Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #13201
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I am guessing most people putting trade proposals for Thomas have seen him play for less then 3 games and have no idea is/how good his is!

This seems to be the way these things work - 1 Person throws out a new players name the Flames could acquire, and then 20 variations for the same player are proposed.

All of a sudden everyone is an expert on the player and for some reason he is exactly what the team needs!
Robert Thomas is an excellent young player. The first time I noticed him was the 2017 CHL Prospects game. I thought he and Kailer Yamamato stood out to me the most.

After the game, I was convinced that Nico Hischier would go #1 and also that the Flames should draft Robert Thomas as he would ultimately be a better player than Nolan Patrick who was super underwhelming. Still can’t believe Patrick went #2, his game was so basic and his skating left a lot to be desired.

Was equally surprised when Thomas fell to 20 and Yamamato fell to 22. If Thomas does end up on the block at all, I think a lot of teams will be lining up.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 06-10-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #13202
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talking on the FAN about Eichel and Friedman has said he is definitely being traded this summer.

Also discussing rumors that the Kings are not really interested anymore
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #13203
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Talking on the FAN about Eichel and Friedman has said he is definitely being traded this summer.

Flames need to be in on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #13204
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:

Didn't the Rangers drop out too?

Doesn't that leave us only as the primary team that were legitimately interested?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #13205
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This makes sense to me.

The Kings are building something pretty fantastic there, and are very strong at centre ice going forward. Eichel just isn't the fit for what they should be going after.

Wingers and Defence are what I would imagine they're targeting - and they've been rumoured to be after a younger top-end defenceman since the deadline.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #13206
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Kings not being interested anymore raises my eyebrows. I thought they would be all in, and that was based on Kings insiders I've read/heard on the radio.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #13207
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Link to the tweeted highlights / transcript

https://twitter.com/user/status/1403008991895212032
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #13208
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Link to the tweeted highlights / transcript

https://twitter.com/user/status/1403008991895212032
Interesting
Quote:
Friedman - If John Hoven writes that the Kings are out on #Sabres captain Jack Eichel, then there's a greater than 0% chance that that's exactly what's happening.

If he's writing that, someone is very legitimately telling him that. #LetsGoBuffalo
WGR 550
@WGR550
·
3h
Friedman - No one will go on record and say it, but there are teams that agree with the #Sabres medical staff on Eichel's recovery plan, and there are teams that don't.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #13209
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Kings not being interested anymore raises my eyebrows. I thought they would be all in, and that was based on Kings insiders I've read/heard on the radio.
Comments some teams agree with the Sabres approach to the neck injury which could impact the Kings thoughts.

Basically are teams in agreement with the procedure Eichel wants which by all accounts would have him ready for the start of next season
Old 06-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #13210
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If teams better than the Flames are backing out on Eichel, I think the Flames should too. That's a pretty major injury. People don't want Patrick because of migraines but want major neck surgery?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #13211
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This makes sense to me.

The Kings are building something pretty fantastic there, and are very strong at centre ice going forward. Eichel just isn't the fit for what they should be going after.

Wingers and Defence are what I would imagine they're targeting - and they've been rumoured to be after a younger top-end defenceman since the deadline.
Would be shocked if they made a Laine/Jones blockbuster at the draft but I do think they are after a left shot D. Also rumored to want 2 top 6 forwards
Old 06-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #13212
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was always speculation driven by "they have the prospects to get it done", but if you look at the make-up of their team and their prospect base...the question would be "why would they?"

Why would they trade Quinton Byfield in a deal for Eichel? Byfield is younger, and is projecting to be a significant player. They also have Vilardi, Thomas, Turcotte, and Kupari. That team is stacked with centres going forward, and they're all being led by Kopitar.

The Kings never made sense.

I would imagine you'll see the Kings target guys like Jones/Tarasenko. Defensemen and Wingers.

Quote:
Would be shocked if they made a Laine/Jones blockbuster at the draft but I do think they are after a left shot D. Also rumored to want 2 top 6 forwards
Yeah, Jones doesn't make much sense to me either. Laine is interesting because of Laine's (rumoured) long-term hopes of playing in a beach city.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-10-2021 at 01:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #13213
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they’d be crazy to rush the rebuild, but wouldn’t surprise me.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #13214
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I think they’d be crazy to rush the rebuild, but wouldn’t surprise me.
I think we'll see two organizations take two different paths this summer.

I think we'll see LA keep building much the way they have - and potentially go out and acquire some age appropriate players (Laine?) that fill needs.

...on the flip side, I think we'll see the Rangers rush things this off-season. Eichel makes a lot more sense in NYR than LA. NYR has drafted high, but it has been wingers - unlike LA, who have snagged Centres.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #13215
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Kings management was reported to have recently said yes they would start adding players and exit the rebuild essentially. That dovetailed into Eichel talk naturally but if they really covet a young defenseman and wingers more this makes things a lot more interesting. Not necessarily better for other teams, but interesting.

Some light info under the "Looking ahead" section

https://lakingsinsider.com/2021/03/2...the-franchise/

The Eichel talk obviously not there but was had in aforementioned radio discussion with Kings insiders

Last edited by Toonage; 06-10-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #13216
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think we'll see two organizations take two different paths this summer.

I think we'll see LA keep building much the way they have - and potentially go out and acquire some age appropriate players (Laine?) that fill needs.

...on the flip side, I think we'll see the Rangers rush things this off-season. Eichel makes a lot more sense in NYR than LA. NYR has drafted high, but it has been wingers - unlike LA, who have snagged Centres.
To Whoever Runs the New York Rangers:

Please include Adam Fox in your trade proposal for Eichel.

Thank you.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #13217
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings probably will be players for Hamilton IMO.

And then I could see them making a deal with a team that doesn't want to lose somebody for free in expansion draft to add a forward.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #13218
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If teams better than the Flames are backing out on Eichel, I think the Flames should too. That's a pretty major injury. People don't want Patrick because of migraines but want major neck surgery?
Eichel is a proven star centre. Patrick isn’t
All comes down to cost
If this is a buy low opportunity on a superstar number 1 centre then it needs to be considered heavily
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #13219
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBJ makes the most sense to me for Eichel at this point. A team acquiring him shouldn't be banking on success next season.

After they move out Jones (perhaps Frost or Patrick included, who would serve as a key piece for BUF) and Domi they'll have plenty of assets to package with Laine and a goalie.

And they're out of division.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #13220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Eichel is a proven star centre. Patrick isn’t
All comes down to cost
If this is a buy low opportunity on a superstar number 1 centre then it needs to be considered heavily
Flames are in a position where they don't have a lot to lose by swinging for the fences. They aren't in the middle of a rebuild to derail and aren't good enough in their current iteration to contend for a cup. May as well go for broke as they don't have a lot to lose as they are already straddling the line of irrelevance.
Closed Thread