Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2021, 10:31 PM   #701
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada to ban the sale of new gas powered light vehicles by 2035. My bet is that gets bumped up significantly.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/climat...tric-1.5490151

Quote:
The Liberal government announced Tuesday it's speeding up its goal for when it wants to see every new light-duty vehicle sold in Canada to be electric.

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said that by 2035, all new cars and light-duty trucks sold in the country will be zero-emission vehicles.

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 06-29-2021 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #702
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Canada to ban the sale of new gas powered light vehicles by 2035. My bet is that gets bumped up significantly.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/climat...tric-1.5490151
Honestly, I think the market itself beats 2035 by quite a bit.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:51 PM   #703
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, definitely a lot of innovation and upgrades in manufacturing capabilities can happen within 13-14 years so I don’t doubt we can achieve that.

I just hope our recycling capabilities are there. I mean we have troubles recycling now, we should iron our issues out. Everything is finite.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #704
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

BEVs are great and make the most sense at this time and we'll into it future for light vehicles, no question. Infrastructure is easier and quicker to implement than H2 so it makes sense BEV adoption will move at a more rapid pace right now. It was our fastest path to start helping the climate.

Hydrogen fuelcells are the solution for aviation, shipping, trucking, off grid power, and backup power. Hydrogen is the most abundant source of energy in the world but harnessing it efficiently is the key.

Keep in mind 10-15 years ago much the same arguments were made against BEV's but year over year advancements were made to drive costs down and increase efficiency of battery packs. The same will happen with hydrogen as it's at an inflection point now and countries are investing in the technology along with industry, oil and gas etc.

Also keep in mind that we are already battery constrained and that mining the rare earth metals required for BEV's will become more and more challenging as time goes on and as more manufacturers ramp up their BEV production. Mining is also not exactly environmentally friendly.

I think we'll see good adoption of BEV's over the next 15 years As H2 production matures and costs are driven down it's possible we'll get to a point where we transition to H2 being the primary fuel for mobility.

The world needs a multi faceted approach to combat climate change.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #705
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hydrogen isn't a source of energy. Hydrogen is just a different form of battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #706
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #707
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The Cybertruck has been removed from Tesla’s website.

It’s probably not completely dead, but that’s not a good look for Tesla. Most knowledgeable people have known that the likelihood of Tesla hitting the targeted pricing fir that vehicle was a pipe dream anytime in the next couple years.

Rivian is starting to ship trucks, Ford Lightning will likely start next year. Tesla has never looked close to delivering Cybertruck.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #708
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect it's due to battery allocation issues. The Cybertruck is going to use more batteries than a car. Given their low price target, they probably feel making 1.3 cars per Cybertruck(or whatever the ratio is) is more profitable. I think we'll see lots of these types of things going forward, as companies realize batteries are the real limiting factor. It's also why the Tesla semi doesn't make a lot of sense.

This bodes well for my bet with my brother the Ford Lighting would outsell the Cybertruck. Yay me.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #709
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I suspect it's due to battery allocation issues. The Cybertruck is going to use more batteries than a car. Given their low price target, they probably feel making 1.3 cars per Cybertruck(or whatever the ratio is) is more profitable. I think we'll see lots of these types of things going forward, as companies realize batteries are the real limiting factor. It's also why the Tesla semi doesn't make a lot of sense.

This bodes well for my bet with my brother the Ford Lighting would outsell the Cybertruck. Yay me.
That bet is money in the bank already.

The advertised pricing fir the Cybertruck was known to be out to lunch for a while already. It’s way bigger and heavier than their other vehicles, so would require significantly more battery capacity, and was the cheapest vehicle they had advertised. It made no sense.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #710
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I love everything about the design of the Rivian other than the fact it's a pickup. I really hope they do well enough to come out with a sedan to compete with Tesla, because their interior design is way ahead

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #711
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I love everything about the design of the Rivian other than the fact it's a pickup. I really hope they do well enough to come out with a sedan to compete with Tesla, because their interior design is way ahead

I like everything about the R1S, except for, as I'd configure it, the price wouuld be $111,470.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #712
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Needs a 6' bed version, and it'd be perfect for me. Well, that and priced at $5000.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #713
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I traded my diesel truck in on a Santa Fe plug in hybrid on Monday! So far enjoying the fuel savings and parking hahaha.

Hopefully battery technology doesn't make my new car obselete in 5 years.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #714
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It almost certainly will, but are you planning on keeping your car that long?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #715
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I traded my diesel truck in on a Santa Fe plug in hybrid on Monday! So far enjoying the fuel savings and parking hahaha.

Hopefully battery technology doesn't make my new car obselete in 5 years.
You have nothing to worry about. All new cars purchased today will be obsolete in 5 years. It is the nature of the industry.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #716
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
It almost certainly will, but are you planning on keeping your car that long?
Ya I'm planning on 5 years at least but we'll see what happens. I guess I should be less concerned about outdated tech than those driving ice vehicles lol.

Still loving driving it. My biggest apprehension about the hybrid was the power it would have, I do a lot of highway driving and couldn't live without some passing power. It definitely has more jam than I thought it would for sure, even in electric only mode!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #717
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working on my wife that it's time for a new car, going to go full EV, but my one thing is we will only lease.

Don't want to drop $100K+ on a car that could potentially be worthless in a year or two if battery technology/range dramatically improves
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #718
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You have nothing to worry about. All new cars purchased today will be obsolete in 5 years. It is the nature of the industry.
I feel with almost certainty that an ICE vehicle purchased today will be worth more than an equivalent EV in five years.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #719
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I feel with almost certainty that an ICE vehicle purchased today will be worth more than an equivalent EV in five years.
I don't pay attention to the used market for EV's but Tesla's haven't really changed markedly over the years. If you bought a Model 3 today I'm not sure the Model 3 in five years will be overly different. I suppose if they added an instrument cluster that would be huge. I have a 240V outlet in my garage so I'm ready to go for an EV but it really bothers me that there's no instrument cluster in the Model 3.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #720
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Someone else trying to push the tech further:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/lucid-air-500-miles-ev

Quote:
Whether Lucid Motors will succeed in the brutally competitive auto business remains an open question. But its technological advantages are settled: With an EPA-rated range of up to 837 km (520 miles), the Lucid Air sedan can travel farther on a charge, and charge faster, than any EV in history.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote