Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default The future looks bright indeed-Calgary Flames prospects Dillon Dube, Matthew Phillips

"Dube, a 2nd round pick in 2016, tallied 76 points in 57 combined regular season + playoff games last season and has picked up where he left off this year with 12 points in his first eight games with the Kelowna Rockets.

Phillips, a 5'6' forward who slipped to the 6th round in 2016 due to size, is coming off a 50-goal, 90-point campaign and has taken it up a notch this season with 24 points in his first 10 games, which has him just a point off the league lead in scoring."
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Insane_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

cool. cool.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dube has an edge on Phillips curently based on how the two fared in an NHL camp and it wouldn't shock me to see Dube snag a spot on the club next season as he has some performances that were on Jankowski's level. Just needs to cook another season or two. Philips has skill in spades but needs to think the game quicker than other players at the pro level like Gaudreau to take the next step. In camp he was trying to do junior things against pros and that won't fly. Needs to adjust his game after he graduates to the next level.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips looks like he might put up a pretty crazy point total for the year.
He's smaller than Gaudreau though, so I'm not sure he'll ever be able to translate his game to a much heavier pro game.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
"Dube, a 2nd round pick in 2016, tallied 76 points in 57 combined regular season + playoff games last season and has picked up where he left off this year with 12 points in his first eight games with the Kelowna Rockets.

Phillips, a 5'6' forward who slipped to the 6th round in 2016 due to size, is coming off a 50-goal, 90-point campaign and has taken it up a notch this season with 24 points in his first 10 games, which has him just a point off the league lead in scoring."
You tagged this news and included no links?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

will be interesting to see how Phillips will do at the pro level. I guess they'll sign him at some point and he'll be in Stockton next season ... no idea whether his game will translate. There's room for small players in the NHL today, but he's not just small, he's tiny.

Dube on the other hand I have no doubt he'll be a solid NHLer in two years or so. Just a smart and reliable player and a heck of a pick ... Tkachuk + Parsons + Dube + Fox was just an unreal haul last year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

24 points in 10 games? Geezus.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
will be interesting to see how Phillips will do at the pro level. I guess they'll sign him at some point and he'll be in Stockton next season ... no idea whether his game will translate. There's room for small players in the NHL today, but he's not just small, he's tiny.

Dube on the other hand I have no doubt he'll be a solid NHLer in two years or so. Just a smart and reliable player and a heck of a pick ... Tkachuk + Parsons + Dube + Fox was just an unreal haul last year.
Matty Hockey.

Though obviously the right decision was made, Dube could've been a contributor on the team this year IMO. That kid has NHL game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Matty Hockey.

Though obviously the right decision was made, Dube could've been a contributor on the team this year IMO. That kid has NHL game.
He might have been given the 9 games, but I think he was a victim of the numbers game.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
He might have been given the 9 games, but I think he was a victim of the numbers game.
Oh, sure, I agree, and the nine games would have been a reward for a great camp, nothing more. They wouldn't have kept him past that anyway.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
You tagged this news and included no links?
Looks like he attempted to quote something, presumably from an article. It must be the same as including a link, no?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

It's a post from hockeybuzz

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-...-WHL/202/88205
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lighting it up in the WHL like past Calgary Flames legends Max Reinhart, Mitch Wahl & Dustin Boyd
Old 10-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #14
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

Phillips should probably get with some good trainers in the off season and prepare himself. I doubt he makes the NHL unless he can increase his muscle mass. I recall somewhere Martin St Louis said he had to reinvent himself so that he could find ways to be an impact during situations where he wasn't scoring goals.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanFromBC View Post
Lighting it up in the WHL like past Calgary Flames legends Max Reinhart, Mitch Wahl & Dustin Boyd
That's pretty much how I feel after watching prospects develop for the last decade. Dube and Phillips are lighting it up.......in their draft +2 seasons. In reality, they're closer to doing the minimum to keep their NHL dreams alive than they are to being thriving prospects.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
That's pretty much how I feel after watching prospects develop for the last decade. Dube and Phillips are lighting it up.......in their draft +2 seasons. In reality, they're closer to doing the minimum to keep their NHL dreams alive than they are to being thriving prospects.
Dube's training camp did a lot more than the minimum. Watch him at the WJCs this year.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not quite like Wahl, Boyd, and Reinhart. Tough to keep it up for the whole season but if he does then he's in a different league from those guys best years in the WHL.

Wahl: GP: 72 G: 30 A: 66 P: 96
Boyd: GP: 64 G: 48 A: 42 P: 90
Reinhart GP: 61 G: 28 A: 50 P: 78
Phillips* GP:72 G: 65 A: 108 P: 172
*Pro-rated
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #18
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Dube might make the team next year. Phillips surely in the AHL - hopefully his game will translate.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #19
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You forgot to mention Adam Ruzicka who has 8 goals and 15 points in 10 games. Was leading OHL in goals. 6'4 and 18 years old.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #20
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hoping Phillips will grow a few inches yet... he’s still a kid. Anyone know how tall his parents are?
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote