Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #21
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very interested!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #22
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I figure curling is already covered by the Markin MacPhail Centre. Short track could go to Max Bell. Father David Bauer could host those low interest round robin hockey games. Though that is just running on a budget. If money were no concern, a new 3-4000 seat rink to replace FDB would be ideal.
Winsport IMO would be a better location for the lower key games.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Winsport IMO would be a better location for the lower key games.
Either-or, really. I just figure that curling is more likely to sell out that rink than the Khazakstan-China women's hockey preliminary
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As with CalgaryNEXT, timing simply horrible. Probably little to no appetite for big expenditures, especially to host the horrifying, abhorrent IOC. With a crap economy and taxes on the rise and the no good NDP running this province for 3 more years, people simply won't want this.
The timing may be horrible politically, but the cost of expenditures would be years away.

The timing is probably perfect, IMO.
  1. Something to be positive about and to help move things forward in a town that really needs a boost.
  2. The IOC is reeling politically, so it might be the best time ever to be negotiating with them.
  3. With the messes we've seen in recent Olympics, Calgary would potentially be poised to basically save the games and be the city that gets them back on the right track.
  4. It attracts federal and provincial infrastructure money - I, for one, would like to see a bit of that sent our way for a change

I am always amazed at how immediately negative most people are about basically everything.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love for the Olympics to come back. People can say they don't care for it coming back. But I think that's a load of crap. I guarantee you'll feel pretty warm and fuzzy on the inside when a local Calgarian wins gold in front of his hometown.

I keep hearing about how Calgary is a world class city. The truth is, we're not. But bringing the Olympics back is certainly a step in that direction.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #26
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The timing may be horrible politically, but the cost of expenditures would be years away.

The timing is probably perfect, IMO.
  1. Something to be positive about and to help move things forward in a town that really needs a boost.
  2. The IOC is reeling politically, so it might be the best time ever to be negotiating with them.
  3. With the messes we've seen in recent Olympics, Calgary would potentially be poised to basically save the games and be the city that gets them back on the right track.
  4. It attracts federal and provincial infrastructure money - I, for one, would like to see a bit of that sent our way for a change

I am always amazed at how immediately negative most people are about basically everything.
When people are losing their jobs and watching their taxes go up, a vanity event like this is undoubtedly the single last thing they want. And that matters the most. It's political suicide to support this when the economy is as it is. Maybe in 5 years things will be better and it'll make more sense. Right now if you put this to a vote, it'd be voted down at least 2-1 against. Even in 5 years I bet it'd get defeated soundly. Security alone will be billions, so very, very difficult sell just on that, let alone the infrastructure. You also assume provincial or federal money is coming, yet the province figures to be in deep trouble financially with the NDP, and the country still has a lot of debt it needs to work on getting down. Olympics is pretty much at the back of the line of priorities.

As we've seen in every major western city given the chance to vote on the Olympics recently, they've all soundly rejected it. Even in Boston, with tons of facilities in place, the people rejected it. Everyone has figured out the IOC con game, and everyone knows the IOC is a disgusting organization. It's why dictatorships are the future of the IOC, they're willing to give them whatever they want. Sensible countries know better now, thankfully. You're right the IOC is in deep trouble. Which is why not bidding at all is the way to go since buries them even deeper, and forcing the Olympics in countries no one wants is excellent. Let dictatorships enjoy it all they'd like.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
When people are losing their jobs and watching their taxes go up, a vanity event like this is undoubtedly the single last thing they want. And that matters the most. It's political suicide to support this when the economy is as it is.
The history of the 1988 games argues the exact opposite of what you are saying. The 1988 games were funded and built at the very bottom of the NEP recession. And they were wildly popular.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #28
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I believe that they said that a lot of the infrastructure left over from 88 is no longer good enough for modern Olympics.

So I am not sure we could re-use the bulk of what we have. Although maybe the Oval is still good enough.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #29
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Sort of an aside because I've seen it mentioned here and elsewhere on this site- but I really don't care about being a world class city and I don't understand why so many people do. Some people worry about what others think of them way too much. Calgary is my home, world class or not. I'll be proud of Calgary either way. Also the more world class we become the bigger and more annoying it will be to live here.

Pretty undecided... It's a long way away so I may feel differently but the first thing I think of when I hear this is increased taxes and buckling costs. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive with all that's been going on lately.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #30
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Savor the good past memories, forget about what could be.
BurningSteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #31
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure the Olympics are something you want to be hosting in this century.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Calgarian sports fan I say "Hell yes!"

From a financial standpoint I say "Hell no!"
Old 06-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #33
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The history of the 1988 games argues the exact opposite of what you are saying. The 1988 games were funded and built at the very bottom of the NEP recession. And they were wildly popular.
40 years is a looooong time ago. Back then I'm sure most people held little to no negative feelings towards to IOC. Now only FIFA may be a more hated organization. Pretty much nobody wants to host the Olympics anymore, I don't see Calgarians being much different. Unless the NDP going full commie happens, then who knows? But when the people get to choose, they reject it now. When the government forces you to host, well that's awful but that's about the only way it happens now.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #34
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see no reason at this point not to support it. Now that can obviously change as the specifics surrounding cost, construction, etc. are hammered out but it's worth looking into at this early stage.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ignite09 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
40 years is a looooong time ago. Back then I'm sure most people held little to no negative feelings towards to IOC. Now only FIFA may be a more hated organization. Pretty much nobody wants to host the Olympics anymore, I don't see Calgarians being much different. Unless the NDP going full commie happens, then who knows? But when the people get to choose, they reject it now. When the government forces you to host, well that's awful but that's about the only way it happens now.
Be careful that you aren't projecting your personal opinion onto the majority.

FWIW - and obviously totally unscientific - but a March 30 story on this put support for hosting another games at 53%: http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/edi...r-the-olympics

Though that is certainly lower than in years past.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #36
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Calgary benefits from already hosting it and having some infrastructure that could be updated with lower costs than building a new venue. Also some of the venues that would have to be built new (Flames arena) or massively renovated (McMahon?) will have to be done anyway. It may not be all that costly to pull off.

Also, IOC may be more flexible with the way games are financed since there isn't much of a appetite for bidding since how much it would cost for other cities that would be interested.

I believe at the very least the city should indicate interest in bidding, and see if it makes financial sense after some more detailed research. Hosting another Olympics will bring about more legacy projects for the city/region, tremendous amount of tourism revenue, and inspire some more civic pride for this growing city.

Plus, I'll actually get to take part this time.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #37
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
I believe that they said that a lot of the infrastructure left over from 88 is no longer good enough for modern Olympics.

So I am not sure we could re-use the bulk of what we have. Although maybe the Oval is still good enough.
The Oval is great, but there's no room for spectators. There would have to be a rebuild of a bunch of the venues from 88.

That said, I'd be intrigued to be a part of an Olympics. I didn't live here the last time they were through.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #38
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
The Oval is great, but there's no room for spectators. There would have to be a rebuild of a bunch of the venues from 88.

That said, I'd be intrigued to be a part of an Olympics. I didn't live here the last time they were through.
Along the track on the east side of the running track they can install temporary spectator seating; it's what they did last time. Maybe you're right though, they may need a higher capacity they what they had for '88.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #39
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Along the track on the east side of the running track they can install temporary spectator seating; it's what they did last time. Maybe you're right though, they may need a higher capacity they what they had for '88.
Yes and no, I'd say. If the Oval is still suitable long term as an international speed skating track, then it would make far more sense financially to make due with temporary seating.

The IOC and ISU would, of course, like to see new facilities built, but that general lack of interest in hosting the games plays to our favour in things like this.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #40
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every time I hear the term world class city, it makes me want to puke. Calgary and Canada are world class. to me, its either someome with massive insecurities or someone trying to exploit the insecurities of others. Its way over played and way overblown.