Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #1041
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the New York Times...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/a...nal-album.html
Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #1042
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I found out this morning via Instagram notification from the Hip's account. We all knew it was coming, but it still hurts a lot.

I actually was kind of sobbing a bit. My 5 year old son came into the room (I introduced him and my daughter to The Hip a couple years ago) and asked me what was wrong. I told him "Gord Downie passed away." He knew Gord was sick, but I don't think he quite understands to the extent or why. I never expanded on it when I told him. Just "Gord is sick and won't be around much longer. Let's enjoy the music." For the past 2 years I've put my kids to sleep with some Hip (Wheat Kings, Bobcaygeon, etc) playing in the background.

Anyway, my son says "it's ok Daddy. We always have his music videos and records (I have all their albums on vinyl) to listen to. He's in heaven now with great Grandma."

I took these videos at the two concerts in Calgary last year. Yes, that's me singing along to some of them.

RIP Gord. You are loved and will be missed.

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #1043
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My college radio DJ friend in the US wrote this today:

"Truly a bard. Glad I had the chance to see them in the mid 90s in New Haven. Have never seen a higher intensity performer...Springsteen and Peter Garrett have similar live energy but it's a short list!"
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #1044
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

PM Trudeau with some very nice words today at a presser, and even some tears. Nice to have a human being as our leader. "We're lesser now as a country without Gord" paraphrasing JT, but so true.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #1045
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Why can't the United States have a leader that eloquent and in touch with the fabric of his nation?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #1046
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

106.7 Rock in Lethbridge has rebranded themselves "Gord FM" for the day, and are playing nothing but Tragically Hip. I rarely listen to the radio at work, nor do I listen to just one station for long, but I've tuned into "Gord FM". It's great. It's sad. Still, it's therapeutic.

As I type this they played "Firework's", and I noticed that they didn't edit out the F word. Back in the 90s, The Hip was the only band I noticed where swears weren't censored from the songs.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #1047
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I never thought I'd be listening to a Lethbridge rock radio station, but here we are.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #1048
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I have a pretty extensive tshirt collection (50+) and i always wear the next one in line. Today it was the concert shirt from the last tour with Gord's silhouette. Read the news this AM and played my Hip playlist on shuffle - first song up - "Heaven's a Better Place Today"
Man I am completely heartbroken - I'm so glad I made it back to Calgary for one of the last show. Rest easy Gord, Love you!
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #1049
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I have a pretty extensive tshirt collection (50+) and i always wear the next one in line. Today it was the concert shirt from the last tour with Gord's silhouette. Read the news this AM and played my Hip playlist on shuffle - first song up - "Heaven's a Better Place Today"
Man I am completely heartbroken - I'm so glad I made it back to Calgary for one of the last show. Rest easy Gord, Love you!
I'm wearing that shirt to work today.

I woke up, and grabbed my phone and my wife says "Don't look it today". I knew something serious happened. My first thought was, "Great, what did your sister do now?", then she told me. I was just like "Oh, that was quicker than I thought." Then when I got out into the living room and saw my oldest son watching Sportsnet, and that's when it hit me. It hit me because the normal sports central wasn't playing, it was just two guys talking about Gord Downie. A sports network dedicating time to a musician! That's when I got choked up. A guy who didn't have anything to do with what the channel brings to you, but they decided to dedicate time to him, because that is how much of an impact he had on our country.

So, I decided that I'm not going to wear my normal business casual attire. I wore jeans and my HIP Gord silhouette t-shirt. And so my boss walked into the office today, said "Nice shirt. I'm sorry to hear about Gord Downie, I know you are a huge fan." I think my boss aspires to be like Gord Downie.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #1050
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
PM Trudeau with some very nice words today at a presser, and even some tears. Nice to have a human being as our leader. "We're lesser now as a country without Gord" paraphrasing JT, but so true.
I would say we are not a lesser country today. We are a better country because of Gord, with or without him we won't lose what he has contributed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #1051
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I think my boss aspires to be like Gord Downie.
Don't we all.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #1052
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I would say we are not a lesser country today. We are a better country because of Gord, with or without him we won't lose what he has contributed.
I shared the news with an American friend in the office with a propensity for Canadian music. We listed to some Hip and shed a tear together. Gord transcended borders. He was just a great human being.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #1053
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you guys think that when people talk of Gord's love of Canada, that they sort of misunderstand the man a little bit? He might have loved parts of Canada or parts about being Canadian, but I don't really know how nationalistic Gord was. He took this country to task over a lot of things. A lot of the canadiana we celebrate about the Hip, relate to the bad parts of our history. I don't think Gord had an "unadulterated love of Canada". I actually wonder what he would have thought about people waving a Canadian flag at their concerts.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #1054
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Do you guys think that when people talk of Gord's love of Canada, that they sort of misunderstand the man a little bit? He might have loved parts of Canada or parts about being Canadian, but I don't really know how nationalistic Gord was. He took this country to task over a lot of things. A lot of the canadiana we celebrate about the Hip, relate to the bad parts of our history. I don't think Gord had an "unadulterated love of Canada". I actually wonder what he would have thought about people waving a Canadian flag at their concerts.
I think he found it inspiring, he believed in not only what Canada is but what Canada CAN become when we work together and right the wrongs created in the past and build a stronger nation and community.

He is everything that Canada represents and used his national recognition to bring light to many indignities in our history....he never used the spotlight to focus attention on himself.

RIP Gord, those 2 nights in August 2016 were the most emotionally charged shows I have ever been a part of.

"Heaven is a better place today"
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #1055
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It urks me that CBC has a title like this:
Quote:
Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53
and the New York Times has a title that is much more fitting:
Quote:
Gord Downie, a Canadian Rock Legend, Sings Goodbye
Have some compassion CBC, so utterly disrespectful and not surprising. Rant over.

Great post getbak thank you for sharing. I love the article.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #1056
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Have some compassion CBC, so utterly disrespectful and not surprising. Rant over.
Utterly disrespectful? That's a bit much don't you think?

I get the lovefest that some people have with him but it's not like they had big bold caps with "GORD DOWN(ie) FOR THE COUNT!" or "HE'S FINALLY DEAD."

If you want the news, that's the news. If you want a fluff piece or an introspective, you'll find it on CBC.ca and many other places.

BTW, cancer still sucks.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #1057
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually prefer the term "died" to "passed away". It's factual, not euphemistic, and leaves no doubt as to what has occurred. I actualled find "passed" to be less respectful. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I certainly didn't see anything callous or off handed in the CBC news story that would have made it offensive.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #1058
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
... "HE'S FINALLY DEAD."...
Downie himself said something very similar, about himself, in his interview with Mansbridge about a year ago...
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #1059
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I actually prefer the term "died" to "passed away". It's factual, not euphemistic, and leaves no doubt as to what has occurred. I actualled find "passed" to be less respectful. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I certainly didn't see anything callous or off handed in the CBC news story that would have made it offensive.
Yeah, when I took broadcast journalism many years ago, our instructor was an old CBC guy and it was made very clear to never use "passed away" or any other euphemism when announcing someone's death. You can get more personal in the story itself, but the CBC headline is pretty much how it should be written.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #1060
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sitting in the basement wearing my best Hip shirt rewatching the CBC Kingston broadcast and snivelling into Mr. Suave's shoulder. Screen's a little blurry for some reason.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote