Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #1541
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You aren't married per their definition of marriage. Not sure why you would care
But he's married according to his definition and likely doesn't care if it meets anyone elses definition.

The statement that should be made is why do THEY care so damn much? Why do THEY care that their view of marriage be recognized by everyone including the government? Make no mistake that is what they want: a government where church and state are not separated. Well provided the church is their Evangelical beliefs.

I shouldn't care about their beliefs and definition of marriage and they shouldn't care about mine. But they do care, well care actually isn't the correct word, as they don't care about the person just that people follow their rules. That causes me to care about fighting against their forcing of the beliefs down my throat and in law. I'm not fighting their beliefs. They can have them but they need to keep them to themselves and out of government.

It's the difference between a Joe Biden and John Kasich vs an ever growing number of influencers in primarily GOP party.

Last edited by ernie; 08-31-2017 at 07:41 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #1542
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
But he's married according to his definition and likely doesn't care if it meets anyone elses definition.

The statement that should be made is why do THEY care so damn much? Why do THEY care that their view of marriage be recognized by everyone including the government? Make no mistake that is what they want: a government where church and state are not separated. Well provided the church is their Evangelical beliefs.
Of
When they try to impose their definition on others we should care. (And they do). But in the cope of that post Duffnan was complaining that his marriage doesn't count. And it's perfectly reasonable for them to say his hethan economic partnership with the government and his spouse has no standing. It's not even a discriminatory position to say God must be part of all marriages recognized by their church. (If the state did it it would be)

He is also not fighting against it. He's whining. It's like saying it's not fair that you don't think I get to go heaven. It's a ridiculous argument against religious marriage and adds nothing.

It's also odd that we still celebrate even the civil marriages as they are really just the sale by the father to the husband of the daughter/spouse.

In general we'd be better off removing the word as it's quite opressive.

Last edited by GGG; 08-31-2017 at 07:43 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #1543
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

But you know this isn't just a statement of their beliefs for the followers of the church etc. If it was it wouldn't have been on the news. It's another move in a long line of trying to get an Evangelical ruled country.

I don't normally buy slippery slope arguments as most are huge jumps in logic but it is a slippery slope when it comes to this group. It has been seen in several states where they worm their way in and start making law based solely on those religious beliefs. So I don't take these things as mere statements of beliefs but rather statements of their intention to remake laws if provided the chance. And those re-made laws will have clear winners and clear losers as they propagate.
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #1544
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It's also odd that we still celebrate even the civil marriages as they are really just the sale by the father to the husband of the daughter/spouse.
I think you did it wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #1545
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

aside from making a non existent entity happy, what is the point of a covenant before god?
my civil marriage status has a lot of implications with the government, insurance, legal etc.
I don't really see the point in what they want, oh, I guess except to keep them nasty gays from having equal rights.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #1546
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marriage only has as much religious significance as you give it. It's dumb to reserve the word 'marriage' only for those unions with religious sanction. Justice of the peace at city hall, party in Mexico, holy ceremony in a church - all marriages. If religious people don't like sharing a word with people who think differently, tough crap.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #1547
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
http://en.abna24.com/service/africa/...037/story.html

Grand Imam of al-Azhar: Atheists are seeking to undermine Islamic world

He added that one of the major causes of the spread of irreligiosity and atheism in the Islamic world is that some Muslim youth do not have the support for firm thinking and belief and cannot assess what they hear, especially since those who spread atheism spread their ideas with simple and comprehensible explanations for the youth.
Yeah well...ermm...no crap Yogi! Its a wonder guys like this don't forget how to breathe.
Spread atheism? Like ministry type work? It's kinda funny, with how fervent atheists are and steadfast in their views, it's almost as if they belong to a religion.

Honestly don't care one way or another of what anyone believes in, or not... I'm just waiting for the day when atheists show up at my door with pamphlets.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #1548
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'll just post the first paragraph of this, and a reminder a recent poll showed Muslims are more accepting of gays than Evangelicals in America. Combined with Joel Osteen getting lit up yesterday, the last 24 hours should reiterate that American evangelicals are a unique kind of awful.

https://cbmw.org/nashville-statement/

Ignorant backwater buffoon.

John MacArthur: one of the initial signatories of the "Nashville Statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #1549
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

It's ok. They're dying out.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-both-parties/

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #1550
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It must also be said that several churches and christian leaders have signed counter statements. In this neck of the woods 15-20 churches in Tulsa did so completely condemning the Nashville statement and welcoming the LGBT community to their churches. It just doesn't make the news.

It's not all bad...it's just bad that the churches and spiritual "leaders" with actual political power/influence are the ones on that Nashville statement.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #1551
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
America’s Changing Religious Identity
https://www.prri.org/research/americ...-unaffiliated/

The American religious landscape is undergoing a dramatic transformation. White Christians, once the dominant religious group in the U.S., now account for fewer than half of all adults living in the country. Today, fewer than half of all states are majority white Christian. As recently as 2007, 39 states had majority white Christian populations. These are two of the major findings from this report, which is based on findings from PRRI’s 2016 American Values Atlas, the single largest survey of American religious and denominational identity ever conducted. This landmark report is based on a sample of more than 101,000 Americans from all 50 states and includes detailed information about their religious affiliation, denominational ties, political affiliation, and other important demographic attributes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #1552
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It must also be said that several churches and christian leaders have signed counter statements. In this neck of the woods 15-20 churches in Tulsa did so completely condemning the Nashville statement and welcoming the LGBT community to their churches. It just doesn't make the news.

It's not all bad...it's just bad that the churches and spiritual "leaders" with actual political power/influence are the ones on that Nashville statement.
Yeah, I have seen this in the works for some time. I good friend of mine is a minister at a Baptist Union church (or is it General Conference? I can never get them straight) in the Edmonton area, and he has told me that the LGBTQ issue is the next bastion of Evangelical ignorance to collapse. In another decade things in NA Evangelicalism should appear quite different than they do today.

However, there is still a strong sense of resistance to change, and I think it is becoming more and more vocal as this group continues to lose ground. My wife was marching in the Vancouver Pride parade this year with work, and we were caught completely off guard by the somewhat vitriolic reaction among a group of our friends that we camp with every summer.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #1553
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
. My wife was marching in the Vancouver Pride parade this year with work, and we were caught completely off guard by the somewhat vitriolic reaction among a group of our friends that we camp with every summer.
That's kind of the hard part on a personal level. You know and like people that are kind and giving, and great examples for others...but who genuinely and honestly think being gay is "wrong" because they have been brainwashed their entire lives.

My wife's Grandfather was a Southern Baptist, and one of the men I respected most in my life. I named my son after him. But there was no talking to him about this issue.

You literally have to wait for the generation to die off in order to fully address the bigotry they have been taught every Sunday since they were toddlers.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #1554
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This is all kinds of awesome...

Old 09-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #1555
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

man, I love stuff like that.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #1556
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I wasn't sure where to put this, so it appears here as well as in the "Ongoing Science News" thread.

I gave an interview a few weeks ago to a journalist from the Times of Israel about the recent scourge of manuscript forgeries purported to belong to the Dead Sea Scrolls:

Dead Sea Scrolls scam: Dozens of recently sold fragments are fakes, experts warn

One of the really interesting features of this story is that so many of these fragments are being sold at exorbitant prices to American Evangelical institutions.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-05-2017 at 10:13 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 03:59 AM   #1557
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So TC want to start a new business together?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #1558
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So TC want to start a new business together?
Did you like where I mused about the identity of forgers as jaded grad students unable to secure permanent positions in the academic meat-grinder? I am still without a tenured post and in all honesty the thought has crossed my mind.

A friend in Germany just posted this a few days ago:

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed Twitter.)

Honestly, it seems to be a fairly easy enterprise to dupe motivated sellers in this market, and the prices for these items are at an all time high. There were rumours circulating about a year ago that a buyer in Utah was negotiating with a famous antiquities dealer for his collection of Dead Sea Scrolls fragments, and that the deal was worth more than $200 m. I am happy to report that the work of my colleagues and me played an instrumental role in the transaction falling apart.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #1559
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Here is another article which in part deals with my work published yesterday in Science.
Can the Museum of the Bible Overcome Sins of the Past?

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #1560
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

xtians be gullible

Quote:
Jesse Duplantis, a televangelist with viewers across the globe, says God told him he needs a new jet.#
Specifically, God told#Duplantis he needs a Dassault Falcon 7X, a three-engine private jet capable of carrying 12 to 16 passengers at speeds up to 700 miles per hour. The Falcon 7X, which would be the fourth plane owned by Jesse Duplantis Ministries,# has a range of almost 6,000 miles and costs about $54 million new, according to SherpaReport (although used ones are listed online for as little#as $20 million).#
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...jet/653202002/