Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #101
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Still drives me crazy that Hathaway got away for the paltry amount of 1.5 M a year. To those that are acting like 4 years is too much term, give your head a shake, its 1.5 M. His hits, sandpaper, willingness to go to the net to stir shiz up and ratlike ability of drawing penalties was worth the 1.5 alone, especially on this team which is really REALLY lacking these abilities.

Nevermind the fact that he actually does have some speed, good defensive play and can put up some offense.

Hath was also one of the few guys who brought it every shift in the playoffs and didn't allow Colorado to get him off his game.

IMO this is a much bigger loss for this team than people are grasping.
Hathaway brings some things to the table for sure. The problem is that, with rapidly escalating salaries for star players, that has to be made up somewhere. And somewhere is the 4th line, you just can't overpay them.

What they need to do - what any good organization needs to do - is keep finding replacements. At, or close to, league minimum.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #102
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classy goodbye note by Hathaway. Played great for us last year, and i wish that we could have retained him.

Hope he does well in Washington
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #103
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still drives me crazy that Hathaway got away for the paltry amount of 1.5 M a year. To those that are acting like 4 years is too much term, give your head a shake, its 1.5 M. His hits, sandpaper, willingness to go to the net to stir shiz up and ratlike ability of drawing penalties was worth the 1.5 alone, especially on this team which is really REALLY lacking these abilities.

Nevermind the fact that he actually does have some speed, good defensive play and can put up some offense.

Hath was also one of the few guys who brought it every shift in the playoffs and didn't allow Colorado to get him off his game.

IMO this is a much bigger loss for this team than people are grasping.
Hathaway and his 19 points aren't gonna make or break the team...you don't give guys like that four year deals.

Josh Jooris and Joe Colborne were supposedly big losses at the time

Last edited by dino7c; 07-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #104
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Hathaway and his 19 points aren't gonna make or break the team...you don't give guys like that four year deals.

Points do not equal value. Hathaway’s Value, IMHO, can’t be easily replaced for 1.5 million.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #105
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hathaway brings some things to the table for sure. The problem is that, with rapidly escalating salaries for star players, that has to be made up somewhere. And somewhere is the 4th line, you just can't overpay them.

What they need to do - what any good organization needs to do - is keep finding replacements. At, or close to, league minimum.
It's 1.5 M a season. That's a very small amount in a cap world. Funny how Washington a team who just won a Stanley Cup was able to see the value. The last thing the Flames needed was to subtract grit from this lineup. Nevermind our grittiest player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Bennett did, he had ~182
Bennett had 121 hits. Compared to Hathaways 200. Nice try on furthering the legend of Sam Bennett though.

Quote:

Yeah, you just proved you don't get it.

It wasn't about Hathaways 19 points. Any points Hathaway put up were gravy. It was about the way he played the game. Physical, chip on his shoulder, drawing penalties and being hard to play against.

What this team is severely lacking.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #106
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 4th liner putting up 19 points while playing the energy role near perfectly is a pretty good asset to have.

The contract he got is what he deserves, but not what this team can afford. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement though, hopefully one just as good.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's 1.5 M a season. That's a very small amount in a cap world. Funny how Washington a team who just won a Stanley Cup was able to see the value. The last thing the Flames needed was to subtract grit from this lineup. Nevermind our grittiest player.

Bennett had 121 hits. Compared to Hathaways 200. Nice try on furthering the legend of Sam Bennett though.

Yeah, you just proved you don't get it.

It wasn't about Hathaways 19 points. Any points Hathaway put up were gravy. It was about the way he played the game. Physical, chip on his shoulder, drawing penalties and being hard to play against.

What this team is severely lacking.
Don't tell me what I get or don't get...its your opinion

Hathaway was a decent player but is easily replaceable...crash and bang fourth liners are a dime a dozen and everyone loves them because they play hard

its the usual case of fans falling in love with fourth liners...never a good idea

Last edited by dino7c; 07-02-2019 at 09:28 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #108
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Don't tell me what I get or don't get...its your opinion

Hathaway was a decent player but is easily replaceable...crash and bang fourth liners are a dime a dozen and everyone loves them because they play hard
You are equating Hathaways point total to his importance to the team.

You obviously don't get it.

Oilers suck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #109
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are equating Hathaways point total to his importance to the team.

You obviously don't get it.
You don't get that there are a ton of guys that can crash and bang on the fourth line while barely playing any minutes.

It doesn't move the needle much as far as wins and losses

He will be replaced, team will be fine...guys like him are the easiest to find
Old 07-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #110
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You don't get that there are a ton of guys that can crash and bang on the fourth line while barely playing any minutes.

It doesn't move the needle much as far as wins and losses

He will be replaced, team will be fine...guys like him are the easiest to find
If they are that easy to find, I wonder why one of the best (and most well managed) teams in the league forked out 1.5 million for him?...when they could have easily found another cheaper replacement?
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #111
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
If they are that easy to find, I wonder why one of the best (and most well managed) teams in the league forked out 1.5 million for him?...when they could have easily found another cheaper replacement?
Its the term I think is bad...in four years is 31 year old Hathaway a good player for them? I doubt it

Its not the worst contract in the world but the of all the guys the Flames could lose this summer he is one of the easiest to be replaced for sure

not gonna cry over it

Caps had one nice run...last I checked they were worse than the Flames last season, they are older, and also choked in the first round

Hathaway doesn't make or break them either...he is a good pro
Old 07-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #112
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good guy and the type of player some fans get emotionally attached because he gives an honest effort. I’m actually impressed Treliving didn’t even try to keep him as mistakes like overpaying depth players with hustle and grit this have been a Flames tradition over the years. Good to see a GM finally learn from the past mistakes of Bouma, Jooris, Jackman, etc.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-02-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #113
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving learned from the Bouma experience. Thank goodness.

Good luck Garnet.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #114
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Lomberg can replace that element, although we sure could use another natural RW.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #115
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only forward with less ice time in the playoffs was Mangiapane. We’ll be OK without him and he’ll give the Capitals their money’s worth.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #116
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other intangible that Hathaway had last year was the developing chemistry with Ryan, which allowed him to put up points and game winning goals. So he played the honest hard nosed style, but got rewarded for it by creating chances and that line finishing those chsncrs, and that was the team's defacto energy line most of the season and playoffs.
So, we have to find the grit and a guy that can compliment the good Dr.
But yes, Flames weren't going to do a 4 yr term. 2 yr at 3.75 to 4 maybe.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #117
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

4 years. But also who is to say what Hathaway wanted. He was a UFA. It's his call. If the Flames offered 1.75x2 and Washington offered 1.5x4 maybe he just took the better offer for him. Hell the numbers could be equal and he could still want to play closer to home.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #118
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest problem is the Flames needed more players like Hathaway before they lost Hathaway.

Is anyone going to dispute the Flames need more grit and push back? More emotion and fight? More disciplined two-way play? We all watched the playoffs.

Again, a 1.5 M contract is such a low risk, especially for an energy player that brings what he does.

As far as saying this player is easily replaced, lets talk stats and not opinions.

Last year in the NHL he threw 200 hits:

There were only 25 players that threw more hits.

There were only 17 forwards that threw more hits.

There were only 5 right wingers that threw more hits.

He was a top 4 forward on the PK in ice-time and sported the lowest GA on the PK.

Flames PP goals against:

Hathaway: 10 GA, 123:37 TOI, 4.86 Goals Against per 60.
Jankowski: 14 GA, 148:13 TOI, 5.67 GA/60.
Lindholm: 19 GA, 178.95 TOI, 6.37 GA/60.
Ryan: 18 GA, 149.72 TOI, 7.21 GA/60.
Backlund: 16 GA, 102.67, 9.35 GA/60.

Tied for second on the team with Monahan and Lindholm with 5 game winning goals. Yeah, you read that right.

I honestly don't even think we know what this players ceiling might be.

He's gone. I get it. Just seems ridiculous he is no longer a Flame at that price. Four years of Hathaway could have been had for what we are paying The Real Deal for one.

It's annoying he got away, will be interesting to see what we replace him with.

The Caps got a good player on a great deal.

Oilers suck.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 PM   #119
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

He worked hard to get that contract, and he deserved it. However, Hathaway had one consistently good season on the Flames. Before that I would argue he has disappointed in his effort and consistency level. Will he remain consistent with his effort? If so, that's a good signing by Washington. I think we will have to wait and see. Giving these types of players term on their deals doesn't often doesn't work.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #120
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Hathaway, but I’m excited to see what Lomberg can do as a regular NHLer. Kid is a fan favourite in Stockton. He’s not a complete plug as he can really skate and he won’t hesitate to defend his teammates, doesn’t matter how outmatched he is. He should bring a similar forecheck and hit count as Hathaway and can play the PK. Will be hard pressed to score 10 goals and 20 points, at least not right away.

That extra $700,000 might be needed if they can’t offload any contracts or want to improve the roster.

Last edited by 868904; 07-02-2019 at 11:59 PM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote