Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #3481
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I agree they won’t want Johnny for Laine. Think if they are talking to Calgary they are asking for Anderson . This is what I think it would take to get Laine at the bare minimum..... Anderson , Mangiapane and a 1st .
lol, how about no? That would be a terrible trade for Calgary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #3482
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
lol, how about no? That would be a terrible trade for Calgary

by no means am i saying that calgary should make that trade. I was saying from Jets side thats what they probably would want from Calgary for Laine. Don't see flames as trade partners for Laine. The johnny for Laine posts are laughable. I see no reasons why the jets would want Johnny back for Laine. THey will want a a very good dman with term back as the main part.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #3483
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see a trade between CGY and WPG either. And I don't want Laine, as he is likely going to cost $9Mish. Plus give up a ton of assets to acquire him? No thanks.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #3484
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don’t get the Why people were so willing to hand Hall a contract but not willing to go after Laine? I guess purely for the fact we have to give assets to get it done?

In my opinion he is much better then Hall and he actually plays the position that we need.

If we can somehow keep Johnny and Money and have him on the right side! That top line would be scary!

Honestly with us pretty much having a 2 year window I would be all in on Laine.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #3485
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Johnny was drafted when Burke was in the Toronto Org.
Burke said, "Those guys in Calgary that were there when I drafted." He did not say those players in Calgary whom he drafted.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #3486
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That’s not the point. Burke was quoted as if he knew that Gaudreau was going to be a Flame for the long haul. I don’t think that’s something even Treliving knows.
I think BT has a good idea one way or the other on Gaudreau at this point.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #3487
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think BT has a good idea one way or the other on Gaudreau at this point.
Why is that? His contract expires in two years, a lot can happen.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #3488
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
So much talk about Johnny because of his contract expiring, but so is Tkachuk (recognize he'll be a RFA, but still applies) and Monahan's in the next few years. Yet there's not really talk about them leaving? Why is it assumed they'll want to stick around? But Johnny won't?

Until the player is re-signed for a long term extension, no one is guaranteed to leave, or stay.

Last edited by Joborule; 10-18-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #3489
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Tkachuk is set to be an RFA when his contract expires. And, as silly as it may sound, Monahan is Canadian.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #3490
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Sure but that does not mean BT has not spoken to Johnny about the future. It would be crazy to think he hasn't.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #3491
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know it's not confirmed yet, but if there is a Canadian division, do you think it'll impact potential trades this coming season? As in, Canadian division teams will be unlikely to trade with US division teams as they would likely have to quarantine the player for 2 weeks before they can use him?

Also, do you think players currently on US teams would contemplate waiving NTC's/NMC's to a Canadian team to get themselves to a Country taking the virus a little more seriously (politically)? Or the opposite - players wanting out of Canada as they don't want to be stuck here with no nice warm road trips to California or Florida in the middle of winter?

Just some thoughts on the potential repercussions of such a division...

Last edited by BsFaninCGY; 10-18-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #3492
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Burke said, "Those guys in Calgary that were there when I drafted." He did not say those players in Calgary whom he drafted.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Exactly. Which means no one wants those guys or those contracts so they’re stuck with em and might as well keep em for 10 years.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #3493
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not the point. Burke was quoted as if he knew that Gaudreau was going to be a Flame for the long haul. I don’t think that’s something even Treliving knows.
I read that quote more along the lines of “the guys I had in Calgary will be in the league for another ten years” not “they’re going to be in Calgary for ten years”.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #3494
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't want Laine on the Flames.

He does have an awesome elite-level shot - unquestionably.
He does not play defence.
He does not play physical.
He does not make other players around him better.
He does not live like a pro or seem interested in working on his craft.

If he ever snaps and decides to be a pro and work on his craft, and start moving his legs out there, he can be an elite franchise level winger that only come along every so often. His gifts are enormous.

However, raise your hand up if you have seen him take over a game, or be the best player on the ice, or leave you feeling like you just watched a great player have a great game. What, no hands?

I am constantly underwhelmed by his game. People complained non-stop about Jankowski's compete level - but Jankowski did battle along the boards, did skate hard on the backcheck, etc. Wait until you get a load of Laine who just always looks disinterested unless he looks like he is going to have an opportunity to score.

His next contract is going to be big, but there is a damn good reason that Laine rumours are surfacing. He is not a committed player. He has almost all the tools you could hope for, and it comes in a really great toolbox as well. Unfortunately, he is missing the one tool that every player in the NHL needs - a willingness to compete. He is underwhelming almost every time I watch him play.

Johnny has underwhelming results at times, no question. However, I rarely feel like Johnny is taking a night off. I can see that some things aren't clicking in his game, and he sometimes is a victim of his own frustration out there, but I do think he generally works hard out there, and there has been MANY nights where I thought he was the best player on the ice for both teams and was a hugely impactful player. I don't see that with Laine - I mean, it happens soooo rarely.

Laine's value is more than Gaudreau's, unquestionably. Laine has the tools to be an elite goal scorer, and I do think that he will break 50 goals in a season. However, he is NOT Ovechkin-level, contrary to what people insist.

52, 46, 65, 56 vs 36, 44, 30, 28. Those are the first 4 seasons's worth of goals for Ovechkin and Laine respectively. Not even close. Sure, the last number was this shortened season, but let's not lose sight of the fact that it would have been highly unlikely of Laine to score 28 goals MORE in the remaining games of the cancelled season to reach Ovechkin's 56. Laine is not trending in that direction.

He will be overpaid on his next deal by a long shot, and though he scores a good amount of goals, he brings nothing else to the team. Nothing. If he wakes up and decides to be committed? He will be one of the NHL's brightest stars for the next decade, and GMs will be paying him as such on his next deal hoping that they can turn him around.

Gaudreau's value is lower - unquestionably - but it is funny how I think he has been much more of a game-breaker than Laine. Give me Kyle Connor or Mark Scheifele any day of the week over Laine - those guys help you win and will be stars in this league for a long time to come.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #3495
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
I don’t get the Why people were so willing to hand Hall a contract but not willing to go after Laine? I guess purely for the fact we have to give assets to get it done?

In my opinion he is much better then Hall and he actually plays the position that we need.

If we can somehow keep Johnny and Money and have him on the right side! That top line would be scary!

Honestly with us pretty much having a 2 year window I would be all in on Laine.
Because Hall only cost cap space; Laine would cost significant assets to acquire, plus a significant amount of cap space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #3496
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I wouldn't want Laine on the Flames.

He does have an awesome elite-level shot - unquestionably.
He does not play defence.
He does not play physical.
He does not make other players around him better.
He does not live like a pro or seem interested in working on his craft.

Reminds me of a great Russian player, Alexander Semin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #3497
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure but that does not mean BT has not spoken to Johnny about the future. It would be crazy to think he hasn't.
But he doesn’t know. He can guess. And I doubt he’s spoken to Burke about it.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #3498
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
So much talk about Johnny because of his contract expiring, but so is Tkachuk (recognize he'll be a RFA, but still applies) and Monahan's in the next few years. Yet there's not really talk about them leaving? Why is it assumed they'll want to stick around? But Johnny won't?

Until the player is re-signed for a long term extension, no one is guaranteed to leave, or stay.
If Tkachuk leaves we get a return.

As for SM vs. JG:

1. Monahan's NTC is less restrictive.
2. We already have two other top line wingers and two promising top six wingers. It's much harder to replace C's.
3. Prospect depth at wing is deeper than C; including lots of small forwards (who have an uphill battle to find a role with Johnny on the team)
4. Playoff even strength points since JG's rookie year: 5-2 (19 gp for both).

At this point, it's all moot though. It's a terrible trade environment and this team is pretty clearly pushing hard for an immediate window. Highly unlikely a trade involving JG can make any sense until mid-season, if at all.

Hall floating out there again as a prospective TDL and/or UFA acquisition does not help matters. Hoffman and Duclair are also available on the cheap right now.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #3499
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
But he doesn’t know. He can guess. And I doubt he’s spoken to Burke about it.

The point wasn’t really about Johnny up from telling Tre something and Tre telling something to Burke

It is simply that Burke made a remark that implied a lot of players that were there when he left projected as long timers. The context Burke has is basically the lifetime around the game, and him personally knowing a lot of these players

Maybe he views them as the type to be loyal lifers. Franchises need those type of players.

We all know Burke can’t actually get inside Johnny’s head and he can’t know the future. But he sure has a lot more exposure to the people, and views on what makes them tick, than any of us here

That’s all
Old 10-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #3500
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any interest around here on us going after Zdeno Chara? Seems like such a Calgary flames move in my opinion.
Closed Thread