Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players aren’t allowed to play unless they pass physicals all the time. This is just another physical requirement.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #102
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
well, it seems he doesn't have a legitimate medical reason to not get vaccinated. He for personal reasons is choosing to place his and others health and livelihood at risk.

besides, he's not barred from making a living playing hockey, but it may limit the number of places he can work. just because you're a good hockey player doesn't give you a right to play in the NHL.

even under normal circumstances, I don't see any human rights violations.
Plus, for certain players if they get sent down they go on waivers. Other teams can pick him up. Likely he's not good enough to be worth the health (and disruption) risk to his team.

Wilde isn't eligible for waivers but he's also never played an NHL game in his career. He hasn't earned the privilege to go to an NHL camp due to a decision HE made (a decision that can be reversed in 2 weeks if he goes to a nearby Walgreens or CVS today).

Not to mention, knowing Lou, him speaking out against the org on social media means there's no going back. He's done there.

NHL teams get to decide who comes to their camp. Look at the Sharks and Evander Kane as another example.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #103
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Agree on all fronts. And yet it's honestly better for us to support these people, because it's better for everyone that they get their damn vaccine rather than locking further into the largely misguided (legitimate medical reasons notwithstanding) views...
Yep I know I am irrationally angry at these people.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #104
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Yep I know I am irrationally angry at these people.
I am vaccinated, for my own benefit, and I found this for a discussion around vaccine v. anti-vaxxer. Russel Brand is a different cat but he really explains these nuanced discussions well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfxn...l=RussellBrand
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #105
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently there is a “prominent” player on the Devils roster (not a prospect, AHLer or PTO guy) who is not yet vaccinated. As reported by the Athletic (paywall):

Quote:
The Devils said they have their own player who has not received the vaccine, but they are taking a different approach to handling and managing the situation. New Jersey’s top decision-makers would like the player to reverse his decision and join the other 49 players in camp who have been vaccinated, but they’re not going to publicly out him or pressure him as a potential means of motivation.

“It’s something that we have to deal with right now, and it’s something we are working through,” Devils coach Lindy Ruff said. “Right now, that process … we have protocol in place to take care of that. It really doesn’t change our daily routine. We just know we have some rules we have to follow.

“The players and myself understand. It’s something we are working our way through. It’s something he is working his way through. Right now it’s something we’re dealing with that we hope gets rectified.”
https://theathletic.com/2847781/2021...inated-player/

The article goes on to mention a few players (including Dougie Hamilton) who are vaccinated, so it isn’t him…
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile in the NBA... https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...covid-1231988/

I hope the 10 teams that share their arena with an NBA team have good procedures in place to keep the NHL spaces uncontaminated.

The Kings are the only team in the Pacific Division that share their building with an NBA team, which is good. Unfortunately, 3 of the Flames' first 5 games are in buildings that are shared with the NBA (although it looks like MSG should be okay because of city vaccine requirements).
Old 09-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #107
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Dhaliwal, Hamonic is considering retirement or sitting out for the season. According to Dhaliwal, Hamonic is not anti-vax.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1442541027865153542
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #108
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

You may as well retire, Travis. You bailed on the Flames in the playoffs for fear of contracting covid and giving it to your daughter - this was entirely understandable, but now you're bailing on the Canucks because you're unwilling to get vaccinated. That's fine if we're evaluating that decision in a vacuum, however, you admittedly have an immuno-compromised daughter at home, and you're not willing to get vaccinated to protect her? Retire, you're being stupid and/or a coward, and I doubt there are many that'd want you on their team after this decision.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #109
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So he’s vaccinated or at least willing to be vaccinated but is considering retirement for safety reasons? No issues if that is his thinking

Something just seems off in terms of his timeline logic. Bubble was safer than last season but he opted out for that and then opted in for the much more higher risk season where the teams were unvaccinated and were traveling

Then considering retirement this season despite every player being vaccinated, seems like this season is a lot more low risk than the last one where he played
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #110
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per Dhaliwal, Hamonic is considering retirement or sitting out for the season. According to Dhaliwal, Hamonic is not anti-vax.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1442541027865153542
Well, he didn’t really say Hamonic isn't anti vax. He said he has not heard that and that it is a “family decision”. Sounded more like a neither confirm nor deny type situation.

But none of that adds up. How can you be unvaccinated, family focused and not anti vaxx?

How is being unvaccinated helping your family? If he’s refusing to be vaccinated but isn’t “anti vaxx” that’s splitting hairs. Anyone outright refusing the vaccine is anti covid vaccine. That’s what being against the vaccine means. You can’t be pro vaccine but also refuse to get it. That’s a contradiction.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #111
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
So he’s vaccinated or at least willing to be vaccinated but is considering retirement for safety reasons? No issues if that is his thinking

Something just seems off in terms of his timeline logic. Bubble was safer than last season but he opted out for that and then opted in for the much more higher risk season where the teams were unvaccinated and were traveling

Then considering retirement this season despite every player being vaccinated, seems like this season is a lot more low risk than the last one where he played
I thought he wasn’t vaccinated. If he is vaccinated and the decision is not vaccine related but still wants to retire, then sure have at ‘er. Anyone can retire anytime for any reason. No explanation needed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #112
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic may not want to be called anti-vaxx, but if he's one of the people "waiting for the science to be settled", he's anti-vaxx.

There's a very easy way to prove otherwise.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #113
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Hamonic may not want to be called anti-vaxx, but if he's one of the people "waiting for the science to be settled", he's anti-vaxx.

There's a very easy way to prove otherwise.
With the whole Canucks will be 100% vaccinated (and the news previously that there was one player who wasn’t), sounds like he is on the fence.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind not getting vaccinated, especially with an immunocompromised child. For his, and his family’s sake, if he hasn’t, I hope he changes his mind and gets it.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #114
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1442654397607989248
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #115
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
What a selfish, lying loser.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #116
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
'member when half this board defended this piece of garbage. He quit on the Flames for his kid. No he did it for his next contract. Everything he has done in the last few years has been for himself. Selfish and entitled.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #117
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m sorry but that’s bull****. If he’s willing to play “more games” by being traded to a US team, then it’s 100% him not wanting to get vaccinated (as he can’t cross the border without having to quarantine), and has nothing to do with the health of his kid.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #118
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
'member when half this board defended this piece of garbage. He quit on the Flames for his kid. No he did it for his next contract. Everything he has done in the last few years has been for himself. Selfish and entitled.
How were the fans possibly supposed to know that at the time?

It’s not like him opting out hurt us. He was god awful that year
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #119
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
How were the fans possibly supposed to know that at the time?

It’s not like him opting out hurt us. He was god awful that year
There were more than a few that saw through his b.s. when he declined to play at the end of the 19/20 season. I immediately thought he was only making sure he didn't get hurt as he was a pending ufa. And to do that he was using his kid as an excuse. The bubble they were in would have been the safest thing he could have done for his daughter. There would have been no way he could bring covid home.

Though I do agree him quitting didn't hurt the team one bit.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #120
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe Hamonic is an anti Vax moron.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote