Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #61
Flamesm
Draft Pick

Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Why would they sign 29 year old forward to a long term deal?

Flames will regret anything over $5m x 4 years for Backlund, I love his game right now but I suspect he'll be one of those "peak at 26-30 and disappear" type players
If we look at similar players like Kesler and Bergeron:

Kesler: 6 yr - 6.875 per - 31 years old (when signed) 33 now
Bergeron 6 yr - 6.875 per - 28 years old (when signed) 32 now
Koivu 7 yr - 6.750 per - (bonuses as well) -27 (when signed) 34 now

All three are selke candidates, as is Backlund. Similar point totals, so I would be shocked if Backlund got anything less than 6.875 for 6 years. (especially using inflation with these similar contracts)

That being said, he is worth it. His line shuts down every top line in the league and he still has a great corsi. He is our best center (overall) and worth having for the 6 years. He is 28 now and will be great still at 34 (Kesler is looking good beside being inj. and Berg will be good around then too) Points may go down, but their defensive responsibilities (more important in my opinion) will make them worth it still.

Last edited by Flamesm; 10-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Flamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #62
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Good article on the Flames website: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/one-...st/c-292050330
Is there some stats that provides weight to performance in important games? Call it the Claude Lemieux factor.....

Backlund has a grand total of 15 playoff games 5-10 overall record. He has been involved in 2 or 3 or even say 4... playoff runs.... there would have been 10 "have to win games with a playoff atmosphere" in each of those runs. Total important games say 55 or so...

Intuitively comparing Backlund's performance to Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Kesler has him far behind in superior performance in important games category.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #63
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Is there some stats that provides weight to performance in important games? Call it the Claude Lemieux factor.....

Backlund has a grand total of 15 playoff games 5-10 overall record. He has been involved in 2 or 3 or even say 4... playoff runs.... there would have been 10 "have to win games with a playoff atmosphere" in each of those runs. Total important games say 55 or so...

Intuitively comparing Backlund's performance to Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, Kesler has him far behind in superior performance in important games category.
Why do you bring up these inane arguments all the time?

First you infer that the Flames will need to pay Smith 8 million on his next contract.

Now you're challenging Backlunds play based on a "clutch factor" that he may or may not have.

You use these strange fringe arguments to push you ideas. I honestly don't get where you're coming from.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #64
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is the new GRIT index.
The SPIG rating... Superior Performance in Important Games.
Stand by...
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #65
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick let's re-sign Backs for 5 before more of these articles come out!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #66
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Well, you found a way to spin this positive Flames article into a negative... you've provided zero data, if you would back up your statement it could actually be taken seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #67
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... Backlund sucks because his team hasn't been very good. Got it.

We should trade him and re-sign Bollig because he has a Cup - and he's gritty!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #68
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesm View Post
If we look at similar players like Kesler and Bergeron:

Kesler: 6 yr - 6.875 per - 31 years old (when signed) 33 now
Bergeron 6 yr - 6.875 per - 28 years old (when signed) 32 now
Koivu 7 yr - 6.750 per - (bonuses as well) -27 (when signed) 34 now

All three are selke candidates, as is Backlund. Similar point totals, so I would be shocked if Backlund got anything less than 6.875 for 6 years. (especially using inflation with these similar contracts)

That being said, he is worth it. His line shuts down every top line in the league and he still has a great corsi. He is our best center (overall) and worth having for the 6 years. He is 28 now and will be great still at 34 (Kesler is looking good beside being inj. and Berg will be good around then too) Points may go down, but their defensive responsibilities (more important in my opinion) will make them worth it still.
If Backlund is looking for 6.8M per you thank him for his service and ship him out of town. That contract would absolutely handcuff this team cap wise and you can probably kiss some key players goodbye when their contracts are up. I like Backlund but he is not on the same tier as the guys you mentioned. The only way I see it as feasible is if you are going to sign Backlund and trade Monahan and to me that would be insanity.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #69
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If Backlund is looking for 6.8M per you thank him for his service and ship him out of town. That contract would absolutely handcuff this team cap wise and you can probably kiss some key players goodbye when their contracts are up. I like Backlund but he is not on the same tier as the guys you mentioned. The only way I see it as feasible is if you are going to sign Backlund and trade Monahan and to me that would be insanity.
Agreed - Koivu and Bergeron have averaged 0.73-0.74 ppg through their careers (close to 60 points/82g season), while Backlund has only broken 50 points once, and averages 0.49 ppg through his career. Even Kesler has averaged 0.6 ppg, and I think he is overpaid. $6Mx6 would be more than fair for Backlund, and with Treliving magic I think he could get that down to closer to $5.5-5.75M.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #70
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Why do you bring up these inane arguments all the time?

First you infer that the Flames will need to pay Smith 8 million on his next contract.

Now you're challenging Backlunds play based on a "clutch factor" that he may or may not have.

You use these strange fringe arguments to push you ideas. I honestly don't get where you're coming from.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Someone said that based on Backlunds 1st 5 game the Flames had to sign him to a long term deal....

I said that Based on Smith first 6, he would be a 8-10M player. He was the best Flame on the ice in at least 4 of them. The point being that 5 games does not significantly change the need or urgency of signing Backlund.....

Stajan put together a few decent games (on a losing team) and the Flames extended him to a generous 12.5 over 4 that he played out on the 4th line rather than the 2nd.

However if Backlund were to be an obvious difference maker in a playoff series or two (as were the players that somehow people are comparing him to) then along with his stellar regular season performance he would merit a long term contract.

Up til now there are no players on the Flames that have shown they are dominate players in big games. Just tired of paying for potential without any proof of being difference makers.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #71
Flamesm
Draft Pick

Quote:
I used 6.8 as my number since that is what the other three players were getting. I also assumed that since the price of salaries are going up (see drai (8.5x8), ehlers (6mx7 as a wing), Drouin 6.5x6 year, etc. I think that Backs will get a 6x6 deal because he loves Calgary and Tre is a wiz. I would not be upset though if it was closer to the 6.5-6.8 as his defensive responsibility is a large reason why he is so important on our team and I think his numbers will be around the 50-55pt range this year as well. To say that it would handcuff our team for an extra 800k is ridiculous. I would not trade him or give him up as he is a key core part of our team. The way I see it is that Stajan is coming off of the books, so his salary will essentially be Backlund's. I guess I value Backlund higher than you do then, which is fine!

Edit:
Also, Raymond (1m), Lack (1.375) will come off and unless Lack plays crazy good, I don't see us resigning as we have depth in the AHL.
Versteeg 1.75m will also be off, but we may resign for a similar amount depending on how he does.
Jagr 1m (probably coming off?)
And a few young guns probably fill those postitions (janko (who is this one?), Foo, Poirier, etc)

Last edited by Flamesm; 10-18-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Flamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #72
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mark it here today backlund will sign a minimum 5-year contract at or under $5.25M per.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #73
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
It is the new GRIT index.
The SPIG rating... Superior Performance in Important Games.
Stand by...
Matt Stajan wants to renegotiate.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #74
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backlund is great and all but there is no way he deserves Kris Russell money
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #75
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Backlund is looking for 6.8M per you thank him for his service and ship him out of town
...snip...
So let's say the Flames are leading the division at the trade deadline. Are you saying you ship Backlund out of town?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #76
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

He won't be getting Bergeron or Kesler money. At least 400-500k less.

Backs gets murdered by those two in the faceoff dot seemingly ad nauseum and isn't quite where they are at defensively (even though he is still very, very good).
Old 10-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #77
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
He won't be getting Bergeron or Kesler money. At least 400-500k less.

Backs gets murdered by those two in the faceoff dot seemingly ad nauseum and isn't quite where they are at defensively (even though he is still very, very good).
400-500k less is still over $6m per, said it before and I'll say it again, If Backlund wants more than $5m x 5yrs you trade him fast and drive him to the airport. as good as he's been in his last 2 years with 47 and 53 points his track record still says he's a 3rd line center good for 25-35 points. this team can't afford to pay him anything close to $6m
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #78
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
So let's say the Flames are leading the division at the trade deadline. Are you saying you ship Backlund out of town?
Yes. If he continues to be the player we are seeing right now the Flames could very easily replace his contribution with another player. Unless Backlund picks his game up and is leading the Flames in almost every category, the team is better off making a deal for assets, then making a secondary deal for a stop gap to fill the hole. You can’t let significant assets get away and have nothing to show for them. Treliving has pushed enough chips into the hand. He still need to manage the stack long term.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #79
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
IF the Flames are leading the division at the trade deadline then you keep Backlund and go for a playoff run.

Then you hope that he is so good in the long playoff run that the Flames can't afford him.

It is the same as trading away the late 1st or early 2nd round pick that the Flames would likely get for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #80
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kopitar and Toews being sheltered at all in any way, what a silly statement
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote