, every spot counts
Old 03-01-2024, 01:18 PM   #1596
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Since the rumoured offer, if true, from Carolina wasn't all that "hard to say No to", was it a bluff by management to get him to sign now?
Doubt it.

The issue wasn't just "What if Petey walks?" The ability to plan for the off-season at all hinged on him signing or saying he wanted out. Hronek, 8 UFAs and getting the media to #### off were all at stake here. That's close to half the roster that they would need to build or re-fill. I think teams started asking what the deal was, and some teams started calling with offers. Canucks got a framework to a deal that they actually liked and had to sit down and say "What do we want?" Instead of pushing the trade talk further, they decided "We'd prefer to keep Pettersson." So they paused the trade talks, knowing that they could likely restart if need be, went to Pettersson and said "We don't need to sign a deal tomorrow but we need clarity."

Pettersson likely realized that if he did want to be a Canuck next year, or long term, he couldn't sit back and wait so he gave this representation permission to open discussions. It doesn't mean a contract is signed before the end of the season, but it does indicate a contract will likely get signed.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 01:19 PM   #1597
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
still, every spot counts
absolutely
Old 03-07-2024, 03:11 PM   #1598
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Elias Pettersson is expected to report to the AHL Abbotsford Canucks next week.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-08-2024, 11:08 AM   #1599
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw current Canucks management for treating such a nice man so poorly

https://twitter.com/user/status/1766103954885136571
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #1600
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The part of that saga that is still dumb to me, is Aquilini was in talks with Rutherford before hiring Boudreau. Went to Rutherford as he planned to hire Boudreau and said "What do you think of Boudreau?" and Rutherford said "I like him, he'd be a good hire" or something along those lines.

Boudreau gets hired. Then Rutherford gets hired and is immediately like "I don't want this coach."

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver