Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #61
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Pretty sure he said "####ing Saget".

Clearly they were talking about Bob Saget's new video bloopers show and how he won't seem to go away.

https://abc.go.com/shows/abc-new-sho...d-by-bob-saget
And from the ashes, the Phoenix rises! (to host AFV)

Spoiler!
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #62
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's clearly a two totally different voices saying "####" and "rag it" when you watch the video slowed down.

https://streamable.com/amp_player/8sobp?

The fact that there are people who jumped on Reilly at the outset and who refuse to accept that reality and would prefer to rely on Daniel Carcillo as the bedrock for their position is a pretty good example of how confirmation bias works. Even after a false story is retracted, people remember the story as being true because they heard that before the retraction and it's less work for the brain to just accept the first thing as true: https://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/ne...formation.html
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #63
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea about the term “rag it” but I do know a bit about PR and it would be very much in the interest of the league for this to to just go away. Not saying Reilly said it more that the league couldn’t act fast enough once an excuse became available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #64
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Growing up "rag it" meant hang on to the puck and kill time.
Who uses the F word anymore? I haven't heard that since high school. The 2 syllable F word wasn't popular then either.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #65
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not think Rielly would be dumb enough to say the word so many times like that. Players know there are mics near the ice.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #66
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Growing up "rag it" meant hang on to the puck and kill time.
Who uses the F word anymore? I haven't heard that since high school. The 2 syllable F word wasn't popular then either.
Did then and does now.
It’s not a “made up” phrase to divert the story. It’s exactly what a player would tell a teammate on the PK, who is in alone.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #67
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The F word is heard, loudly, by the mics and the crowd, about 100 times every hockey game, it's ubiquitous.

The idea that Reilly just randomly would blurt out "foggit" for no reason, not talking to the ref, not in a scrum, just, skating around, is totally bizarre, and the annunciation is not the same as would be used if he was speaking in a pejorative sense....this is much ado about nothing, a mis-report by a tender snowflake trying to cause trouble.

Doubt very much any gay hockey fans are up in arms here either.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #68
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Of course... if "Rag it" means you have some time... perhaps the opposite phrase "Man on!" needs to be addressed by the PC crowd!
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #69
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
The F word is heard, loudly, by the mics and the crowd, about 100 times every hockey game, it's ubiquitous.

The idea that Reilly just randomly would blurt out "foggit" for no reason, not talking to the ref, not in a scrum, just, skating around, is totally bizarre, and the annunciation is not the same as would be used if he was speaking in a pejorative sense....this is much ado about nothing, a mis-report by a tender snowflake trying to cause trouble.

Doubt very much any gay hockey fans are up in arms here either.
The thing is, it's already done the damage. Look at the replies to the tweets. People still think they are lying. They want blood.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #70
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The thing is, it's already done the damage. Look at the replies to the tweets. People still think they are lying. They want blood.
Damage amongst a small amount of loud mouths. No big deal.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #71
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This happened to me last week. I was in a business meeting talking about the "dumb accounting figures" and some black guy got all offended. He was all like "yo you try to fraking offend me applehole?" And I was all like "well it depends - are you a fraking accountant??"

He was an accountant. He also heard the word "figures" wrong.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #72
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This happened to me last week. I was in a business meeting talking about the "dumb accounting figures" and some black guy got all offended. He was all like "yo you try to ####ing offend me #######?" And I was all like "well it depends - are you a ####ing accountant??"

Classy meeting
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #73
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's clearly directing the comment to the Ref whatever he's saying. If Rag it is the defence they went with I don't buy it. He's chasing the puck to his own zone and there isn't anyone around to yell that at. nevermind the fact that he's CLEARLY looking at the ref.

Is he looking at the ref and yelling at his goalie to "Rag it". I don't buy it at all
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #74
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
He's clearly directing the comment to the Ref whatever he's saying. If Rag it is the defence they went with I don't buy it. He's chasing the puck to his own zone and there isn't anyone around to yell that at. nevermind the fact that he's CLEARLY looking at the ref.

Is he looking at the ref and yelling at his goalie to "Rag it". I don't buy it at all
Evidently the mic didn't pick up Reilly's voice, but instead a Lightning player.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #75
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Evidently the mic didn't pick up Reilly's voice, but instead a Lightning player.
yea, I missed Scorpions post with the lightening feed. makes more sense that it came from lightening
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #76
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This happened to me last week. I was in a business meeting talking about the "dumb accounting figures" and some black guy got all offended. He was all like "yo you try to fraking offend me applehole?" And I was all like "well it depends - are you a fraking accountant??"

This is a cringeworthy AAVE affectation dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #77
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is hilarious. You're actually suggesting that this isn't a common hockey term? Despite the fact that you can google it and find out that it is? What does anyone have to gain by lying about this?

You sound like an outrage fetishist who is upset that he's missed a chance to be angry about something. Don't worry, there are plenty of honest to goodness homophobes out there for you to direct that righteous indignation at.
This is the post that sounds like it was written by an "outrage fetishist."

The previous post just sounded more like speculation to me.
CF84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #78
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some weird takes in this thread. So I’ll add mine.

Im glad the league was quick to investigate and I trust and respect their findings. Remember Patrick Burke (Former President and co-founded of the You-can-play Project) is the current Senior Director of Player Safety of the NHL and was no doubt consulted in this investigation.

The NHL offered a plausible explanation accompanied by supporting video to clear the incident. Morgan Rielly has attended and voiced support for Pride events in the past, including 2018. That doesn’t automatically clear him of anything, especially of using a vulgar slur that was commonplace in the league and sport in recent history, but I’m quite relieved and happy to see him exonerated in this instance.

As for “Who uses the F word anymore?” Since I became involved in coaching a couple of years ago I’ve encountered it numerous times from my players and our opponents. This has been alarming. I’ve worked to address it both as the incidents occur and now proactively, stressing the intolerance for any bigoted or hateful language on or off the hockey rink.

The younger generation is the one most affected by hurtful and vulgar sentiments, but also the most likely to perpetrate. They don’t learn these things in a vacuum.

So I applaud the NHL and Leafs for addressing and investigating this matter and am satisfied with the result.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #79
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Why would the referee lie about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because he probably hears it 50 times a game. Maybe not aimed at him specifically, but we're talking about hockey players. He gains nothing from ratting out whoever said it and there is a mutual respect between the refs and players.

You guys really think Getzlaf and Shaw are the only ones who use the word, and that both times it just happened to be caught on the mic? No, they only go after ones who get caught with no defense. If they suspended everyone who said it, then Scheifele would be the only one playing.

I'm not outraged by the incident or calling for blood. I mean, I've used the word regrettably, I'm not condoning it's use but I'm just being practical. To try and bend over backwards to pretend it didn't happen is probably the more snowflake response, mine is "of course it happened, but hopefully whoever said it learns from this and move on without destroying reputation."

Just make them watch the Hilary Duff commercial and call it a day.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #80
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I buy much of what you’re saying, except that in this case it didnt happen.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote