Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #13221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
CBJ makes the most sense to me for Eichel at this point. A team acquiring him shouldn't be banking on success next season.

After they move out Jones (perhaps Frost or Patrick included, who would serve as a key piece for BUF) and Domi they'll have plenty of assets to package with Laine and a goalie.

And they're out of division.
Is a selfish player Laine really the type of player the Sabres would be targeting? He doesn't seem like a character guy to help take them out of their doldrums. The Sabres should be targeting higher character players if they want to turn things around IMO.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #13222
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel makes so much sense for the Flames. This is a team that is not interested in rebuilding at all and they are also a team that lacked that true game breaking talent this year.

It is incredibly rare to see a 25 year old top line C on the trade block with 5 years left on his deal. The Flames are a great trade partner for Buffalo. Sending the player to small market western Canada is something Buffalo would prefer to an eastern team or big high profile market like LA or Chicago.

The Flames can offer a potential franchise player in Tkachuk to Buffalo who could also make an aggressive play for Brady this summer as well who is a RFA. I don’t know how much of a plus the Flames need to add. Maybe the 12th pick, maybe more, maybe less?

Gaudreau wanting to stay gives the Flames a top player to pair with Eichel for the next 5 years. Losing Gio to Seattle gives the Flames cap flexibility (losing Lucic or Backlund also helps in that regard).

Getting Eichel gives the Flames a new look and actually allows them to do a competitive retool with the current team and push into contention.

Hopefully the Flames support the procedure Eichel wants to get because apparently it has a 3 month recovery time and it is what he wants which could bring a happy and motivated player.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #13223
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole Eichel thing seems like it could be one of those “stars aligning” things. Kings and Rangers backing out for various reasons. Flames desperately need a superstar C. Eichel is the perfect age to fit with the rest of the team. I don’t know if it will happen but it could.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #13224
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Eichel makes so much sense for the Flames. This is a team that is not interested in rebuilding at all and they are also a team that lacked that true game breaking talent this year.

It is incredibly rare to see a 25 year old top line C on the trade block with 5 years left on his deal. The Flames are a great trade partner for Buffalo. Sending the player to small market western Canada is something Buffalo would prefer to an eastern team or big high profile market like LA or Chicago.

The Flames can offer a potential franchise player in Tkachuk to Buffalo who could also make an aggressive play for Brady this summer as well who is a RFA. I don’t know how much of a plus the Flames need to add. Maybe the 12th pick, maybe more, maybe less?

Gaudreau wanting to stay gives the Flames a top player to pair with Eichel for the next 5 years. Losing Gio to Seattle gives the Flames cap flexibility (losing Lucic or Backlund also helps in that regard).

Getting Eichel gives the Flames a new look and actually allows them to do a competitive retool with the current team and push into contention.

Hopefully the Flames support the procedure Eichel wants to get because apparently it has a 3 month recovery time and it is what he wants which could bring a happy and motivated player.
Agree with all this except that I believe Seattle will not be selecting Gio, Lucic or Backlund. They will be taking Ryan or one of the prospects.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #13225
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The whole Eichel thing seems like it could be one of those “stars aligning” things. Kings and Rangers backing out for various reasons. Flames desperately need a superstar C. Eichel is the perfect age to fit with the rest of the team. I don’t know if it will happen but it could.
I think playing against McDavid regularly would bring out the best in Eichel too. I remember hearing quotes from his draft year that he considered himself in the same tier as McDavid. I feel like he would relish the chance to beat McDavid on a regular basis. It would certainly make the BOA more interesting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #13226
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Agree with all this except that I believe Seattle will not be selecting Gio, Lucic or Backlund. They will be taking Ryan or one of the prospects.
From an asset perspective Gio makes the most sense by far. He is at the very least worth a 2nd++ at the deadline with his salary retained. I don’t know if any of the exposed prospects are worth that? Ryan certainly isn’t.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #13227
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From an asset perspective Gio makes the most sense by far. He is at the very least worth a 2nd++ at the deadline with his salary retained. I don’t know if any of the exposed prospects are worth that? Ryan certainly isn’t.
But maybe they actually want to use players long term. Kylington is an interesting option for them IMO.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #13228
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

From Seattle’s perspective, they would be using up a lot of cap room for Gio. Could they use that $6M to take a bad contract from another team and get a 1st round pick/good young player from that team in return?
Old 06-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #13229
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I remember hearing quotes from his draft year that he considered himself in the same tier as McDavid.
Nah. He thought he was a tier above

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...onnor-mcdavid/
Old 06-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #13230
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan hanifin and dube

For

Eichel

Buffalo can protect all 3 and the flames would fix their protect issues and cap in vs cap out is about the same

Flames have plenty of winger prospects to replace dube.

Eichel is a massive upgrade on monahan

Flames sign a veteran d man to replace hanifin

Buffalo gets 3 guys ready to play which quite often teams like Buffalo want in deals like this
Old 06-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #13231
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m surprised so many people are now in favour of bringing in Eichel.

Pros:
- he’s a star centre
- under contract
- gives the team another look and retool to go for it

Cons:
- he’ll be costly in a trade, potentially even high licks going back
- injury concerns
- direction unclear on what the flames do with the rest of the team

To me, I don’t mind bringing him in at the cost of Monahan plus. Another team would easily trump that. If the team did bad this upcoming season with a guy like Eichel, I’d trade him for a rebuild immediately. My concern about giving away assets and picks is you essentially say you’re going at it again and looking to strengthen what you have more or less. The problem with the flames is they have no star and the depth isn’t good enough. The guys who they have which are paid first line bucks are putting up second line stats. The only way of getting through this in my mind is to deal any combination of the top three, for picks and prospects, tank this upcoming year and make a run for it in three years. Prolonging it by getting Eichel is a bad idea if the likely cost is high.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #13232
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames are in a position where they don't have a lot to lose by swinging for the fences. They aren't in the middle of a rebuild to derail and aren't good enough in their current iteration to contend for a cup. May as well go for broke as they don't have a lot to lose as they are already straddling the line of irrelevance.
This x1000

What do the Flames have to lose? They are already as mediocre as it gets and they are not going to tear it down to start over.

Swing for thw fences please. Eichel fills the biggest need this team has right now, being an elite top line C in his prime plus he's a right shot as an added bonus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #13233
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel changes the window from a panic “all in” with mediocre signings (as we’ve done for YEARS) to a team that has a legitimate shot for the next 5 years. I wouldn’t expect Eichel to re-sign here, but that’s another problem for another day down the line. Fact of the matter is you have what it takes to win a cup with Eichel, Lindholm, and Backlund as your top 3 centers for center depth.

It HAS to get done. Treliving better be in daily chat with Buffalo because I think we have what it takes to get this deal done. Wallstedt/McTavish/Sillinger/Lysell would be a perfect 2nd pick for Buffalo. It has made way too much sense while typing this out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #13234
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames don't rebuild I assume they will try to and probably resign Tkachuk and Gaudreau. IMO the Flames organization from their current roster to their prospects to their draft picks all have the same issue. Quantity over quality. They have a roster loaded in winger talent and a prospect pool loaded in winger talent. They refuse to rebuild but at what point is all this winger talent useless? They only have 8 wingers on the roster. If they keep Johnny and Tkachuk and everyone agrees Mangiapane is a keeper what value is it to have Zary, Pelletier, Dube, probably another winger with their first, Phillips, Ruzicka when the top 3 spots could be taken for the next 4-6 years. Some of these guys just don't fit the 3rd and 4th line roles either and this doesn't include some other quality prospects that probably will fit the 3rd and 4th line roles.

If Johnny signs for $8.5 and Tkachuk for $9 if you move out Monahan, Hanifin and Dube for Eichel the cap isn't that tight.

Valimaki - 2 years $1.5 mil
Mackey - 1 year $700k
Phillips - 1 year $700k
Ryan - 2 years $1.5 mil
Stone - 2 years $1.5 mil
Gawdin - 1 year $700k
Back up goalie - 1 year $1 mil

They would still have about $7 mil in cap space and next year they would have 18 guys signed and about $11 mil cap (assuming $81.5)

Monahan out help 2 summers from now as you don't need to resgn him.

If they sign a $5 mil dman that will give them depth this year and a replacement for Gio the following.

I prefer I rebuild but if it isn't happening Eichel is a must. When else can the Flames land a superstar and not have to worry about what the player wants or where the prefer to sign or that player having a NTC/NMC. Not often does this happen so even if we have to add our first in the deal it needs to happen
Old 06-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #13235
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Monahan hanifin and dube

For

Eichel

Buffalo can protect all 3 and the flames would fix their protect issues and cap in vs cap out is about the same

Flames have plenty of winger prospects to replace dube.

Eichel is a massive upgrade on monahan

Flames sign a veteran d man to replace hanifin

Buffalo gets 3 guys ready to play which quite often teams like Buffalo want in deals like this
I have been saying I think Monahan and a Hanifin should be the primary NHL pieces too.

I do wonder since Buffalo is highly likely to draft Power if Hanifin will make sense now given that Dahlin and Power are also LHed.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #13236
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I have been saying I think Monahan and a Hanifin should be the primary NHL pieces too.

I do wonder since Buffalo is highly likely to draft Power if Hanifin will make sense now given that Dahlin and Power are also LHed.
I was hoping for them not to win the draft lottery because of this. But I do think they will still be interested in Hanifin as Power is probably a few years away for being a top 2 dman. They could use Hanifin now and trade him for an asset in a couple years.

Buffalo probably needs a center back for Eichel more than anything and Dube maybe could be a center as well. I hope the Flames can keep their first and both Zary and Pelletier but if one has to be added I think you still do it.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #13237
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo could also flip Hanifin or Power to LA by moving down in the draft and grabbing one of LA’s top center prospects. Leave it to the hands of Buffalo.

I would’ve liked to keep Hanifin, but if we have to trade him then so be it.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #13238
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Had a feeling Hall wanted to play for the Flames last season, if it is true he wants to be back in Alberta that would give us some added scoring. If Eichel is on IR for longer we would have a good group to work with.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #13239
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Buffalo could also flip Hanifin or Power to LA by moving down in the draft and grabbing one of LA’s top center prospects. Leave it to the hands of Buffalo.

I would’ve liked to keep Hanifin, but if we have to trade him then so be it.
LA could be a great trade partner for Buffalo after a deal like this. Doughty has already called them out that they need to start winning and can't be sitting on all these prospects. I could see Hanifin being a great fit in LA and Buffalo could add maybe add one of their prospects.

Of course LA probably will make a run at Eichel too and if Buffalo is looking for less now and more future then they will probably out bid us
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #13240
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I think playing against McDavid regularly would bring out the best in Eichel too. I remember hearing quotes from his draft year that he considered himself in the same tier as McDavid. I feel like he would relish the chance to beat McDavid on a regular basis. It would certainly make the BOA more interesting
Watching Eichel shoot, it is like he is shooting through a lazar beam from everywhere and scores.. Johnny is am elite passer, if Johnny played well with Monahan he is going to love playing with Eichel. This would be a fantastic upgrade on our top line. Eichel, and Elias down the middle would be a very solid top 2 lines. We have options with Backlund and Monahan both being centers, or can convert one to the wing.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread