Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #101
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This is kind of weird, but I was reading McKeen's' Flames prospect rankings this year and they had Rafikov ranked 9th, ahead of guys like Nikolaev, Kinnvall, Gawdin, and Yelesin. And they had this to say:

Quote:
RUSHAN RAFIKOV, D (187TH OVERALL, 2013. 2019 RANK: UR)
Drafted in the seventh round after a great performance for Russia with the WU18s in 2013, Rafikov has since been a fringe feature on Russian national teams and has accrued 226 games of experience in the KHL, all with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. His KHL contract has only one year left to run, and even if he finally comes over to play in North America – as some suspect is in the cards – he will not feature on these lists anymore, as the 25 year old is on the verge of aging out of eligibility.

Outside of his contract, there is little that would prevent him from finding a home as a decent #5 on an NHL blueline.
I have no idea what the author has heard but it's the first thing I've read about Rafikov the Calgary Flames prospect in years.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-17-2020 at 11:26 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #102
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That is weird. I haven't even though of Rafikov in a few years. Looks like he has started coming into his own putting up 20 points last season.

I'm going to throw out a theory here. A couple of his teammates have told him good things about Calgary and possibly Alberta as former Flames Nakladal and Kronwall are on the Locomotiv blueline, then MPS, Anton Lander and Ty Rattie (who is also from Calgary) are teammates that played in nearby Edmonton. They also had MacT as a coach last season. That is a strangely large amount of ties to this area on that club.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #103
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rushan Rafikov and Ilya Nikolayev would know each other from MHL Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.
Treliving is starting to pick up more Russians lately, Dmitri Zavgorodny, Alexander Yelesin, Rinat Valiev, Artyom Zagidulin.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #104
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Added expansion depth! Free D man!

I was looking him up the other say, hes stable defensively. Only time he's ever been a minus player was his 2nd KHL season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #105
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Added expansion depth! Free D man!

I was looking him up the other say, hes stable defensively. Only time he's ever been a minus player was his 2nd KHL season.
Wouldn't he be expansion exempt?
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #106
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love it if Rafikov came over to play. I am not very big on Russians (I always cringe a bit when the Flames draft one, as few really hit and often the ones that do never want to come over or just end up returning to Russia for some reason).

With that being said, this kid seemed to have a lot promise. I really liked this kid's game. I only watched some games, but I always thought he was a standout defensively, great first pass, plays physical, great skater, and apparently loves to aggravate opposing players. Really plays with that edge. I never saw a game in which he left me disappointed, though it was years ago and I am definitely guilty of misremembering things all the time. I thought he was a shoe-in as a future top 4 defencemen. Hardly a big enough sample size to go by, but he seemed like a really good pick with a tonne of potential - though top 4 I felt was his upper limit.

Will be interesting to see if he comes over and how he ends up doing in the NHL - even if it is not with the Flames (I think his rights must be close to expiring now, no? 2013 draft).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #107
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I would love it if Rafikov came over to play. I am not very big on Russians (I always cringe a bit when the Flames draft one, as few really hit and often the ones that do never want to come over or just end up returning to Russia for some reason).

With that being said, this kid seemed to have a lot promise. I really liked this kid's game. I only watched some games, but I always thought he was a standout defensively, great first pass, plays physical, great skater, and apparently loves to aggravate opposing players. Really plays with that edge. I never saw a game in which he left me disappointed, though it was years ago and I am definitely guilty of misremembering things all the time. I thought he was a shoe-in as a future top 4 defencemen. Hardly a big enough sample size to go by, but he seemed like a really good pick with a tonne of potential - though top 4 I felt was his upper limit.

Will be interesting to see if he comes over and how he ends up doing in the NHL - even if it is not with the Flames (I think his rights must be close to expiring now, no? 2013 draft).
I'm not sure, but I think the Flames have his rights in perpetuity due to the lack of a KHL transfer agreement.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:00 AM   #108
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm not sure, but I think the Flames have his rights in perpetuity due to the lack of a KHL transfer agreement.
You are correct. If you look at our reserve list on CapFriendly it lists all our Russian players players that have never been signed as owning their rights indefinitely. This list includes a handful of players in the late-30s, including the infamous Ruslan Zainullin.

If also includes Karnaukhov as he went to the KHL while we still owned his rights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #109
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty sure the rights expire when they reach their Age 27 season, like any UFA.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #110
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I am pretty sure the rights expire when they reach their Age 27 season, like any UFA.
No they don't because he's never signed a contract. With no transfer agreement in place, teams own the rights of players they draft indefinitely. There is a reason we have a bunch of mid-30s Russian players on our reserve list.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: