Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #13241
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The overall increase in enthusiasm for an Eichel acquisition is encouraging.

I’m not a monster, I’m just ahead of the curve.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #13242
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
LA could be a great trade partner for Buffalo after a deal like this. Doughty has already called them out that they need to start winning and can't be sitting on all these prospects. I could see Hanifin being a great fit in LA and Buffalo could add maybe add one of their prospects.

Of course LA probably will make a run at Eichel too and if Buffalo is looking for less now and more future then they will probably out bid us
Apparently it’s been said that LA doesn’t want to pay up for Eichel.

Buffalo: Monahan (CGY), 2021 1st (CGY), 2022 2nd (FLA), Turcotte (LA), Kaliyev (LA), 2022/23 1st (LA), Maatta (LA)
Calgary: Eichel, Olofsson
LA: Reinhart, Hanifin
Old 06-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #13243
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
LA could be a great trade partner for Buffalo after a deal like this. Doughty has already called them out that they need to start winning and can't be sitting on all these prospects. I could see Hanifin being a great fit in LA and Buffalo could add maybe add one of their prospects.

Of course LA probably will make a run at Eichel too and if Buffalo is looking for less now and more future then they will probably out bid us
Buffalo has a rabid fan base that's not very happy. The fans will accept nothing less than a really good young established player. We all love Byng just not his contract. I would suggest an Eichel trade would see at least Tkachuk going the other way for cap reasons.

LA may have cheap young prospects but I doubt Buffalo wants Kopitar and NO team is trading 3 guys at 900,000 for a 10,000,000 cap hit.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #13244
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Apparently it’s been said that LA doesn’t want to pay up for Eichel.

Buffalo: Monahan (CGY), 2021 1st (CGY), 2022 2nd (FLA), Turcotte (LA), Kaliyev (LA), 2022/23 1st (LA), Maatta (LA)
Calgary: Eichel, Olofsson
LA: Reinhart, Hanifin
I like this. I can’t imagine reinhart staying in Buffalo after trading Eichel. I think Buffalo would be looking pretty stacked after these trades and probably could add some vet leadership to go with the kids

I do think the Flames will have to give up more than that though.

Last edited by Macho0978; 06-10-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #13245
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it's a matter of risk/cost assessment. Does it matter if you pay a kings ransom and not get your player on the ice potentially for a year?

Comes down to who's right in this medical argument between Eichel and Sabers. (And so far from today's news/rumors, Teams in a prime position to swing for Eichel have backed out, red flag for me)

Because if you buy at a premium and the Sabers are right, thats a grenade going off in your hands.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-10-2021 at 08:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 08:45 PM   #13246
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I guess it's a matter of risk/cost assessment. Does it matter if you pay a kings ransom and not get your player on the ice potentially for a year?

Comes down to who's right in this medical argument between Eichel and Sabers. (And so far from today's news/rumors, Teams in a prime position to swing for Eichel have backed out, red flag for me)

Because if you buy at a premium and the Sabers are right, thats a grenade going off in your hands.

We can do what Tampa did and get him back right before the playoffs!
Old 06-10-2021, 08:45 PM   #13247
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If we can trade only 2 of Monahan, Tkachuk and Hanifin and plus a draft pick for Eichel.

Gaudreau - Eichel - FA
Dube/FA-Lindholm-Mangi
Lucic-Backlund-Dube/Philips
Young guys or older veterans

Gio-Tanev
Hanifin-Anderssen
Valimaki-Mackey
Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #13248
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can't see any situation where buffalo would want Monahan, they will ask for Lindholm, a very good prospect and a top four defenceman, they need a centre coming back and although Tkachuk is a really good player, the problem is he is a winger.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #13249
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
I can't see any situation where buffalo would want Monahan, they will ask for Lindholm, a very good prospect and a top four defenceman, they need a centre coming back and although Tkachuk is a really good player, the problem is he is a winger.
I am swinging to the side that return for Eichel is going to be pretty underwhelming if half the teams agreed with the Sabres that surgery should have been avoided and Eichel wants out. Not saying the Flames will get him but I bet is closer to a ROR return than a homerun for the Sabres.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:01 AM   #13250
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I’m surprised so many people are now in favour of bringing in Eichel.

Pros:
- he’s a star centre
- under contract
- gives the team another look and retool to go for it

Cons:
- he’ll be costly in a trade, potentially even high licks going back
- injury concerns
- direction unclear on what the flames do with the rest of the team

To me, I don’t mind bringing him in at the cost of Monahan plus. Another team would easily trump that. If the team did bad this upcoming season with a guy like Eichel, I’d trade him for a rebuild immediately. My concern about giving away assets and picks is you essentially say you’re going at it again and looking to strengthen what you have more or less. The problem with the flames is they have no star and the depth isn’t good enough. The guys who they have which are paid first line bucks are putting up second line stats. The only way of getting through this in my mind is to deal any combination of the top three, for picks and prospects, tank this upcoming year and make a run for it in three years. Prolonging it by getting Eichel is a bad idea if the likely cost is high.
Another con is Eichel hasn’t proven he can be ‘the guy’. The losing ways of the Sabres can’t all be pinned on management. Eichel hasn’t demonstrated he can elevate his game when it matters, or that he can rally his teammates. In an article in the Athletic, some NHL coaches and execs opined that Eichel hasn’t learned to play the right way yet, or demonstrated he’s an effective leader.

He’s still young, and he obviously has talent. But I think he would fit best on a team that already had big stars and strong leadership.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #13251
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Another con is Eichel hasn’t proven he can be ‘the guy’. The losing ways of the Sabres can’t all be pinned on management. Eichel hasn’t demonstrated he can elevate his game when it matters, or that he can rally his teammates. In an article in the Athletic, some NHL coaches and execs opined that Eichel hasn’t learned to play the right way yet, or demonstrated he’s an effective leader.

He’s still young, and he obviously has talent. But I think he would fit best on a team that already had big stars and strong leadership.
Neither has anybody on the Flames roster. Eichel would give us the best chance of having a top notch threat. Especially paired with Gaudreau. Neither Eichel or Gaudreau have had the chance to play with talent like each other.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #13252
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack Eichel is Taylor Hall, without the "playoff success."
Old 06-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #13253
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Jack Eichel is Taylor Hall, without the "playoff success."
This is only accurate in that they are both hockey players.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #13254
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I didn't get the Hall playoff success either LOL
Old 06-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #13255
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1403335745335615490

I still want to see him as a Flame.

Acquire Eichel using Tkachuk and futures, sign Taylor Hall.

Gaudreau - Eichel - ?
Hall - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Dube - Monahan - ?
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #13256
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
And that neither of them are players that stir the drink. Neither player has shown themselves capable of making teams better. Jack Eichel is grossly over-rated and over-paid. Only way I take him (as damaged goods) is if the price was a minimal. Not risking $10M of cap space on a player that may not play, and even when he does, does not elevate the team. Since being drafted into the NHL the Sabres have drafted 8, 8, 1, 7, 8, and now another number one. And that was on the heels of having another #8 and #2 before him. When you have a supposed superstar player the team is supposed to get better, no go the other direction. Eichel is NOT what people think he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I didn't get the Hall playoff success either LOL
Should have used green text? For years Hall was criticized for not getting to the post season. Well, once he became a support player he got there. Still a ####ty player, but no longer can be criticized for not getting to the post season. Eichel has yet to get a sniff of post-season play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #13257
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can keep Tkachuk and add Eichel that would be ideal. Maybe sell high on two players that have really stood out in the media lately in Mangi and Wolf. The Sabres desperately need to secure their future in goal as well. Monahan, Mangiapane, Wolf, and the 12th pick in this draft for Eichel.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #13258
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If we can keep Tkachuk and add Eichel that would be ideal. Maybe sell high on two players that have really stood out in the media lately in Mangi and Wolf. The Sabres desperately need to secure their future in goal as well. Monahan, Mangiapane, Wolf, and the 12th pick in this draft for Eichel.
Too much for Eichel at this point! Also would sentence us to cap death IMO. Mangi is one of the few players on our roster obviously outperforming their contract value. I agree with some that we might want to trade him now if he doesnt see being a flame long term and maximize that value, but he's worth more than a throw in on an eichel trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #13259
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Can’t move Mang… just can’t. His cap hit this upcoming season is a huge plus.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #13260
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya Tkachuk would be a great peice to keep, its just the bonegeaded contract Tre gave that needs a 9M qualifying offer. Just Brutal.
Closed Thread