Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #3241
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Why not this swap Tanev and Valimaki? Tanev could give Kylington the Hughes mentor treatment.
Because the Flames are paying Tanev to play against top players, not shelter on the 3rd pair.
If Valimaki plays as well as Hughes maybe we will see him and Tanev together....on the first pair
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #3242
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tanev will play with Hanifin. I expect that pair to be outstanding.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #3243
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd keep Hanifin and Andersson together, since they seem to have chemistry and roll with Gio and Tanev as top pairing (or possibly 2nd pairing, depending on Gio?)

Tanev could allow Gio to be more offensive, since none of the other d are likely to put up big scoring numbers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #3244
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I would think it will be as follows;

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - TBD

7th dman Kylington
Kylington should be getting some consistent bottom line minutes going into next season.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #3245
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The option exists to nearly roll three pairings. Then let special teams sort out ice time. I know it's been a long time since the Flames had any kind of reliable depth. Having a third pairing that isn't a sheltered piece of #### is a good thing.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #3246
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I’d be putting Johnny with Backlund if they go into season with same top 9. Johnny needs a center who can drive the play and enter the O zone. This is something Ward should have done in the Dallas series .
Bennett does that. It is time to give Bennett the reins as a top 6 C .
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #3247
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Bennett does that. It is time to give Bennett the reins as a top 6 C .
Sorry disagree . Bennett was great in the playoffs as the 3rd line C. Now it is time to see if Bennnet can continue that in the regular season. Start him at 3C and see if he can take the next step to go top 6. No chance I’m gifting Bennet top 6 center ,considering his regular season play in the past has been underwhelming.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #3248
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the line is Dube-Bennett-x, that's gonna be a hard line to deal with, no matter what you number it
Old 10-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #3249
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Kylington should be getting some consistent bottom line minutes going into next season.
Not sure if he is ready, he will need a strong training camp.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #3250
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'd keep Hanifin and Andersson together, since they seem to have chemistry and roll with Gio and Tanev as top pairing (or possibly 2nd pairing, depending on Gio?)

Tanev could allow Gio to be more offensive, since none of the other d are likely to put up big scoring numbers
Interesting, I would say that Gio is getting older and his offensive play probably will be scaled back. The Flames need more from Anderson on the top pair, he just needs to work on his shot.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #3251
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those that have a subscription to The Athletic, this is an entertaining read on a bit of an inside view of the Canes' War Room on Draft Day.

https://theathletic.com/2130489/2020...d-free-agency/

Quote:
Dundon takes a chair near the door and settles into his role as moderator. If there is an NHL owner who takes a more hands-on approach to things like the draft, we are unaware of who that owner is. Dundon opens discussions by outlining his plans to ensure the Hurricanes are part of the conversation if a certain top NHL star on a team with a world of salary cap issues formally comes onto the marketplace as has been rumored to be the case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #3252
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
If the line is Dube-Bennett-x, that's gonna be a hard line to deal with, no matter what you number it
He may not be ready just yet, but I want to see Ruzika in that spot if there is a preseason game this coming year. Guy is big fast has hands. Can take strongside face offs and would be forced to bring it everynight or go down to the Ahl.

I think he may have some edge and bite in his game as well. He can go back to centre when Ryan moves on.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #3253
Futzee
Farm Team Player

Exp:

How about Laine and a pick for Gaudreau? Who says no? Or would it have to be a straight up swap - no picks? Laine is younger and RFA but Gaudreau under contract for 2 years at a bargain vs just 1 yr left for Laine. Interesting way to shake things up.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #3254
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Sorry disagree . Bennett was great in the playoffs as the 3rd line C. Now it is time to see if Bennnet can continue that in the regular season. Start him at 3C and see if he can take the next step to go top 6. No chance I’m gifting Bennet top 6 center ,considering his regular season play in the past has been underwhelming.
Bennett has consistently been given the team's worst players as linemates: Brouwer, Jankowski, Neal, Jagr, etc.

Give him a legit shot in the top 6. He deserves it from how he's performed in the playoffs. The same can't be said about Gaudreau and Monahan.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #3255
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futzee View Post
How about Laine and a pick for Gaudreau? Who says no? Or would it have to be a straight up swap - no picks? Laine is younger and RFA but Gaudreau under contract for 2 years at a bargain vs just 1 yr left for Laine. Interesting way to shake things up.
The Flames would not have enough playmakers.

I'd rather see Monahan for Laine (contract extended). That addresses WPG's centre depth issue and gives the Flames a true sniper while losing a somewhat true sniper.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Laine
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #3256
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
He may not be ready just yet, but I want to see Ruzika in that spot if there is a preseason game this coming year. Guy is big fast has hands. Can take strongside face offs and would be forced to bring it everynight or go down to the Ahl.

I think he may have some edge and bite in his game as well. He can go back to centre when Ryan moves on.
Has he improved his acceleration? He does have hands.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #3257
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if the arbitration hearings are slowing things down with some trades. Once certain players are done trades will probably pick up.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #3258
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Jets proposed Laine for Gaudreau straight up, would Tre say no?
Old 10-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #3259
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have constantly been one of Bennett's biggest supporters on this site, but I think it would be wrong to thrust him into the top 6 right now. I don't think the extra pressure will necessarily help, or to suddenly raise expectations on him. Just feed him regular and consistent minutes as the 3rd line centre and let him grow his game. That's already a step for him. I think he has the ability to be more than that, but let him develop for now, gain some confidence and reps and see what happens. It is great if he pushes a centre in front of him down - that's what should happen. He hasn't pushed anyone down yet. Hartley was fairly good about 'earned, not given' and I think the Flames should utilize that philosophy with Bennett - but also actually give him a chance at succeeding.

Monahan has consistently produced like a 1st line centre. Backlund has been the backbone of this team with his hard minutes which has allowed every other line a bit of a free ride in zone starts and quality of competition. Neither one deserves to be demoted, at the very least not until someone actually passes one of them.

I love Bennett, and I think he is still a very important piece to this team, and this team should be doing what it can to help him along. I just don't think he should be a top 6 centre yet - I think he will be, but let him earn it, let him push himself up, but give him the tools and the time to get there. I would love to see another player brought in so that Lucic gets pushed down to the 4th line - preferably having a top line RW added so it creates a cascade downwards, and if not, see who else is skilled and earns a spot there this year, even off of a PTO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #3260
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this stage, I'm hoping for a Gaudreau for Ekblad swap, and then a follow up trade where Hanifin is moved for a top 6 forward (or making space to sign one).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread