Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #1441
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have said , its not looking good on the Hall front. I'm not convinced a big trade is coming either. We could be looking at the same top 6 as last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #1442
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others pointed out, the question is whether you would take Tanev + Valimaki or Brodie + Hamonic.

I think I would rather go with Tanev and Valimaki. They are cheaper and Valimaki has a ton more potential to be the best player out of the 4.

Personally, I would like to see Backlund+ traded for Dumba.. and then Hanifin traded for a forward. But that won't happen most likely.

Realistically, I would like to see Rittich and Ryan traded. Bring in Greiss + Gawdin for less money. Then, trade Gaudreau for picks/prospects and sign Taylor Hall.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #1443
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
As others pointed out, the question is whether you would take Tanev + Valimaki or Brodie + Hamonic.

I think I would rather go with Tanev and Valimaki. They are cheaper and Valimaki has a ton more potential to be the best player out of the 4.

Personally, I would like to see Backlund+ traded for Dumba.. and then Hanifin traded for a forward. But that won't happen most likely.

Realistically, I would like to see Rittich and Ryan traded. Bring in Greiss + Gawdin for less money. Then, trade Gaudreau for picks/prospects and sign Taylor Hall.
There is no point trading for another top 4 RHD unless you want Andersson playing bottom pair.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #1444
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
The shake-up is still coming...

Sam Bennett & Noah Hanifin were on their way to New Jersey.

Oliver Kylington was supposedly offered up.

Derek Ryan now finds himself on the 4th line, yes a team needs four good centres but he is more than a 4th liner.

David Rittich needs to play more than 20 odd games, Artyom Zagidulin is a year older than BSD was when he first broke in his 20 NHL games.
Johnny and Kylington to Jersey for Nolan Foote and a 1st and another prospect. Sign Hall
Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #1445
danny darko
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
As others have said , its not looking good on the Hall front. I'm not convinced a big trade is coming either. We could be looking at the same top 6 as last year.
I just can't see this team starting next season with the same top 6. It's too brutally obvious that some form of change needs to be made there. I don't know if Hall is going to be a part of that new look, but something has to be done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danny darko For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #1446
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me or is the first day of free Agency a lot busier this year compared to recent years?

Just amused because the analysts thought the draft was going to be busy and FA was going to be slow. However, it has definitely been busy today.

Who are the top forwards left? Hall, Toffoli, and Hoffman?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #1447
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’m saying the assessment needs to be at the end of the day. I figure Treliving is gonna clear some cap via a Ryan trade at least.

As for right now, there was a massive upgrade in goal and a sideways/maybe slight downgrade on D, though Valimaki coming in is likely going to offset that.
I agree Markstrom is a big upgrade but in fact Flames received decent goaltending for much of the year. It’s more the stability of the position for me and having a dependable option you can count on.

Valimaki and Tanev could actually be lateral compared to Brodie and Hamonic but you have some massive injury concerns there too. Andersson and Hanifin improvement should offset Gio’s decline.

But going to be hard to improve the forward group at this point.

A Hall signing, with Gaudreau and Ryan out for futures would be a blockbuster set of moves that would rock the league. Odds are heavily against it I’d say. Let’s see what they can do.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #1448
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it just me or is the first day of free Agency a lot busier this year compared to recent years?

Just amused because the analysts thought the draft was going to be busy and FA was going to be slow. However, it has definitely been busy today.

Who are the top forwards left? Hall, Toffoli, and Hoffman?
Free agency has been much slower this year I think due to the elimination of the week long courting period. Most players already knew where they were going to sign by the time free agency started and the majority of the major UFAs were signed within the first hour or two IIRC.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #1449
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Free agency has been much slower this year I think due to the elimination of the week long courting period. Most players already knew where they were going to sign by the time free agency started and the majority of the major UFAs were signed within the first hour or two IIRC.
That might be it. Not the number of signings rather the surprises. I much more enjoy this instead of knowing where everyone is going to sign a week prior.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #1450
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Isn’t Valimaki on the team in either scenario? Yes he’s new compared to last year but never a doubt he would be on the team and just a question of where he plays.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #1451
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are seeing the impact Lucic's contract has on the team's ability to take a run at Hall or even Toffoli. That $5.25M would come in handy right now. Mind you, you can look at Backlund and Ryan's contracts and say the same. Those are some really ugly contracts. I still say they sign Hall or Toffoli and then move Gaudreau and another piece.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #1452
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I agree Markstrom is a big upgrade but in fact Flames received decent goaltending for much of the year. It’s more the stability of the position for me and having a dependable option you can count on.

Valimaki and Tanev could actually be lateral compared to Brodie and Hamonic but you have some massive injury concerns there too. Andersson and Hanifin improvement should offset Gio’s decline.

But going to be hard to improve the forward group at this point.

A Hall signing, with Gaudreau and Ryan out for futures would be a blockbuster set of moves that would rock the league. Odds are heavily against it I’d say. Let’s see what they can do.
Not sure that Valimaki/Tanev are bigger injury concerns than any pairing with Hamonic in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #1453
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also wonder if Hamonic gets squeezed and signs in Calgary for 1 year at like $1 MM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #1454
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still think Johnny gets moved and it’s philly. Konecny, frost, 2021 first for Johnny and Ryan.

Sign Hall or Toffoli
Old 10-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #1455
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I still think Johnny gets moved and it’s philly. Konecny, frost, 2021 first for Johnny and Ryan.

Sign Hall or Toffoli
Johnny is not on the block.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #1456
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Says who?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #1457
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post

Sign Hall or Toffoli
That would be nice.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #1458
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone on HF commented that they saw on TSN that Hall is waiting for his preferred destination to clear cap space. Anyone confirm? Bruins have the space, Avs too.

Montreal maybe?

The homer in me says Calgary is his 'preferred' destination. ;-)

Last edited by JurassicTunga12; 10-09-2020 at 10:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #1459
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Renaud Lavoie said he was.
Be he also said the trade would happen preferably before free agency.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #1460
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m guessing Treliving has reached out to Hall and asked him to consider a reduced AAV at any term he wishes to come home and be a big difference maker in taking us to that next level. Especially now that he’s got that elusive true #1 goalie locked up long term. Might look like an appealing situation for a Calgary kid. I know I’d do it if I was ever blessed enough to have the opportunity to do so. And I’ll bet he’s seriously considering it but has to see what his other options are because there just might be too good an offer to pass up.

We’ll see.

Go with your heart Taylor!
Closed Thread